About Suggestions... Canon...

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

another_commander wrote:
For a good bed-time reading, I have put the entire SVN log from revision 2579 (which is the 1.73.4 release) to today here. This is everything that has been done till now, including all the boring, or incomprehensible, or not-suitable-for-minors (kind of) stuff, in pure unedited form. You can also see who you can blame if something doesn't work as advertised ;-)
Thanks very much for that link! I will read it, including the boring and incomprehensible parts. I will blank the screen whenever my cat is around... he is only 12 years old, you know..

I don't cast blame. At my age and condition it takes real work and fortitude to cast a shadow.
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
GUNSMIF
Above Average
Above Average

Post by GUNSMIF »

ADCK wrote:
The "That isn't canon" line always sounds like an excuse to me, if it wasn't any diff from the original game, why would we play it instead of the original game?

And most of the time we're not asking for this or that to be put in the game, just support for it so we can add it ourselves with oxp's

Furthermore, this game isn't made for the developers solely, it's for the community to enjoy too.
Well said!!!!

Ive only just discovered the Ooniverse, and yes I am a Noob, but... I am a massive elite series fan but from other formats. If every one in this community had your attitude then it wouldn't be the success it is today.

Im a Oolite player not just because of the excellent game its self but also because of the outstanding support and help the good folk in this community provide to the new player.

So a big thank you to all admin, modders and coders for your patience with our noobified dumb questions! its down to you lot why there are so many people enjoying this game.

plus if you dont ask you dont learn!!!!
NOTICE to all SPACE GAMERS!!!
Check out http://www.spacesimcentral.com/portal.p

For all your space gaming needs just put a shout out for DarkOne!!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Cmdr James wrote:
I would guess the most hated question is not when will it be done, but rather can we have "real physics" or can we have an oolite MMORPG.

;)
My vote for most hated request is "can I haz a laser cooler?" That one sure pops up enough.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Cmdr James wrote:
I would guess the most hated question is not when will it be done, but rather can we have "real physics" or can we have an oolite MMORPG.

;)
My vote for most hated request is "can I haz a laser cooler?" That one sure pops up enough.
If you install a better fan in your pc, your lasers won't heat up as fast. It's that simple. :D
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Chrisfs wrote:
Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Cmdr James wrote:

;)
If you install a better fan in your pc, your lasers won't heat up as fast. It's that simple. :D
Alright, wiseguy! :lol: :lol: :lol: Save that one for the Jamesons who ask for a laser cooler. Then tell 'em to learn to burst-fire. :)
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
bigmike20vt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by bigmike20vt »

re the laser cooler.

when i 1st started playing i felt that the lasers did heat up too quickly and take for ever to cool down.

however, a little practice and installing a 2nd one on my ass end, i have to say i think its balanced perfectly.

it means you actually have a sense of achievement when you take down an enemy ship without cooking your weapon.
Fiat Coupe, helping motorists break the speed limit since 1993.
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Of course, there is one answer to the laser cooler issue...
Increase the heat from the lasers markedly, and then introduce a laser cooler to bring it back to today's levels, and make every ai ship buy one :twisted:

Of course, the root of that problem is the simple fact that in the old 8 bit versions, all you every shot up was kraits, sidewinders, adders and the odd viper and python/anaconda. Almost all of whom did not have shield boosters or anything else worthy of note. Now we are faced with thargoid battleships, rogue frigates and blank monk gunships... Oh, and don't forget the fact that realistic views from the ship mean that all bad guys at extreme range no-longer appear as a nice handy white pixel you can shoot up with ease long before they arm any kind of weapon. :twisted:

At a rough guestimate, I'd say that the Oolite military lasers do heat up faster than the original BBC ones, but the difference is small, under a quarter of a second from cold to overheated.

Of course, my own biggest shock was in sun-diving, the BBC/Electron version (which is the only one I ever really played), had cabin heat based on distance from the sun, whereas Oolite has you keep warming up if you're close.

This thread, is hereby, officially headed off topic in a suicide sun-dive :twisted:
Commander Monty, a Python Class Cruiser driver :D
Iron assed bulk haulers for the win!

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Methinks I even have to disagree with the assumption that the laser heats faster.

IIRC in C64 Elite it was just not possible to kill a Thargoid Warship with a single military laser salvo. In Oolite, however, it can be done. That would allow for the conclusion that the laser was overheated faster in Elite.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Commander McLane wrote:
Methinks I even have to disagree with the assumption that the laser heats faster.

IIRC in C64 Elite it was just not possible to kill a Thargoid Warship with a single military laser salvo. In Oolite, however, it can be done. That would allow for the conclusion that the laser was overheated faster in Elite.
Or the stats for the Thargoid Warship are different?

(irrespective of this the end result is the same)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Different versions of elite had different stats, missions and so on.
In the BBC version, you certainly could kill one thardoid invasion ship with a military laser burst. The problem came when the others it was always hanging around with, decided you were number one target.
I personally remember a little program one of the Beeb mags published, which made you a commander, called slog. Gave you beams on every location except the front, and put you in a galaxy with lots of thargoids. Now that was a pain in the neck.
And yes, even with a beam laser you had a chance against the thargoids.
Commander Monty, a Python Class Cruiser driver :D
Iron assed bulk haulers for the win!

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

On the Electron, i took out a Tharg w/ a pulse laser. it took fkn forever tho :-D
treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by treczoks »

allikat wrote:
And yes, even with a beam laser you had a chance against the thargoids.
Yes, it is indeed possible. And an experience I'm not keen on repeating.
[It/we/I] [awoke]. [Identity]:[Undetermined], [Location]:[Undetermined], [Objective]:[Destroy]. [Priorize([Determination]:[Identity])]:[High]. [Execute].