PS3 controller

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Agis Silverfish
Dangerous
Dangerous

PS3 controller

Post by Agis Silverfish »

Hi.

Has anybody tried to use the PS3 controller with Oolite? Did it work? :mrgreen:

e.g.
http://www.davieslim.com/ps3/using-ps3- ... n-windows/
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: PS3 controller

Post by Diziet Sma »

If you get it working with Windows, but can't get it configured from within Oolite (not saying it won't, just if it won't) you could get it working with Oolite use Xpadder. In fact, Xpadder will let you do tricks with it that Oolite won't.

See my mention of it here.

Bigger write-up coming soon.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Diziet Sma wrote:
... Awaits patiently ...
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Xpadder is the best software to use for this, though I have never been able to get my PS3 controller to work on my PC sadly. However I have a wired Xbox 360 controller I sometimes use on the PC. Never thought of trying to get it work for Oolite though, problem with many PC games is there are too many controls and Xpadder will only allow you to configure one button to one command. This is why I can never get the controls for GTA San Andreas on PC to completely match the controls of GTA San Andreas on the PS2 (which is a shame because you can only play San Andreas online with 300+ people on PC!)
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Fatleaf wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
... Awaits patiently ...
Haven't had any time lately to get this done.. will see what I can do this weekend.. thanks for being patient. 8)
Pleb wrote:
Xpadder will only allow you to configure one button to one command.
Sorry, but this isn't the case... Xpadder can have up to eight different button profiles defined, which can be selected between, in-game, at will.. I have my joystick set up with 3 completely different sets of button functions. One for normal flight, another for combat, and a third for navigation. (remembering them all can be fun, though!)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Sorry, but this isn't the case... Xpadder can have up to eight different button profiles defined, which can be selected between, in-game, at will.. I have my joystick set up with 3 completely different sets of button functions. One for normal flight, another for combat, and a third for navigation. (remembering them all can be fun, though!)
Really? I must look into this, I was under the impression that you couldn't do that! If I can actually get my San Andreas controls right will definitely be worth it!
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

The latest version lets you create up to 8 "sets" of key-defs for each game you have, but the help-file is no longer enclosed. You need to go to the site & forum to learn how to drive it properly.

(Oh, and the config file for each game-profile is a plain text file as well, so it's easily edited like most Oolite files, if you prefer to work that way)

Almost forgot.. at the moment, the version that downloads when you buy it (which does include the help-file) is at least two updates behind the latest release. That is only available via the Xpadder forum, and only to forum members. The only way to register with the forum is to buy the software.
Blood-Red-Skies
Poor
Poor
Location: Out in the black, culling the pirate hoard. If you're naughty I'll terminate your license.

Post by Blood-Red-Skies »

If you have a PS3 controller and USB you can connect it to your pc using the DS3 connect tool, The D/L is available at http://www.motioninjoy.com/download. All the necessaries are on this site. I've not tried it as yet, but may do just to see if it's viable.

8)

Update:
I tried the gampad tool with a hardwired gameware PS3 gamepad and with a little reconfiguring it works fine. All sticks and buttons can be configured in any way using the driver software and calibration tool. It's down to your own tastes as to what buttons do what, but I'm sure there are enough to cover any choices one might make.

I tried the wireless controller with a usb cable but there was some 'noise' over the connection enough to upset the calibration settings so advise using a fully hardwired gamepad instead.

I hope this helps.. :wink:
Commander Blood-Red-Skies
Cobbie MkIII
Bounty Hunter
Competent

If it moves... shoot it! If it doesn't move shoot it anyway because it may decide to move later!