Another new guy!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

GUNSMIF
Above Average
Above Average

Another new guy!

Post by GUNSMIF »

Moderator: Take it easy on the caps lock, I get headaches easily.

Hey guys!! :D.

i have just become a massive fan of Oolite, but im very green when it comes to downloading and using modding files n stuff :oops: well i can manage to down load but i stuck after that!! any of you salty space veterans up for helping a very keen new fan?? any advice would be massively appreciated.

Im wanting to get the v1.73.4 patchymibob running as i saw the screen shots on Space Sim Central`s Oolite section and was blown away by how good it looked!!! thanks people!!! :D :D

just found the FAQ`S and looking though to try answer my questions :)
Last edited by GUNSMIF on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Welcome Gunsmif (to the friendliest board this side of Riedquat) - what system/OS are you running on - that's always a good place to start providing accurate and tailored help.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Hi Gunsmif! ...and welcome to the friendliest board this side of Riedquat!

Yep, there's plenty of people hooked on Oolite around here who will be more than willing to answer questions.

First off it really helps if you identify what OS you're using, as there are one or two differences when it comes to the filing systems, and useful bits you can use, nothing really major but good to know.

When you want to update, assuming you're starting from a 1.73 version of Oolite, you downloads the appropriate file for your OS, expand it and pop it in your Oolite folder. If you then pick up and drop the main Oolite application onto the pretty update icon, it should do its thing automatically, Oolite will open and report the new version, possibly giving you a nice little pop-up report telling you all is well, and what it changed.

You should then close Oolite; you can pickup the update icon and trash it, leaving your main Oolite startup. You can then restart Oolite, and it will be the new version.

It's a lot easier to do than describe!!! :lol:

If you want to add any of the oxps you hear mentioned in the forum, you just download them, unpack them and pop the oxp itself (the one with the pretty icon) into the 'add-ons' folder.
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
GUNSMIF
Above Average
Above Average

which OS??

Post by GUNSMIF »

Thank you guys for the help!! im currently using windows XP on an average P.C. that runs the likes of freespace 2, vegastrike and FFED3D perfectly.what im gonna do is uninstall oolite and start from scratch using your much valued advice :D

ill come back soon as i run into a problem, which wont be long :roll:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Easy steps to get Oolite to look like the screenshots:
1. Install version 1.73.4.
2. Download Griff's ships (the all-in-one OXP can be downloaded from here). Unzip the contents of the zip file to any folder, maintaining the directory structure.
3. You will then need to copy the folder griff_normalmapped_ships.oxp, from where you unzipped to <OoliteInstallDir>/AddOns, as is, maintaining the directory structure. When done, your AddOns folder should contain a folder named griff_normalmapped_ships.oxp, under which should be other folders, like Config, Shaders, Models, Textures etc.
4. Start Oolite. You should be seeing the shaderified ships in the game (the demo screen ships might still show the default ships, but in-game they should be the new and improved versions).

If your system can handle it, you may also want to experiment a bit with the amount of stars and nebulae displayed. I like space with stars aplenty and a bit more nebulae than what is set in the default game. To play with this, open the file planetinfo.plist, found inside <OoliteInstallDir>/oolite.app/Resources/Config and find where it mentions star_count_multiplier and nebula_count_multiplier. These numbers define how many times more stars and nebulae will be shown in each system compared to what is provided as standard in the default game. Play with these until you strike a balance between pretiness and good performance. NOTE: You will need to restart Oolite with Shift pressed each time you change the contents of a resource file, as the game must flush its cache first in order to "see" your changes.

Note that Star Gazer's advice is valid, but only applicable to Macs. For Windows, you have the standard installer and that's all you need. I understand that 1.73.4 is your first contact with Oolite and you are not upgrading from any previous version.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hi Gunsmif.
A thought... you may have to update your GPU drivers, especially if you use ATI.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
GUNSMIF
Above Average
Above Average

Post by GUNSMIF »

yeah its my 1st venture into oolite, long time elite I & II player tho but on the AMIGA!! cant believe it looks better than eliteII or even FFED3D and its so smooth!!! pat on back to all you guys!! can see vast amounts of my time going into this beauty oh yes! 8) 8) :lol:
GUNSMIF
Above Average
Above Average

Post by GUNSMIF »

to EL Viejo thanks matey but pretty new to the P.C Gaming scene and have no idea of what you said means, :oops: :oops: :oops: sure ill pick it all up n suss it out quickly though :D
GUNSMIF
Above Average
Above Average

Post by GUNSMIF »

OHHHHHHHHHH!!! SWEET GOT THE GRIFF SHIPS ON THANKS GUYS!!! WANT A NEW COCKPIT DISPLAY NEXT SO ILL REPEAT YOUR STEPS AND ADD THE...........

Hmmm.....ILL TRY THE STAR TREK COCKPIT here goes :shock:
GUNSMIF
Above Average
Above Average

Post by GUNSMIF »

Ok cant sell my cobra mkIII and buy a adder now?? only ship on market is a big juicy rendered python!

I CANT AFFORD THAT!!! is there an OXP that starts you off with more money :lol: or do i have to do it the old fasioned way and earn it???
GUNSMIF
Above Average
Above Average

Post by GUNSMIF »

WOAH!!! look at the station now!!! fantastic!! shading and rendering....drooollllllll..... :P :P :P

hang about, just seen a ship docking and it had no polygons or owt?? just a white blob??

and wheres my new cockpit display?? :x

YAY!! got my trek HUD up and running! told you id pick all this up quick! :)
Last edited by GUNSMIF on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

GUNSMIF wrote:
WOAH!!! look at the station now!!! fantastic!! shading and rendering....drooollllllll..... :P :P :P

hang about, just seen a ship docking and it had no polygons or owt?? just a white blob??

and wheres my new cockpit display?? :x

YAY!! got my trek hood told you id pick all this up quick! :)
With reference to the white blob of a ship see the recent sticky thread about upgrading graphics drivers.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
GUNSMIF
Above Average
Above Average

Post by GUNSMIF »

ok will do thanx daddyhoggy!!
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Always good to see a man enjoying himself so much! :wink:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
GUNSMIF
Above Average
Above Average

Post by GUNSMIF »

cant find this sticky thread???? durrrrr!! :oops:

problem solved, thank you its now 3am and just had an angry better half shouting down the stairs at me for not goin to bed :shock: :lol: she better get used to it now i have oolite!!!!! well some times :wink: :wink:
Last edited by GUNSMIF on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.