Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

does anybody have a Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) deb install?

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Post by _ds_ »

Micha wrote:
Generally it is assumed that a particular repository (or apt-line) is for a specific version of Linux, instead of having packages from various different versions all mashed together. This is certainly the case for the repositories on 'debs.oolite.org'.
Hmm? Per-kernel repositories? Are you sure about that?
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Post by _ds_ »

Micha wrote:
Poro wrote:
People sometimes get put-off from Playdeb when they realise they have to follow the instructions given to enable access to some repositories.
Well,same thing for the Oolite debs. But until there's a new stable version of Oolite, there's no way it'll get updated in the official distro repositories (ie, Debian/Ubuntu).
It may be that 1.73.x is considered to be stable enough; but, IMO, the major stumbling block is the mozjs embedding.
Until then you have to 'hack' Oolite onto your system via the autopackager release, download-compile-install your own copy,
And if you do that, I strongly suggest installing devscripts, running “debuild binary” and installing the resulting .deb.
or use an unofficial repository such as PlayDeb or Oolite Debs. The latter is the least hacky mechanism, assuming you trust the repository to get it right.
Well, if you will go spraying mud and oil over the other mechanisms… ;)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

_ds_ wrote:
Micha wrote:
Generally it is assumed that a particular repository (or apt-line) is for a specific version of Linux, instead of having packages from various different versions all mashed together. This is certainly the case for the repositories on 'debs.oolite.org'.
Micha didn't say "per-kernel", he said "specific version", such as Hardy, Jaunty, etc.. there's quite a difference..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Post by _ds_ »

Diziet Sma wrote:
_ds_ wrote:
Micha wrote:
Micha didn't say "per-kernel", he said "specific version", such as Hardy, Jaunty, etc.. there's quite a difference..
Exhibit A: “a particular repository (or apt-line) is for a specific version of Linux”. For example, I recently tested a patch which works for a specific range of versions (strictly, releases) of Linux: specifically, 2.6.32 to (so far) 2.6.33-rc6.

Linux is the kernel. It is not the userland.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Mmmm.. ok. I see your point, and agree.. he changed subjects in the middle of the paragraph. He begins by discussing repositories, which do indeed refer to Hardy, Jaunty, etc, then switched to talking about specific kernel versions. Rather confusing.. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Apologies... I -meant- 'Distro' when I -said- 'Linux'. I should know better than to call 'Linux' the OS when I know it's 'only' the kernel. Most users do see the word 'Linux' as referring to the entire OS though. But I should not add to the confusion. My bad.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.