Is this possible?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Is this possible?

Post by ADCK »

I have an idea for a ship i'm working on, its a real big ship with a massive cannon on the front.

But this isn't about the ship, it's about missiles.

I was wondering, I have a custom missile (it looks like a green-plasma-bullet-thingy) would it be possible to make a missiles AI not track a target and only fly forward, and either explode on impact or after a certain distance?

The end product would be quite devestating (if it works as i imagine it would) and would look awesome.

Can it be done?
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

your talking about a rocket, or a rail gun aren't you? Missile oxp's have been invented before I would suggest maybe looking at the salvage missile. That has to be pointing at a target to hit it. Also sub munitions have also been created as in missile rack. You might be able to combine and adjust the code to get what you need. If you do and it works a rocketpod oxp would be kind of funky. :D
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Couldn't you just edit the missiles data so that it had terrible pitch and roll performance - that way it would effectively fly straight - I think the nuclear torpedoes are only good against big slow ships for this very reason.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Couldn't you just edit the missiles data so that it had terrible pitch and roll performance - that way it would effectively fly straight - I think the nuclear torpedoes are only good against big slow ships for this very reason.
Ah of course, I believe you can do 0 pitch/roll as well, thanks that would be a rather simple (and obvious, dunno why i didnt think of it) way of doing it.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Most of your work has already been done. Daddy mentions nuclear torpedoes, so, simply modify a nuke to serve as the ammo for your railgun. Stick a big flasher on it's warhead end for the glow effect.

EDIT: I think there's a hardcoded limit as to how much missile ammo a ship can carry. I know it tops out at 16 for player ships.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Most of your work has already been done. Daddy mentions nuclear torpedoes, so, simply modify a nuke to serve as the ammo for your railgun. Stick a big flasher on it's warhead end for the glow effect.

EDIT: I think there's a hardcoded limit as to how much missile ammo a ship can carry. I know it tops out at 16 for player ships.
The new limit is 16 (in any one go) but Kaks was pained to point out that replenishment is fully scriptable - so you could script a delay while shifting from internal stores or script replenishment from a supply ship....
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

ah yes, replenishment, does any oxp have an exaample of missile replenishment, eg infinite ammo?
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

Wait, weren't there some kind of missile packs? Is there some limit to how many missiles can one pack contain?
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Cmdr Wyvern wrote:

The new limit is 16 (in any one go) but Kaks was pained to point out that replenishment is fully scriptable - so you could script a delay while shifting from internal stores or script replenishment from a supply ship....
Oooo what's the scripting language for that java?
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

All oolite is javascript (with some legacy exceptions that we dont talk about).

Javascript != java ;)
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Sarin wrote:
Wait, weren't there some kind of missile packs? Is there some limit to how many missiles can one pack contain?
If I remember right, Thargy made rack-mounted missiles. Each rack mounted on a pylon, and loaded three missiles each. You could mount as many racks as you had free pylons, and in such a way, could carry missiles out the wazoo. It was pretty clever way to work around the 16-round limit.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Hey I'd pack a rail gun if one was an option. Oh remember to auto detonate the rounds after a certain distance else they will go on forever and slow your machine.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
If I remember right, Thargy made rack-mounted missiles. Each rack mounted on a pylon, and loaded three missiles each. You could mount as many racks as you had free pylons, and in such a way, could carry missiles out the wazoo. It was pretty clever way to work around the 16-round limit.
Yup, OXP imaginatively called "Missile Rack", and comes in three flavours for your delectation and delight (downloadable via the links below). Each mini-missile are of lower power than their standard kit equivalent (so as not to unbalance things), but could turn the right ship into a flying missile battery.

On the original topic, have a look also at my Probe Missile OXP. That does the kind of flight that you're after, a quick mod to the scripting/AI would make it just what you're trying to make by going kaboom (with an Earth-shattering kaboom) at an appropriate point rather than scanning and returning.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Thargoid wrote:
make it just what you're trying to make by going kaboom (with an Earth-shattering kaboom) at an appropriate point
Suggest not! We don't want another planet killing weapon out there! :roll: :twisted:
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

JazHaz wrote:
Suggest not! We don't want another planet killing weapon out there! :roll: :twisted:
Seriously!

"Hey! Would you mind not blowing up my homeworld? How rude! :grumble: Frakin' Vogons..."
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC