Orbits

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Orbits

Post by ADCK »

Before i get started, I'd like to point out i'm aware of the existance of orbits.oxp... However... that addon doesn't seem to do anything at all other than make alot of errors in my log. And most importantly, it doesn't make the planets orbit the sun.

So...

Are there any expansions out there that add orbits to planets around suns (from vanilla oolite and System Redux) and orbits to moons/satelites around planets? (That actually work)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Sacrililege! You're saying that something that the god Giles made doesn't work? ;)

Seems to work on my system! Well, dunno about the orbits bit, but it does add extra planets to each system.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

JazHaz wrote:
Sacrililege! You're saying that something that the god Giles made doesn't work? ;)

Seems to work on my system! Well, dunno about the orbits bit, but it does add extra planets to each system.
I didn't say System Redux doesn't work (thats the one that ads planets) i said Orbits.oxp doesn't work (thats the one that ads orbits... supposedly)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

ADCK wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
I didn't say System Redux doesn't work (thats the one that ads planets) i said Orbits.oxp doesn't work (thats the one that ads orbits... supposedly)
I don't use System Redux, as it slows my laptop too much. So Orbits does add planets fine here!

I also use it to move the star further away (so I could get rid of FarSun), and that works a treat too.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: Orbits

Post by Svengali »

ADCK wrote:
However... that addon doesn't seem to do anything at all other than make alot of errors in my log. And most importantly, it doesn't make the planets orbit the sun.
Version (Trunk?), System-specs and Log could help here .-) Orbits was done a while ago, so it's not a big surprise that some things are not working anymore.
JazHaz wrote:
Sacrililege! You're saying that something that the god Giles made doesn't work?
I think Ebi has done Orbits and CaptnKev and Kaks have done SystemRedux... Unfortunately Ebi wasn't seen here for a while...
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Yep, as Svengali said, Orbit did use to work in a previous test version of Oolite (1.70 I think, but I'm probably mistaken). As long as you get in touch with the original oxp maker, it shouldn't be a problem, and hopefully quite a lot of the stuff should be easier to do now.

Good luck ADCK, and do let us know how it goes! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Ebi
Competent
Competent

Post by Ebi »

Hi,

I have already prepared Orbits for the trunk version. This license stuff irritates me and therefore I haven't published Orbits yet.

The current Oolite version gives warnings but it should still work.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Ebi wrote:
The current Oolite version gives warnings but it should still work.
It does work. As stated before, I don't use System Redux, and Orbits gives me multiple planets in a system, and moves the sun further away.

I'm using the current 1.73 test version.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Ebi
Competent
Competent

Post by Ebi »

"script.js" assigns orbits to planets found in the array "planets". There's a variable in the script which defines the maximum number of planets added by Orbits itself. IIRC I have called it "maxPlanets". If you use System Redux you may want to set it to zero.

ADCK, I suppose on your system System Redux is executed after Orbits and thus those planets have not been added to the array yet. I don't know how Oolite determines the execution order of scripts. Maybe it helps to move Orbits and System Redux up one directory and moving them back to "addons" in the correct order.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Ebi wrote:
"script.js" assigns orbits to planets found in the array "planets". There's a variable in the script which defines the maximum number of planets added by Orbits itself. IIRC I have called it "maxPlanets". If you use System Redux you may want to set it to zero.

ADCK, I suppose on your system System Redux is executed after Orbits and thus those planets have not been added to the array yet. I don't know how Oolite determines the execution order of scripts. Maybe it helps to move Orbits and System Redux up one directory and moving them back to "addons" in the correct order.
That's probably it, i'll have a look at the scripts later and see in they're conflicting.