Moving to another PC

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

kwyn
Poor
Poor

Moving to another PC

Post by kwyn »

If I want to play on a different PC, do I just have to install, copy the save file and put it in the correct folder, along with whatever oxp's I was using with the save file?

Thanks in advance!

Kwyn
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Yep, that's all you need.
What you can do, is just dump the entire Oolite folder to a decent sized stick, and dump a clone over the top of the basic Oolite install. Oolite is great like that, it doesn't hide any settings in odd places, or secrete things in the windows registry. Everything you need is in the folder.
Unless you're on Mac or Linux, then your saves may be hiding elsewhere...
Commander Monty, a Python Class Cruiser driver :D
Iron assed bulk haulers for the win!

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Infact once you've "installed" Oolite onto 1 Windows PC you can copy the entire Oolite directory structure onto a memory stick and play the game directly from there on any PC that also uses Windows - I tried this last year when I had two different laptops and a desktop on the go!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
kwyn
Poor
Poor

Post by kwyn »

Awesome! Thanks everyone!
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

I have a variety of kit at home. Mostly I'm playing on a tosh laptop, however I also have a Mac Power book G4 and a RISC PC 710.

1, Can the saved postion from the PC's be dropped into the mac directory?
2. Is there any way of getting a native ARM version together (if only for nostalgic reasons)?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

NigelJK wrote:
1, Can the saved postion from the PC's be dropped into the mac directory?
2. Is there any way of getting a native ARM version together (if only for nostalgic reasons)?
1. Yes.
2. No, unless someone with the right hardware makes a build of the game and forwards it to us.
Clanger
Poor
Poor

Post by Clanger »

Hi I'm thinking of using LiveMesh to sync my oolite on two pcs so it doesnt matter which one I use I still have the same save game and oxps.

Hopefully it should work..
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Clanger wrote:
Hi I'm thinking of using LiveMesh to sync my oolite on two pcs so it doesnt matter which one I use I still have the same save game and oxps.
If it works let us know, as this would be nice!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I cant see any reason it wouldnt work.

I guess (I know this is the wrong forum as its PC but I think its on topic) for the rest of the world it should be possible to use rsync just as easily.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Simplest way is to just copy the whole Oolite folder, save games, OXPs and all. That's all the installer does, it doesn't reference the Windows registry or anything like that.

Hence you can also just install it onto a USB key or something similar and play it from that on any Windows PC.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Thargoid wrote:
Simplest way is to just copy the whole Oolite folder, save games, OXPs and all. That's all the installer does, it doesn't reference the Windows registry or anything like that.
Well, the installer does actually reference the Windows registry, but not in a way that influences the portability of the game to other media. The keys that are created by the installer refer mostly to the Start Menu items and the uninstall process and are HKLM\Software\Oolite and HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Oolite.
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

I have a question related to this. My 7 year old lad seems to be getting into Oolite but he wants as much in the game as he can possibly cram! He loves the Star Wars ships for example (and why not?!). But I don't necessarily want the same oxp's in my game, and I dont want to keep shifting them in and out of the folder.

I tried to make a copy of the oolite folder and rename it, just with his save file in, but when I loaded it it found all my files too.

So is the a simple way he can have his own installation with his own oxp folder?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

dalek501 wrote:
I have a question related to this. My 7 year old lad seems to be getting into Oolite but he wants as much in the game as he can possibly cram! He loves the Star Wars ships for example (and why not?!). But I don't necessarily want the same oxp's in my game, and I dont want to keep shifting them in and out of the folder.

I tried to make a copy of the oolite folder and rename it, just with his save file in, but when I loaded it it found all my files too.

So is the a simple way he can have his own installation with his own oxp folder?
You have already done what is necessary for a duplicate installation, i.e. copied the game root folder to another location. The fact that your savegames are still visible in your son's game is that Oolite remembers the location of the folder where it last saved or loaded games from. You will just need to navigate to your son's oolite-saves folder and once done, the default search location for savegame files will be that. You own installation will be looking in your savegames folder, as always.

Oh, and you will need to make another shortcut for your son's game's executable location, of course.
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

Thanks a_c. Very simple really. I was just confused by the fact it was still looking at my old save files. Harry is a very happy boy! :D