Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Can't build on Win64?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

wades
Above Average
Above Average

Can't build on Win64?

Post by wades »

One of the things I thought I would do pretty soon after picking this game up would be to build it myself. However, looking at some threads in the Windows forum I saw something about how you can't build it on 64-bit Windows.

Is that right? What's the problem?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Can't build on Win64?

Post by DaddyHoggy »

wades wrote:
One of the things I thought I would do pretty soon after picking this game up would be to build it myself. However, looking at some threads in the Windows forum I saw something about how you can't build it on 64-bit Windows.

Is that right? What's the problem?
EDIT: Deleted my tosh based on far more sensible answer from A_C below.
Last edited by DaddyHoggy on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

wades: To be honest, I have never tried it myself, given that I do not have a 64-bit system and if you would like to give it a try, please do so and let us know how it goes. But I think it will be problematic - if at all possible, because the MinGW compiler we use generates 32-bit code. For generating 64-bit native code under Windows, there is another project in development, namely MinGW64. I do not know what the status of this project is and if it has reached a stage where a demanding application like Oolite can be built with it.

It might be possible to build Oolite on an 64-bit system in Win32 compatibility mode, but I have no idea how this would be achieved and we have had reports of unsuccessful build attempts in the past. If you can make it happen, I would be very interested to know how.
wades
Above Average
Above Average

Post by wades »

OK.

My guess is that the output of the 32-bit compiler should be fine, after all I'm running a binary that was presumably built with it.

One thing that jumped out at me when I was looking at the build instructions was a requirement that things be on drive D:. I only have one logical drive on my machine, can I fake it using subst or something?

Is there a reason why this isn't controlled by, say, an environment variable?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

subst should work fine for simulating a drive D:. As for an environment variable controlling this, it could be possible theoretically, but you would have to change a lot of GNUstep core makefiles which contain direct references to the drive GNUstep is installed on, which makes it somewhat impractical.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Really? I think Screet is building trunk on win64 systems all the time.

Am I not getting something?
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

hm...just curious, any possiblity of sharing the Win64 build once it's done? I am running Dziet's win32 builds on my 64bit machine, but I noticed that 32bit apps run slower than expected cause of compatibility mode.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

op : You could try doing it in a virtual machine that has a 32bit system installed.

If your 64bit OS is win7 professional or ultimate, you get the "XPmode" for free from Mícrosoft (via download from microsoft).
It is VirtualPC + a licensed winXP pro 32 bit (with no 3d acceleration) built to run in that Virtual PC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XP_Mode#Windows_XP_Mode
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... fault.aspx
wades
Above Average
Above Average

Post by wades »

Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

snork wrote:
op : You could try doing it in a virtual machine that has a 32bit system installed.

If your 64bit OS is win7 professional or ultimate, you get the "XPmode" for free from Mícrosoft (via download from microsoft).
It is VirtualPC + a licensed winXP pro 32 bit (with no 3d acceleration) built to run in that Virtual PC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XP_Mode#Windows_XP_Mode
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... fault.aspx
I don't think this is about some kind of emulation. After all, if he wanted 32 bit build it's possible to download from Dziet's page.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

another_commander wrote:
For generating 64-bit native code under Windows, there is another project in development, namely MinGW64. I do not know what the status of this project is and if it has reached a stage where a demanding application like Oolite can be built with it.
Hmmm.. I do now have access to a 64 bit PC.. I might investigate this..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: ..

Lestradae wrote:

If I am not mistaken, Screet is building on 32-bit, then runs it on different, 64-bit system. At least, that's what I remembered from the last time he posted about this.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

another_commander wrote:
Lestradae wrote:

If I am not mistaken, Screet is building on 32-bit, then runs it on different, 64-bit system. At least, that's what I remembered from the last time he posted about this.
Ah, that may be as you say. And explains the problem. Bad news for wades :(
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

another_commander wrote:
This is how I am doing it. IIRC, if I build directly on Win64 (Vista x64 Ultimate, 6GB Ram), MinGW opens 127 windows (command prompts actually), throws an error, then closes all 127 as the process crashes.
wades
Above Average
Above Average

Post by wades »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
another_commander wrote:
This is how I am doing it. IIRC, if I build directly on Win64 (Vista x64 Ultimate, 6GB Ram), MinGW opens 127 windows (command prompts actually), throws an error, then closes all 127 as the process crashes.
Which is what I'm seeing. With GNUstep 0.23 I can get one command prompt up as one would expect.