Original Cobra at start w/ Griff's textures. Why?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Obsidian
Competent
Competent

Original Cobra at start w/ Griff's textures. Why?

Post by Obsidian »

Probably a question as boneheaded as my phrasing, but all the other ships in my Ooniverse are Griffed-up except for my starting Cobra, which in comparison, now looks like the reject from an alternate cartoon universe.

Just upped to 1.74 after a hiatus from Oolite, so I'm rebuilding my OXP collection from scratch. First time w/ the Griff textures.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: Original Cobra at start w/ Griff's textures. Why?

Post by maik »

Obsidian wrote:
Probably a question as boneheaded as my phrasing, but all the other ships in my Ooniverse are Griffed-up except for my starting Cobra, which in comparison, now looks like the reject from an alternate cartoon universe.
I had the same question a long time ago, you can find the solution here.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

You can customise your ship's paint job by tinkering with the colour values in the 'player ship' section of the Griff Cobra Mk III shipdata.plist:

Code: Select all

PaintColor1 = { type = vector; value = "0.0 0.0 0.0"; };
PaintColor2 = { type = vector; value = "0.0 0.0 0.0"; };
The colours are r, g, b.

You could also have the Griff multi-decal Cobra Mk III, and create your own custom decals... four of them.
This ship should be added to the Griff Industries page on the Wiki... summon a Wiki wizard.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Obsidian
Competent
Competent

Post by Obsidian »

I'm doing something wrong. No go on the solution provided by maik's link. I'm guessing it's not a wordpad problem or the game wouldn't load, so I'm not changing the right stuff in the save file. Though why the old, plain cobby should still show up perplexes.

Will try Griff's custom player cobby next. Just trying to get it addressed so I can get on with the Ensoreus-Ararus milkrun in peace.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Old question... are you holding 'shift' down until the spinning Cobra appears, when re-starting Oolite?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Obsidian wrote:
I'm doing something wrong. No go on the solution provided by maik's link. I'm guessing it's not a wordpad problem or the game wouldn't load, so I'm not changing the right stuff in the save file. Though why the old, plain cobby should still show up perplexes.

Will try Griff's custom player cobby next. Just trying to get it addressed so I can get on with the Ensoreus-Ararus milkrun in peace.
Quick guide on how to get Griff's Cobra to appear on the startup screen and generally replace all occurences of the default player Cobra:
1. Open the shipdata.plist found inside the Config folder of Griff's Cobra MkIII using a text editor of your choice.
2. Find the line "griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player" = and replace it with "cobra3-player" =
3. In the version of the OXP I have downloaded, I had to change the line reading forward_weapon_type = "WEAPON_NONE; to forward_weapon_type = "WEAPON_PULSE_LASER"; or there would be no pulse laser at the start of a new game.
4. Rename shipyard.plist and shipyard-overrides.plist to something else so that they disappear as far as the game is concerned.
5. Start Oolite with Shift held down. You should be seeing the Griff Cobra spinning.
Cody

Post by Cody »

That works great, a_c... but it gives one of those errors that aren't supposed to happen:

[shader.uniform.unpermittedMethod]: Did not bind uniform "alertlevel" to property -[ShipEntity alertCondition] - unpermitted method.
The only other time that it occurs now is if you use the Griff escape capsule.
(I should add that it doesn't affect gameplay at all).
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

El Viejo wrote:
That works great, a_c... but it gives one of those errors that aren't supposed to happen:

[shader.uniform.unpermittedMethod]: Did not bind uniform "alertlevel" to property -[ShipEntity alertCondition] - unpermitted method.
The only other time that it occurs now is if you use the Griff escape capsule.
(I should add that it doesn't affect gameplay at all).
The binding in shipdata.plist has to be changed. Simply search for alertlevel = "alertCondition"; and replace it with:

alertlevel = {type = "int"; value="alertCondition";};
I've notified Griff a while ago, so maybe it's already in the latest version. Griff?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thanks Svengali, that works a treat, but not for the escape capsule.

