Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Missle wouldn't hit

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Missle wouldn't hit

Post by Chrisfs »

I fired a normal missle at a ship (an Asp) and was able to see the whole flight on the front view. It headed straight for the ship and then rather then hit it, it circled around the target ship as if in orbit about twenty times before simply disappearing. It was quite strange behaviour. Though missle shouldn't be so fast as unavoidable, this seems clearly unable to to any damage at all.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

This is caused by the missile flying towards the ship is right now, not aiming for where it will be when it gets there (does that make sense?).

There was some work done to "fix" it, so now the missile accuracy is used to work out how well it can calculate the correct position of the target.
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

So I have been paying a bit more attention. The asp was pretty far away.
I fired a missle at a cobra that was closer and watched that he indeed did all sorts of evasive manuevers and the missle kept making these broad passes.

From a distance, it could have been that there was not enough detail and perspective to see it the first time, though I think I will keep an eye on it some more.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Missle wouldn't hit

Post by Eric Walch »

Chrisfs wrote:
I fired a normal missle at a ship (an Asp) and was able to see the whole flight on the front view. It headed straight for the ship and then rather then hit it, it circled around the target ship as if in orbit about twenty times before simply disappearing. It was quite strange behaviour. Though missle shouldn't be so fast as unavoidable, this seems clearly unable to to any damage at all.
Not hitting directly is quite deliberate. I don't know how it works now, but in the old 1.65 code there was a "accuracy" parameter that could be defined in shipdata. When setting at most accurate, the missile went straight on its goal. When no accuracy was given, like with the standard missiles, a random accuracy was selected for each missile.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

So want some improved native missiles?

Here's how to do it.

Create a Config directory in your AddOns.
Navigate to %installed directory%Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Config/.
Copy shipdata.plist to AddOns/Config/.
Open the AddOns/Config/shipdata.plist in a text editor. I highly recommend anything but Windows Notepad for that, use Notepad++ instead.
Find "missile" and "ecm-proof-missile" (with quotes).
Add the line
accuracy = 5;
to each of the entries.
Save and close the file. Restart the game with the shift key held down, you're done!

A word of warning: If you do this, your missile shots will have a better chance of hitting your enemies. But their missiles will have a better chance of hitting you too, so make those tweaks at your own risk.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

That's your classic Faulcon De Lacy HM3 homing missile...

I put those in the Snoopers OXP and nicknamed them the MISS-ile, as in

"Has anyone actually hit anything with one of those?" :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
harry747
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Missle wouldn't hit

Post by harry747 »

Chrisfs wrote:
reminds me of something i like to do in deus ex: fire a GEP rocket at a pigeon. the pigeon takes off, the rocket follows it, and if it manages to avoid ground-based objects, it'll literally run rings around the pigeon until it runs out of fuel and returns to earth on a ballistic trajectory :-)
MacBook pro, OSX 10.8.5, Xcode 5