Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

hello and help

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Have you tried searching your C: drive for files ending in oolite-save? The older versions used to be installed by default inside C:\Program Files\Oolite, while the new ones are installed in C:\Oolite. My guess is that you will probably find your saves inside C:\Program Files\Oolite\oolite.app\oolite-saves.

In any case, all of the Oolite installer versions I can think of do not overwrite existing saved files, so I am reasonably confident that your savefile is still somewhere in your hard disk. Best thing would be to locate it manually and then copy it over to the new oolite-saves folder.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

another_commander wrote:
My guess is that you will probably find your saves inside C:\Program Files\Oolite\oolite.app\oolite-saves.
Since we're talking vista here, there's the always 'entertaining' vista (and win7) program files hide & seek problem, as explained on this page:

http://www.clipboardextender.com/off-to ... e-and-seek

The condensed version, adapted to Oolite:

# If you save anything in the Program Files directory in vista/win7, you’re asking for trouble. Be sure to check the VirtualStore cache.
# The Virtual Store for older Oolite versions should be in: C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Oolite
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
tonycro
Above Average
Above Average

Post by tonycro »

another_commander wrote:
Have you tried searching your C: drive for files ending in oolite-save? The older versions used to be installed by default inside C:\Program Files\Oolite, while the new ones are installed in C:\Oolite. My guess is that you will probably find your saves inside C:\Program Files\Oolite\oolite.app\oolite-saves.

In any case, all of the Oolite installer versions I can think of do not overwrite existing saved files, so I am reasonably confident that your savefile is still somewhere in your hard disk. Best thing would be to locate it manually and then copy it over to the new oolite-saves folder.
spot on :D

found the old installation in program flies (x86) - i had looked in the 'normal' prog files :oops:

anyway the old installation still finds my last save :D

onto find some pirates - thanks for all the help chaps :D

tony
Learn from the mistakes of others, life is too short to make them all your self !