Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Cheats

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

It is perfectly sensible to think that there are non jump capable ships in every system, they are transported there by something else.

Just like present day vehicals are normally not driven from factories to showrooms all over the world. They are loaded onto transports and ships.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Also, any non jump-capable ship can follow a mother through its wormhole. It is therefore very simple to explain the presence of any ship in any system.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Ya, i kinda realised that as i was halfway through ranting, and didn't bother to stop :P

Sorry.
kcallis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Ok, help with a minor cheat

Post by kcallis »

I have been using OOlite for me 5 year old son as a slight pacifier. And he seems to enjoy it more than the Xbox. He does get frustrated because of issues with him docking with stations at times.

Is there way to either A.) provide consistant rotation speed, or B.) Set every dock-able item so that if things are moving too fast for him, he can engage the auto pilot. He is trying to get into the Black Monk's Monastery, but it rotates too fast, and I am trying to keep him motivated.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Ok, help with a minor cheat

Post by DaddyHoggy »

kcallis wrote:
I have been using OOlite for me 5 year old son as a slight pacifier. And he seems to enjoy it more than the Xbox. He does get frustrated because of issues with him docking with stations at times.

Is there way to either A.) provide consistant rotation speed, or B.) Set every dock-able item so that if things are moving too fast for him, he can engage the auto pilot. He is trying to get into the Black Monk's Monastery, but it rotates too fast, and I am trying to keep him motivated.
I pretty sure once you've got a docking computer you can target any dockable object and quick/auto dock - this definitely works on the main stations...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Ok, help with a minor cheat

Post by JazHaz »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I pretty sure once you've got a docking computer you can target any dockable object and quick/auto dock - this definitely works on the main stations...
You can't instant dock at stations other than the main stations. All other docks can only be done via the slow dock.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
kcallis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by kcallis »

Yes, slowing the dock would work just fine. I was wondering if I could just make every dockable opening adhere to automatic docking, but if I can slow it down for him, I am sure it will work for him as well.
So does that require that I need to edit every station and add something to the file, or is there way to add the parameter one time and it will work for all dock areas? And what am I looking for to slow the dock rotation?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

kcallis wrote:
Yes, slowing the dock would work just fine. I was wondering if I could just make every dockable opening adhere to automatic docking,
Every dockable opening does adhere to automatic docking by default. Simply target the object and press SHIFT-C. This will start the automatic docking sequence, accompanied by the Blue Danube. Just lean back and wait until your computer has docked you. This requires that you have purchased the Docking Computer, of course.
kcallis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by kcallis »

Commander McLane wrote:
kcallis wrote:
Yes, slowing the dock would work just fine. I was wondering if I could just make every dockable opening adhere to automatic docking,
Every dockable opening does adhere to automatic docking by default. Simply target the object and press SHIFT-C. This will start the automatic docking sequence, accompanied by the Blue Danube. Just lean back and wait until your computer has docked you. This requires that you have purchased the Docking Computer, of course.
That is understood, but I am talking about places like the Black Monks or a few other places. My son complains because the Black Monks moves too fast for him to dock with.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

kcallis wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
kcallis wrote:
That is understood, but I am talking about places like the Black Monks or a few other places. My son complains because the Black Monks moves too fast for him to dock with.
Sorry, but if it is understood, I don't understand your repeated question. It is impossible to change anything about the rotation, but you don't need to do it.

Simply target the Black Monks Station (press R in order to activate your target scanner, then move your crosshairs over any part of the station, probably confirm by pressing T) and press SHIFT-C. Now the docking computer takes over and moves you into the station automatically.

This works with each and every dockable object in the whole game. This includes of course the Black Monk Monastery.
kcallis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by kcallis »

Commander McLane wrote:
kcallis wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Sorry, but if it is understood, I don't understand your repeated question. It is impossible to change anything about the rotation, but you don't need to do it.

Simply target the Black Monks Station (press R in order to activate your target scanner, then move your crosshairs over any part of the station, probably confirm by pressing T) and press SHIFT-C. Now the docking computer takes over and moves you into the station automatically.

This works with each and every dockable object in the whole game. This includes of course the Black Monk Monastery.
I did forget about the Shift-C... So why is it that Shift-D doesn't do a rapid docking, as opposed to having to do the Blue Danube Waltz at the cost of several minutes..
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

kcallis wrote:
I did forget about the Shift-C... So why is it that Shift-D doesn't do a rapid docking, as opposed to having to do the Blue Danube Waltz at the cost of several minutes..
SHIFT-D only works for main stations. SHIFT-C works for everything.
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

That only works at main stations, where you may be in a hurry to save your game and head out someplace. Just tell him it's a chance to sit back, and look at the pretty pictures while the music plays, and also a chance to run off to the bathroom or get a new cup of drink or cookie, or.. whatever. It's what I do :P
I frequently stage races between the docking computer and my kettle. Normally the kettle wins, and I have sat down with a fresh coffee just as it's about to dock :D
Commander Monty, a Python Class Cruiser driver :D
Iron assed bulk haulers for the win!

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

kcallis wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
kcallis wrote:

Magic dock only works with Main Stations - this kind of makes sense if you think about it from a gaming point of view - somebody creates a mission where you have to battle through hordes of enemy to dock with <insert_dockable_ship_or_station> to deliver a new weapon/secret weapon etc - and in fact if Shift-D worked - you'd just target it on your way past and then magic your way in - so yes, sit back and enjoy one of Strauss' classics, for anything other than a main station.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

allikat wrote:
I frequently stage races between the docking computer and my kettle. Normally the kettle wins, and I have sat down with a fresh coffee just as it's about to dock :D
... or to explode in the docking bay, due to the notorious unreliability of the docking computer. :oops:

@ kcallis: For this reason you should encourage your son to continue with his manual docking training. Any Eliteer should master that. Yes, in the beginning it may be frustrating to match the rotation speed, but it's really only a question of training. Tipping the right roll again and again to just match the rotation speed. There is no other way. :)