Enabling EVA's in Oolite

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Enabling EVA's in Oolite

Post by Cholmondely »

EVA = Extravehicular activity

Massively Locked and I are pondering Limbo's idea of a more realistic "non-oxygenated" Rock Hermit for Life in the Frontier v2.0.

To make this more credible, it would be nice to introduce the ability to perform an EVA, to get from one's spaceship to the oxygenated sections of the RH.

Other OXP's could also benefit - eg Murgh's Refugee Adders where one could personally take the food/water/medicine over to the refugees in the "Stretch Adder".
Cholmondely wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:06 am
3) How does one get food/medicine/water/machinery etc over to the refugee adder?
* they do it themselves - and send somebody over in a spacesuit to pick up the goodies.
* you do it yourself - use Astronaut and haul the goodies over to them...
* maybe there would be some sort of bot/drone which could do the job - there might be one which might be part of the CobraMk3 equipment which might be modifiable for the job

So! What changes would be needed to the Vanilla game core code to enable this to happen?

How can one change into one's spacesuit (Astronaut.oxp) inside one's Cobra Mk.III and leave it - and then later re-enter it?

Just parking this link here for future analysis: How long can one live in the vacuum of space? (ClymAngus, 2014)
Last edited by Cholmondely on Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Enabling EVA's in Oolite

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:07 pm
So! What changes would be needed to the Vanilla game core code to enable this to happen?

How can one change into one's spacesuit (Astronaut.oxp) inside one's Cobra Mk.III and leave it - and then later re-enter it?
In practice, player nearly always = ship, but that ship can of course be changed.
  • Change player ship to 'astronaut' (with very low size and speed, masslocked by own ship or torus otherwise disabled).
  • Spawn replica of player ship nearby (ideally at original player coordinates and nudge the astronaut to be adjacent).
  • Test range of player (astronaut) to vehicle/target.
  • When within range, grant option to dock/board/otherwise interact.
  • Mission screen the rest.
If you want to experience the process of boarding etc. in a more live-action sense then model changes would likely be required with minimal interiors and likely for minimal benefit.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:18 pm

In practice, player nearly always = ship, but that ship can of course be changed.
  • Change player ship to 'astronaut' (with very low size and speed, masslocked by own ship or torus otherwise disabled).
  • Spawn replica of player ship nearby (ideally at original player coordinates and nudge the astronaut to be adjacent).
  • Test range of player (astronaut) to vehicle/target.
  • When within range, grant option to dock/board/otherwise interact.
  • Mission screen the rest.
If you want to experience the process of boarding etc. in a more live-action sense then model changes would likely be required with minimal interiors and likely for minimal benefit.
Redspear - can this be done by an .oxp with the game code as it currently stands?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:53 pm
Redspear - can this be done by an .oxp with the game code as it currently stands?
I don't see why not.

Theres a few things to consider, especially around preserving ship state but I think they have mostly (if not entirely) been done before.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:59 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:53 pm
I don't see why not.

Theres a few things to consider, especially around preserving ship state but I think they have mostly (if not entirely) been done before.
Thank you!

Which OXP's should we be looking at?

I'd thought that it was impossible to "change ship" unless docked...
Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:55 pm
Which OXP's should we be looking at?

I'd thought that it was impossible to "change ship" unless docked...
Not sure about that but (as usual) it's not entirely true all of the time (e.g. escape pod).

So if necessary: dock the player at a station elsewhere, change the ship, then return the player to the spot where they chose to 'dock' (potentially quite some distance from the station).

Ship Storage Helper (or whatever it's called) would likely be a good place to poke around I'd imagine.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

To make this more credible, it would be nice to introduce the ability to perform an EVA, to get from one's spaceship to the oxygenated sections of the RH.
3d eva module handling like https://youtu.be/P3GBbyfSIHs?t=1662 would also be nifty...