Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Sol Exodus

Post by Killer Wolf »

new space combat sim
http://solexodus.com/
nice vid in the media section, here's another : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1_4yrsN ... r_embedded

some pretty nice designs and touches in there, like blasting/flying through a wreck.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Sol Exodus

Post by JensAyton »

Looks like someone’s been playing a lot of Freespace 2… which is not in any way a bad thing.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

I just don't see the appeal...when you have oolite this looks like a step back to me.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
I just don't see the appeal...when you have oolite this looks like a step back to me.
I wouldn't necessarily say a step back. But when I watched the clips and saw the ships (especially the bigger ones and the stations, because you don't get a clear impression of the small fighters at the speed of the action) I couldn't help but to think "those are about as good as Griff's". :)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Freespace is a vastly better space combat game than Oolite, while being nothing other than a combat game. If SOL: Exodus does indeed capture that feeling with more modern technology (and the developers suggest it’s intended to) then that’s a good thing as far as I’m concerned.

They aren’t trying to compete on the sandboxy trading front, but there’s room for more than one kind of space-based game.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Commander McLane wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily say a step back. But when I watched the clips and saw the ships (especially the bigger ones and the stations, because you don't get a clear impression of the small fighters at the speed of the action) I couldn't help but to think "those are about as good as Griff's". :)
I thought some of the comments on the Youtube were especially, and unnecessarily, cruel. Looks quick, fun, and engaging - can't ask too much more from a space shooter (note - I don't necessarily class Oolite as a space shooter - especially the way I play!) - I'd rather have a good game with moderate gfx than a crap one with good gfx. Obviously haven't played it, so don't know if it fulfils the former of course...

(I also think some of the big capitol ships produced in Oolite - (Prometheus? Frame?) are probably better than those seen in Sol Exodus)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I thought some of the comments on the Youtube were especially, and unnecessarily, cruel.
that's the way of the internet, bud, get away from a dedicated fanboy site and it's all apathy or trolling. it seems people prefer just to rubbish people's efforts for no given reason other than it might appear uncool if they actually flipped out over something and praised it. you can virtually guarantee 99%+ of those maggots couldn't do anything remotely as constructive or inventive.

regarding comments above, i don't think this is anyway related to the Elite stable, smacks more of Wing Commander to me, and frankly there's no "stepping back" in that : much as i love Oolite (i hardly actually get to play it, i know, that's not relevant here!) i have a huge place in my heart for Wing Commander and all its episodes, especially Prophecy/Secret Ops. sometimes there's nothing better than just jumping in a ship and playing a short, to-the-point kill 'em all mission. I keep meaning to pick up the re-released Privateer games, but, we're back to that not-enough-time-in-the-day stuff... :-(
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

It looks rather good, which makes me ANGRY!

Honestly, I feel sometimes like someone has my memory stick tapped and is ripping information off it. I have a "space sim" idea I've been playing with for a few years now (since about 2002) and the overall concept was named "SOL". The first "story" in the universe was called "Exodus". I say "WAS" for both of them because now I'll have to change it all. Again. :-(

It evolved from a game concept into a multimedia thing that involves graphic design and fiction and possibly a webcomic idea, primarily because writing a game is too difficult for me on my own.

GAAAAAAAAAAA!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Seems to have a release date now - Tomorrow (Jan 25th) on Steam!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/200410/
Hope it's not too massive a download as i quite fancy buying it
edit: hmm, the recommended spec seems to suggest 4gb of hard disk space
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Demo looks nice to me but not too special. Seems like a good shooter. In

I rather keep playing Galaxy on Fire 2 HD on Mac Lion and on iPhone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0eEOShm ... r_embedded

It's a game with much more than only shooting.

Of course Oolite remains my favorite nr 1 space game. The free form thanks to the user community is simply great.

Currently I have 3 favorite space games

Oolite
Galaxy on Fire 2
Freelancer with Discovery mod
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709