energy saving light

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

energy saving light

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Unlike populations of other commanders' planets, the local humanoids ensconce raving lunatics in the forts of government whose latest rodomontade erupts energysaving little fluorescent light things upon us + their "longlife" siblings which, although not flourescent, only last a month; these objects are sending us all blind.

Filled with mercury - an element renowned for the enviromental sensitivity of those criminals entrepreneurs who supply it - and priced like they were imported from Pluto (reflecting the resources comsumed in their manufacture), each little lucifer emits lumens equivalent to a gnat in a blizzard which, since I woke up at 4 a.m. and only have one working example to do the whole house (don't worry, there is a small stepladder positioned under every light socket for me to climb up in the dark) so Whizz for Atoms and acceleration of everything bad
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
let's see how that goes,,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS how would I link "Whizz for Atoms" to the URL (so that clicking on "Whizz for Atoms" would take you to the address as though you'd clicked on the URL?)
yes got that thanks very much Cdr. Thargoid :)
Last edited by Zbond-Zbond on Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: energy saving light

Post by Thargoid »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
PS how would I link "Whizz for Atoms" to the URL (so that clicking on "Whizz for Atoms" would take you to the address as though you'd clicked on the URL?

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B000KBYQD6/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books]Whizz for Atoms[/url]
Whizz for Atoms
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Ah, OK, mercury = quicksilver.

Damn
I have a link to such a wonderful article about quicksilver, about broken CFLs or fever thermomethers, but - it is in German. :(

In short : Don't Panic! :)
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

thanks for the reassurance, and I'm sure the link would interest many - but I'm not panicking, today I'm raving D-:

I will go out and buy 2 x 6-light ornamental-ceiling-fittings for each room just so I can see and i h8 ornamental-lights i like bare technology @ 2 x 200W per room :x
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

hehe, when here they "forbid" ordinary lightbulbs - they actually didn't, but shops were so insecure if they were still allowed to sell them, I had big trouble getting an oven-lightbulb, which went broken of course right at that time.
Now everybody has relaxed, and I could get all kinds of oldstyle lightbulbs if I wanted. But I don't.

Lately the last one from the bunch we got along with a newspaper subscription, about 15 years ago, has gone. That is what I expect from longevity.
And here they do not cost really any more money than usual lightbulbs in purchase (not anymore), but save me a lot of money in running them instead of the oldstyle ones.

Of course, for truly ecological light, you could always hire some Arzaceans (Small Red Bug-Eyed Lobsters, galaxy 2), who produce light at the snap of their fingers. (they really do.)

But then again, they are also loud.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

still could be worse could be focused leds that burn out your retena. Still at least they are fairly non-toxic.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

ClymAngus wrote:
burn out .. non-toxic.
I don't care if they're toxic I just want enough light to see: all the energy savers are dim dim dim
HOWEVER we are off to the middle of nowhere* for a week of electronic music using laser powered spot/flood lighting in many colours + 3D projected phantasmagoria :roll: these things are excellent, last month they were set up in front of the rising sun and they competed effectively for an hour or so - bet they aren't "energy saving" :!: a home installation would improve visibility no end (especially since my visitor has commandeered the only light for the guest's sitting room) BUT I've swivelled the outside floodlighting around to shine in the windows :twisted: better visit a less regulated continentl and bring back another crate of industrial strength "high vibration environment" lights (which last for ages) (unless the sound gets cranked up)

*where I have recommended Oolite to one or two (ex-Elite aficionados)