Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

BGS - BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Svengali
Commander
Commander

BGS - BackgroundSet

Post by Svengali »

Image Image Image

BGS is meant as a starting point and this set is actually 3 oxps to do different jobs -released as separate oxps and a all-inclusive pack that combines them, so players can pick the one (or two or three) they like to use.

The packs:
BGS-C is a modified version of Aegidians customsounds.oxp, based on Oolites customsounds.plist (with permission).
BGS-I is a set of background images, based on Oolites screenbackgrounds.plist.
BGS-M is a script that controls ambient music and ambient sounds plus a few special sound effects.
BGS-A is the all-inclusive version to get a consistent pack.

[wiki]BGS[/wiki]

But enough tech-blabla for now - take a look in these vids, showing some of the features of the current version.
BGS Videos.zip (2.5MB, zipped).
Last edited by Svengali on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Nice vids! Not sure I would have the sound pack, but everything else is great. The sound on my laptop is rubbish anyway.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

JazHaz wrote:
Nice vids! Not sure I would have the sound pack, but everything else is great. The sound on my laptop is rubbish anyway.
So let me ask two questions (not only for JazHaz) about music/sound.

1. What kind of thing should be supported (and isn't already available via customsounds.plist)?

2. What shouldn't be done at all? Where do you see problems? What should be done in e.g. mission-oxps only?

The current status is that ambient music is played only when docked - via Sound.playMusic() (station-specific definition supported). Additionally sounds are played (2 soundSources, splitted into ambient (looped) and FX (not looped)) for a few situations (e.g. engine, engineUp and engineDown - ship-specific definitions supported).
Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hemlock »

JazHaz wrote:
I got myself one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Brookstone-Soundb ... B002H7HNCW

It works great on my laptop

H
Commander Hemlock
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Verrrrry promising stuff!

Personally, I like the background sounds in hte 'hangar' but thought the music was a tad too obtrusive.

Quite like the spinning down of the engine sound too
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

SoundSources need a .volume method. End result would be you can start, stop, loop, and adjust relative volume.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

From the videos, I find it hard to decide what is music, what is sound.

Rxke wrote:
Quite like the spinning down of the engine sound too
me too.

Looking forward to have this in the game, very nice.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I will try to put up a HQ- youtube vid of the sound set I'm working on this week with manly droid effects.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
SoundSources need a .volume method. End result would be you can start, stop, loop, and adjust relative volume.
This is unlikely to happen before next stable. Currently we have two completely different sound implementations that build on wildly different models, so adding features isn’t exactly attractive.

One of the things that might happen after next stable is a rewrite using OpenAL. This would allow for volume adjustments as well as positional audio.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Mmm the Youtube vid with sound has to wait sry.

My normal computer is giving sound recording problems in Fraps. I can of cours sample the output with my music computer but I only have a test version of Fraps so that is limited. Well maybe I'il buy Fraps anyway. In that way I can record a whole journey from planet to planet without having to press the record key every 30 seconds. I can then record the sound with my 2nd computer Both are connected to a Yamaha 01v digital mixing desk so I can record the sound of the first computer.

But tonight no new video. :( But maybe in the near future
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
DeepSpace
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DeepSpace »

Love those inflight sound effects, awesome stuff... :D 8)
Not so bothered about the commodities screens and that sound of hussle and bussle. Still sounds good, but not my cup of tea.
Definately love the in-flight stuff, when can I get those?!?!?!? :D :wink:
http://www.jblythe.f9.co.uk/oolite

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back it time of Breakfast!"
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Rxke wrote:
Personally, I like the background sounds in hte 'hangar' but thought the music was a tad too obtrusive.
Right. Some balancing of loudness levels has to be done. And I'm also not pleased with some of the sounds.
snork wrote:
From the videos, I find it hard to decide what is music, what is sound.
The last sequence (options screen) in the first video is music only. The screens OPTIONS and REPORT have no additional sound stuff, the charts only additional ambient sounds and MISSION is excluded completely.
Ahruman wrote:
One of the things that might happen after next stable is a rewrite using OpenAL. This would allow for volume adjustments as well as positional audio.
Would be a big step.-) Thanks for thinking about it.
DeepSpace wrote:
Definately love the in-flight stuff, when can I get those?!?!?!? Very Happy Wink
A few days after release of Oolite v1.74? But who knows. btw: Nice texture job in your Ship-Pack.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Ahruman wrote:
This is unlikely to happen before next stable. Currently we have two completely different sound implementations that build on wildly different models, so adding features isn’t exactly attractive.

Sounds great, Ahruman! Really looking forward to the MNSR becoming the MRSR (Most Recent Stable Release). I wasn't trying to nag about that, but when I saw Sven's post asking about what kinds of things should be supported, I think I misunderstood and thought he was asking about in core-code.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

So let me come back to the questions:

1. What kind of thing should be supported (and isn't already available via customsounds.plist)?

2. What shouldn't be done at all? Where do you see problems? What should be done in e.g. mission-oxps only?
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

DeepSpace wrote:
Not so bothered about the commodities screens and that sound of hussle and bussle. Still sounds good, but not my cup of tea.
This is pretty much how I feel too.

The thing with hustle & bustle, crowd sounds is that it has a random element. ie the mixture of sounds vary all the time as new people enter your hearing and people leave, and people don't generally speak all the time (unless they are female lol). In the game environment, you have a finite no. of samples which after a while you will notice the repeats and have you reaching for the volume control.

Also I definately don't like the hyperspace countdown, so obviously sampled from Star Trek's Majel Barrett-Roddenberry. This is Oolite, not Star Trek!!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!