Just used the escape capsule, right outside the station... over five days of elapsed game time went on the clock.
Is it a random time 'spent' in the escape capsule? It seems to vary a lot.
Obsidian
Competent
Competent

Post by Obsidian »

A_C wrote:
Quick guide on how to get Griff's Cobra to appear on the startup screen and generally replace all occurences of the default player Cobra:
1. Open the shipdata.plist found inside the Config folder of Griff's Cobra MkIII using a text editor of your choice.
2. Find the line "griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player" = and replace it with "cobra3-player" =
3. In the version of the OXP I have downloaded, I had to change the line reading forward_weapon_type = "WEAPON_NONE; to forward_weapon_type = "WEAPON_PULSE_LASER"; or there would be no pulse laser at the start of a new game.
4. Rename shipyard.plist and shipyard-overrides.plist to something else so that they disappear as far as the game is concerned.
5. Start Oolite with Shift held down. You should be seeing the Griff Cobra spinning.
Okay, this didn't work at all. I think I must need the shipyard.plist and shipyard-overrides .plist, but what do I know? (Very little about this, obviously.) The changes now start me off inside the docking bay of a rock hermit, i think---no way for me to know because the controls won't work and I can't thrust away from my position.

I should have specified that I'm using the dizzy all-in-one just because, to ye skilled coders, that might be important information. I'm going to attempt to restore everything to the way it was and try again. I hope my save file survived. (I carelessly restored from a backup that I forgot to backup.)

Anyway, thankyou everyone for the help. If someone is patient enough to explain why that one specific ship remains in the classic style when all the others are replaced by the Griff ships, it would sate some curiosity.

Thanks again.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Obsidian wrote:
If someone is patient enough to explain why that one specific ship remains in the classic style when all the others are replaced by the Griff ships, it would sate some curiosity.
The code uses the ship named "cobra3-player" for the startup demo screen and this name is hard-coded. The Griff Cobra OXP uses override plists to stop the standard Cobra MkIII from appearing in the game, but the ship "cobra3-player" still exists in Oolite's "library" of ships. This is why you see it on the startup screen and this is why renaming the shipdata.plist entry as described should work. Since it doesn't work for you, I would recommend downloading the version from the Griff ships thread. This is the version the earlier instructions refer to.
Obsidian
Competent
Competent

Post by Obsidian »

Sorry, I could have been more clear in the subject line. It's not the spinning Cobra on the startup screen, but the old-school Cobra that comes out of the stations every time I launch. The intro screen shows the old models for all those other ships too, but they don't show up in the game like the cardboard cutout Cobra I'm piloting.

Since it doesn't work for you, I would recommend downloading the version from the Griff ships thread
I'm using the download link from the Griff thread or from the OXP list; I've been to both and I think they link to the same 81MB file at Box.net. I'm sure you've provided enough info for me to get this straight, so when I'm feeling up to the task, I'll fiddle around with the files until understanding finally dawns. Meaning I shall desist from pleading for guidance on this specific topic.

Thanks.
Cody

Post by Cody »

I don’t think a_c’s method will work with the all-in-one… I have the individual oxp’s, that’s why it works for me.

Re-install the all-in-one shipset as it comes, install the multi-decal Cobra Mk III separately, then edit your save file from:

<key>ship_desc</key>
<string>cobra3-player</string>
(or whatever your save file says)

to:

<key>ship_desc</key>
<string>griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_multidecal_player</string>
(Lines 674/675 in my save file).

Re-start Oolite holding the shift key down until the spinning Cobra appears.
That should leave you flying the multi-decal Cobra Mk III… you can sort out paint jobs and decals at your leisure.
Obsidian
Competent
Competent

Post by Obsidian »

Okay, got it working by manually typing in the new "ship_desc". Seems cutting and pasting with Wordpad is a bad idea. I'm guessing it messes with the formatting or something, because I'm almost certain the content of the changed "ship_desc" was the same as what now works. I discounted that possibility earlier because I figured a screwed-up save file would glitch the game; all I was getting was the same situation I had before I tried to mod anything. It just goes to show me that when I don't know anything I shouldn't assume anything.

A_C and El Viejo, thanks for the extra effort at my edification.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cool… for editing stuff, Wordpad should be okay, it’s Notepad that can cause problems.
It’s well worth downloading Notepad++… it makes things a lot easier.