Target Autolock OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Target Autolock OXP

Post by Thargoid »

As I was bored, just thought it'd tinker with a little bit of code that people may find useful.

It's an add-on software upgrade to the scanner targeting enhancement equipment, and is designed to automatically lock onto any vessel attacking your ship if you don't already have a target lock on something. Useful for those of the bounty hunting profession who have racked up some enemies, or for the poor Commander in the anarchy system who is prone to ambush.

It requires the scanner targeting enhancement to be fitted of course, and is available for a mere 200Cr from all good tech level 13+ planets.

- - = Download Target Autolock here = - -
Last edited by Thargoid on Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Always nice to see this kind of upgrades :)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Target Autolock OXP v1.00 - New Release

Post by ClymAngus »

That just made turrets a whole lot more useful :)
Thargoid wrote:
As I was bored, just thought it'd tinker with a little bit of code that people may find useful.

It's an add-on software upgrade to the scanner targeting enhancement equipment, and is designed to automatically lock onto any vessel attacking your ship if you don't already have a target lock on something. Useful for those of the bounty hunting profession who have racked up some enemies, or for the poor Commander in the anarchy system who is prone to ambush.

It requires the scanner targeting enhancement to be fitted of course, and is available for a mere 200Cr from all good tech level 13+ planets.

- - = Download Target Autolock v1.00 here = - -
pleb87
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by pleb87 »

Ah excelent, i will be downloading this at once :D 8)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I just realised I uploaded a slightly old version :oops:. It still works, but it will try to lock onto cloaked ships and will make a scrolling mess of text on the screen.

I've now uploaded the correct version which deals with that. So if the 3 of you who have grabbed it so far can download again please (same URL).
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Target Autolock OXP v1.00 - New Release

Post by Screet »

ClymAngus wrote:
That just made turrets a whole lot more useful :)
...and dangerous for the player! I once became fugitive because I had a target lock on the space bar and it became hostile for a brief amount of a second. The turrets returned fire and gone was my clean rating. I guess that would happen far easier with auto-lock!

Screet
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

Interesting thing happened after I killed all enemies in range:

Happened only once, though.
pleb87
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by pleb87 »

gorans wrote:

Is that a . or a ,? If thats a , then thats some powerful scanners you've got there. "Divert power from the warp engines to the deflector!"
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

pleb87 wrote:
gorans wrote:
Is that a . or a ,? If thats a , then thats some powerful scanners you've got there. "Divert power from the warp engines to the deflector!"
I've had such scanner readings with the trunk version, too and without that oxp installed. It seldom happens, just as the "locked on to: nil" thing right after launch ;)

Screet
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

A good one, Thargoid, again :D
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cool! I've been thinking of something similar to this myself, but don't yet have enough knowledge to try coding my own OXP. Many thanks, Thargoid!

What got me thinking was the description in Status Quo, how a number of times Rebecca locks the ident computer onto ships shown on the scanner, without any need to manoeuvre the Boa to pass the target through the laser sights.. as a few other posters have mentioned, Oolite is really crying out for something like this, and the Target Autolock is a step in the right direction. I'm looking forward to the Mk.II version already!
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

We had a discussion about an advanced targetting system which could just cycle through all objects within scanner range but I believe it was voted down due to fears it would make the game too easy.

Ideally if such a system were to exist, you should be able to lock it into different modes - combat (cycle through hostiles), Ships (cycle through ships), ID (cycle through everything), scavenge (cycle through scoopables), etc.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

About the target locks - did you ever hit the key right from "0" on your keyboard? If I do that, it appears to switch/cycle through previous target locks, if those ships are still around! I did not notice that on any keyboard description...

Screet
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

This has been almost forever in the game, and is mentioned in the wiki and the new Reference Sheet:
+ -:Cycle to next / previous target.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

another_commander wrote:
This has been almost forever in the game, and is mentioned in the wiki and the new Reference Sheet:
+ -:Cycle to next / previous target.
Isn't that for the Target Memory? And if so, you have to have previously locked onto a target to put it into the TM..
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.