Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

When does Dr Who restart

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Not all of us has seen them yet. I'm slowly buying / viewing the episodes via my XBox360 and am just nearing end of Season 2. So, please do be respectful of those of us who don't receive them free (or timely). :P
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Everytime I see Dr Who mentioned, or THG2G too, I feel so sorry, that there is no English language version of Ijon Tichy - Raumpilot.

A very free adaptation of some of Stanislaw Lem's Star diaries, 6 shows about 15 or 20 minutes each. New ones are in the making. :yay:

I think it surpasses all other SF series, in fun, creativity, good music and most gorgeous female humanoid (well, ...) in a SF series. :D

I can see how it must be most most difficult to have that Tichy-speak German translated.
But still, I am positive that it would be soo well appreciated in the nation that came up with Dr Who and THG2G. :(

Sad world.

(German speakers - DvD only 10,-€ :) )
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Saw it online when it was free to watch at ZDF. I don't know if it still is, but the show was great! :D
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

think have seen this with Spanish sub-titles
v. interesting experience, and the music was excellent

Dr. Who ..crossing another ocean, we have just seen The Master engaging in antics (our St. Valentine's day treat), his very cool wife seeming a bit miffed (whilst remaining very cool) and usually episodes are available on DVD before they are broadcast (but I don't buy those, preferring the social event of a broadcast) :)
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

[quote="Selezen"]If it's stuff from over a year ago (the S4 stuff), is it really a spoiler? I think everyone has seen it by now... Oh, and when you encode something, please list how you've encoded it so that I don't have to trawl across the internet for encryption methods... ;-)

(it's ROT13, by the way everyone)

Oops I'm sorry... erm I mean, that's part of the fun isn't it?

I had seen only ROT13 here, so I figured it was some kind of standard agreed upon before I got here.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Chrisfs wrote:
Gur svanyr bs Frnfba 4 jnf n ynfg zvahgr 'tbgpun' nf sne nf Qbaan jnf pbaprearq. Qrirybcvat n punenpgre gung sne naq gura pbafvtavat ure gb n iveghny rkvyr ntteningrq zr. Gur ynfg fcrpvny jnf qenja bhg, jvgu n ahzore bs grnfre nyzbfg qrnguf, naq lrf gur gnagehz pnhtug zr bss thneq nf jryy.
Trrfu qhqr, lbh'er pbzcynvavat nobhg ertrarengvat gb fnir n zna jub jura ur qvrf, ur qvrf.
I quite liked the 1st Doctor (William Hartnell) who was generally having tantrums (as the doctor) & ad-libbing lines (as is reported in divers retrospectives) (as the actor) which generated a certain spontaneity, and he commented - ?"The Three Doctors" I think - that regeneration involves actually dying, then being regenerated; anyway, more recent doctors have made similar comments + that there is a sort of time constraint as well, so a degree of tetchiness might be expected.
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Post by _ds_ »

JazHaz wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Check out the Series 5 Preview, on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnPUF8an-XE&fmt=34
Did you spot the new look TARDIS, on about 23 seconds? Well I assume it is it anyway.
Old-look, actually – well, externally, at least.
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.
DeepSpace
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DeepSpace »

Yeah I'm looking forward to the new series. Stephen Moffat is a massive DW fan and a massive fan of the old series. Apparently he wanted an older doctor, someone middle aged, but I guess the BBC chiefs twisted his arm. The Exterior of the tardis has indeed altered to be more like the original Police Boxes of London. Also your right JazHaz that is a sneaky shot of the internals of the new tardis. Moffat wanted to get back to something more like the original series, with the old style roundels etc. Looking forward to that :D
The stories sound much more interesting too. The company I work for made a pitch for a Doctor Who video game and got some of the early episode titles and a few of the concepts for the internals of the new Tardis.
I can't wait for the new series.
Neil Gaiman is indeed writing for the next series by all accounts and Richard Curtis has written an episode too for this series, I guess its a comedic episode, so it could be fun. :)

All we need now is someone to create a Tardis ship for Oolite!!!! :D
http://www.jblythe.f9.co.uk/oolite

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back it time of Breakfast!"
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

That's already been done, I believe...

<search search search>

Yep.

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=3673

Enjoy!

Now the challenge will be to create a SHADY TARDIS! :-)
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
I quite liked the 1st Doctor (William Hartnell) who was generally having tantrums (as the doctor) & ad-libbing lines (as is reported in divers retrospectives) (as the actor) which generated a certain spontaneity, and he commented - ?"The Three Doctors" I think - that regeneration involves actually dying, then being regenerated; anyway, more recent doctors have made similar comments + that there is a sort of time constraint as well, so a degree of tetchiness might be expected.
I read that Tom Baker, after a few years, also ad-libbed lines and would read over scripts and change lines to suit him better, to the consternation of writers.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Allegedly he didn't so much "ad-lib" as "forget" his lines and have to make them up as he went...

Some sources also claim that he spent a lot of the time on set drunk. Or at least tipsy.
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Selezen wrote:
Some sources also claim that he spent a lot of the time on set drunk. Or at least tipsy.
Best way I've found to cope with reading Oolon Colluphid's junk :lol:
Commander Monty, a Python Class Cruiser driver :D
Iron assed bulk haulers for the win!

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Getting excited now, the new Dr Who premieres on BBC1 in under two hours!! 8) :D
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I like the new Doctor Who very much (with possibly exception of the strange jittery thought process camera thing that happened a couple of times). It/He is quirky in a way I like!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I like the new Doctor Who very much (with possibly exception of the strange jittery thought process camera thing that happened a couple of times). It/He is quirky in a way I like!
Just finished watching Dr Who Confidential... and that jittery thought process thing was explained as the way the Doctor notices things.

What a great episode! Love the new TARDIS too, very Victorian Steampunk-esque.

Confidential showed Matt Smith being shown around the new set, which is much bigger than previously. There are stairs on opposite walls, probably going to other rooms in the TARDIS, apparently if you go up one you appear at the top of the other stairs! I've always wanted to see the other locations in the TARDIS, which was hinted at in this episode (library and swimming pool) and also previously (I remember the 6th Doctor in a walk in wardrobe type of room.

Quite a few hints as to whats to come, saw a couple of glimpses of River Song (the Doctor's future wife). Also I love the Daleks makeover, in camouflage paint (and a little Union flag under the eyestalk!).

I thought that David Tennant was a hard act to follow, but on the evidence of this one episode, I think Matt Smith has exceeded my expectations!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!