Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Personalities.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

JazHaz wrote:
If I was to be in it, I would want to use my energy bomb! :wink: :twisted:
Well, whether you're to be in it depends solely on you. :wink:

No energy bombs, however. :P
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Hrm, tried to dock with Lestarade's leviathan, and died... I presume it's not flagged as dockable?
Commander Monty, a Python Class Cruiser driver :D
Iron assed bulk haulers for the win!

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

allikat wrote:
Hrm, tried to dock with Lestarade's leviathan, and died... I presume it's not flagged as dockable?
The ship has to have the "carrier" role in its shipdata entry (amongst any others) so that the game treats it as a dockable entity, methinks.

Perhaps you want to have a look at the shipdata.plist, or Cmdr McLane could be so friendly to have a look at that, or I could be mistaken entirely ...

Hope that helps.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

allikat wrote:
No, it's not. My rationale is that player ships cannot be dockable (I think). So Lestradae in his Oolite would not be able to experience you docking at his ship. And because Personalities.oxp tries to stay as faithful as possible to the submitted player characters and ships, you can't dock with him in your Oolite as well.

Admittedly, this is only my personal view. But as I'm the author of the OXP I am in the lucky position to make it the default as well. 8)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
And because Personalities.oxp tries to stay as faithful as possible to the submitted player characters and ships, you can't dock with him in your Oolite as well.
In that case I would make the flashers in the docking bay flashing in red, to warn innocent players. I also crashed there trying to dock :(
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Eric Walch wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
And because Personalities.oxp tries to stay as faithful as possible to the submitted player characters and ships, you can't dock with him in your Oolite as well.
In that case I would make the flashers in the docking bay flashing in red, to warn innocent players. I also crashed there trying to dock :(
Wouldn't it be easier just to issue a comms messge indicating that you are not authorised to dock and that attempts to do so will result in much death and destruction...?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Loxley »

Speaking as yet another dent in Lestradae's rear bumper something of the kind would be useful.

I kill myself frequently enough without requiring any extra assistance. :cry:
"There is still much music to be written in C major" Stravinsky
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Eric Walch wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Good idea.

Oh, and I'm sympathizing with all you commanders who tried it out. :)
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Loxley »

This is a great oxp Commander McLane, and many thanks for creating it, but I did notice something a little odd.

When there's a cloaked ship in the area it still seems to be possible to engage the Torus drive; which rather goes against the official technobabble. To be honest I suspect this a hardcoding issue rather than the Oxp itself, Oolite sees a clean scanner so the jump drive is OKed, but I thought I'd mention it on the off chance.

If nothing else it opens up some new possibilities for dogfighting tactics, especially if your fuel tanks are empty. :idea:
"There is still much music to be written in C major" Stravinsky
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Interesting observation. Perhaps nobody stumbled across it yet, because usually cloaked ships are so rare. Although I seem to remember wondering about it as well at a time.

Yes, this is a bug (feature :?: ) in Oolite rather than in the OXP. I think you're right, if it is the presence of a mass that is locking your jumpdrive, it shouldn't matter whether this mass is visible on your scanner or not. Instead Oolite pretends that "if it isn't shown on the scanner, it doesn't exist", which is, I think, wrong.

And I think the glitch exists for both the cloaking device and the MASC'M (don't ask). Could one of the developers look into the issue?
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

Hm, I run into someone from these boards in almost every system now :D

By the way, is it...Kaks I think or who flying Cobby3 original style and occasionally pirating? What's the ship config, full iron ass? I haven't been able to bring the shields down with my beam and mining lasers :D
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

I had an even more interesting encounter with him... I was hunting an outlaw with randomhits, Kaks turned up, and I popped his ship (not easy, even with military lasers and hard-heads.. you're a good pilot Kaks..), and he ejected and I scooped his pod. Now this random hits guy got in trouble, and jumped out of system. Being the bounty hunter I am, I was right on his tail as he jumped - several times.. and when I was done killing him.. Ohh darn, couldn't scoop his pod.. cargo hold full.. *crunch*.. I headed back for the station to cash in the bounty on our dear Kaks... and who should I meet? Kaks, in a nice fresh coby... This clone ran, and I didn't have enough witch drive fuel to chase this one down as well..

I know it's a pretty rare situation, but I did have him in my hold at the time...
Commander Monty, a Python Class Cruiser driver :D
Iron assed bulk haulers for the win!

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

The Personalities ships are generally much tougher than your usual NPC. This is because I gave them the same energy regeneration rate as they have in their player ships (which basically means: the same or a similar rate to yours).

It simply seems that, as far as energy regeneration is concerned, Oolite is quite biased towards the player. He recharges much faster than most of the NPCs. Therefore the Personalities ships recharge fast as well.
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

Hm, I might ask for adding me :D but I have to make the custom texture first...

And...would someone be able to change the combat tactics of my ship to reflect my a bit crazy fighting style?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Sarin wrote:
Hm, I might ask for adding me :D but I have to make the custom texture first...

And...would someone be able to change the combat tactics of my ship to reflect my a bit crazy fighting style?
Please, be my guest. Just go over the questionnaire in the very first post of this thread and PM me.

A custom texture isn't a necessary requirement. For the time being you could go with the default texture for your ship.

As far as your combat tactics are concerned, the possibilities to influence the AI are limited. However, modifications like outlined in this post (first on page 6 of this thread) are possible in this OXP. If you request specific other behaviours I will try to accomodate the request. Chances are best if you can describe it in one short sentence, and if it can be tied to one of the JS-events.

Just give it a go! :D