Missing missions?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Missing missions?

Post by ArkanoiD »

3 of original Elite missions are still unavailable:

1) Stolen Viper - must be done relly easy with OXP
2) Asteroid storm - requires some internal support i think
3) Thargoid Invasion

will they be..?
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

They could be - I settled initially on a representative slection of missions rather than being completist.

Before I add those though I'll need to research the details of them and currently I don't have time to do that.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Missing missions?

Post by Rimbaud »

3) Thargoid Invasion

will they be..?
I don't think I'm familiar with 1 or 2: what happens in them? The more of these missions the better!
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Missing missions?

Post by ArkanoiD »

Rimbaud wrote:

3) Thargoid Invasion

will they be..?
I don't think I'm familiar with 1 or 2: what happens in them? The more of these missions the better!
1) simple seek and destroy mission for a beginner
2) you launch from the station and see a number of asteroids falling. You have to destroy them otherwise they will hit the station and it will explode.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Working on an Asteroid Storm mission (get a V1 up before Xmas).

However, I never played it on the Arch.

Was thinking of:-

Your docked at a station, when a message comes in "Alert: Asteroid Storm approaching. All Commanders are required to launch and incercept incoming asteroids." You are the launched.

You find youself in the middle of a large field of asteroids, all of which are heading for the station. There are a few Vipers and Traders about shooting them down, but if you don't join in and help, sufficent asteroids will hit the station and blow it up. If you manage to save the station then you are given a small reward.

Is this how it was on the on the Arch?

Charlie has contributed his new asteroid models and it is very easy to script, but is there anything people would like to see in it particulraly.

I'm assuming that it was a "noob's" mission, so not planning to give out too much by way of a reward, perhaps some gold and a cash award.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

LittleBear wrote:
Working on an Asteroid Storm mission (get a V1 up before Xmas).

However, I never played it on the Arch.

Was thinking of:-

Your docked at a station, when a message comes in "Alert: Asteroid Storm approaching. All Commanders are required to launch and incercept incoming asteroids." You are the launched.

You find youself in the middle of a large field of asteroids, all of which are heading for the station. There are a few Vipers and Traders about shooting them down, but if you don't join in and help, sufficent asteroids will hit the station and blow it up. If you manage to save the station then you are given a small reward.

Is this how it was on the on the Arch?

Charlie has contributed his new asteroid models and it is very easy to script, but is there anything people would like to see in it particulraly.

I'm assuming that it was a "noob's" mission, so not planning to give out too much by way of a reward, perhaps some gold and a cash award.
Yep, i did never own Arch so i've seen this mission on PCs Elite Plus, so i was the only ship hitting the asteroids, but it should be much more interesting this way..
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

To get the player involved rather than simply jumping out, you could instigate a 'Fuel Leak' as they leave the station, like in the Nova mission and as part of the reward, they gain a free tank o' gas.

Captain Hesperus
"If it's one thing I love the most, it's free stuff."
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I've never played Arcelite, but cannot find any reference to an Asteroid mission, the only Arcelite ones I could find were:

Genesis Mission
Medicine Mission
Zartid III Mission
Zurid Pino Mission

details here:

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Arcelite_missions
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Wasn't one I ever played myself (BBC Micro / Acorn Electron) in 1984 :roll: and C64 a few years later and then a 20 year gap to Oolite. But pretty sure I've seen this mission being refered to as native on one of the Classic Elite versions. Anyway, its desgined as a "young Jameson" mission. Quite easy but a bit of fun. Your in Galaxy 1 and are Above Average. You've just dropped your cargo of Computers off at a low tech system. Godan Bennet!! An asteroid storm is approaching the Station, will you help out and save the station or witchspace out?
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Judebert
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Judebert »

I'd do the same bit as you contemplated for blowing up the shipyard in Assassins. If the player jumps out of system -- galactic or witchspace -- he's a fugitive for "failing to answer a system distress call" and "extreme cowardice during a system emergency". Then he's a fugitive. Then we remove the station (if possible) and his escape pod (if possible -- it got hit by a wayward meteor).
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Judebert wrote:
I'd do the same bit as you contemplated for blowing up the shipyard in Assassins. If the player jumps out of system -- galactic or witchspace -- he's a fugitive for "failing to answer a system distress call" and "extreme cowardice during a system emergency". Then he's a fugitive. Then we remove the station (if possible) and his escape pod (if possible -- it got hit by a wayward meteor).
What about fuel leak and forced misjump? Then the only way out is docking into the Behemoth if there is one (not likely to succeed when you are fugitive)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

ArkanoiD wrote:
What about fuel leak and forced misjump? Then the only way out is docking into the Behemoth if there is one (not likely to succeed when you are fugitive)
You could sunskim for fuel, you'd have to damage the scoops as well
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

TGHC wrote:
ArkanoiD wrote:
You could sunskim for fuel, you'd have to damage the scoops as well
There is no star to sunskim when you misjump.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

What would be the point of a misjump, LB has designed it to be for a young Jameson, it's supposed to be quite easy, and LB rules! :)
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

TGHC wrote:
What would be the point of a misjump, LB has designed it to be for a young Jameson, it's supposed to be quite easy, and LB rules! :)
It just means you are supposed to destroy the asteroids, not to jump out..