Rock Hermit Locator add on

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Rock Hermit Locator add on

Post by Frame »

Edit #2
Eric Walch wrote:
I just uploaded a new version of the Rock Hermit Locator of Fame:

http://wiki.alioth.net/images/4/48/Rock ... tor1.2.zip

I included the original version 1.1 of Fame and a new version 1.2 that only works on oolite 1.70 upwards. Completely written in JS. With the JS version it is also possible to locate pirate coves. And it is easy expandable to other system objects when necessary.
Thanks to Eric Walch for this one :-D

original version can still be found here

http://home20.inet.tele.dk/dp1974/Rock_ ... .1.oxp.zip

EDIT: Version 1.1 now uploaded

I´m releasing the "Rock Hermit Locator" as a Seperate add on for oolite,

You will need to dock at a Tech Level 10 planet to Purchase this

It has a price tag of a mere 15.000 credits... exspensive yeah, but well worth it...

Edit.. Is uploaded to the Wiki.. Version 1.1

Use advanced Space Compas when you have installed this to locate Rock hermits... and dont be surprised if you find up to 4 rock hermits in the same system... with lots of surrounding astoroids...

It is Play tested with 1.65, 1.68, & 1.69.1

Have fun

Cheers Frame....
Last edited by Frame on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Rock Hermit Locator add on

Post by JensAyton »

Frame wrote:
I have no idea how to upload it to the wiki... so anybody feel free to do so.
For reference, you click “Upload a file” in the Toolbox on the left side of any page. (You then end up with an Image:Foo.zip page. To make it a downloadable link, without the wiki trying to present it as an image, use Media:Foo.zip, as in [[Media:Foo.zip|Download here]].)
antidoto
Average
Average

Post by antidoto »

It seems to give me this weird bug where it causes about 4 Pi-Cons or Tescoos to appear instead of just one.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

antidoto wrote:
It seems to give me this weird bug where it causes about 4 Pi-Cons or Tescoos to appear instead of just one.
Can anyone crack this ? o

I assume you mean Beacons with Pi-cons..., but Tescoos, i need you to write plain english or else i cant use your error report for much...

I´ll also need information on what Version of Oolite you are running...

Cheers Frame.,...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
antidoto
Average
Average

Post by antidoto »

Sorry if I was cryptic. I'm running 1.68, and I'm talking about the Pi-Con 42 and Tescoo Oxpress convenience stores that come in the Your Ad Here OXP. One is supposed to appear in each high tech-level system, but instead with yours installed I get multiples.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

ok Thanks i´ll take a look at those OXps and see what is happening.

Bug Confirmed, and fixed....

It was not a bug i could have taken into account... appearently script.plist and AI methods can get mixed up...

Since The new Rock Hermit AI was running at the same time as the script.plist that spawns the pi 42 and tesco stations it appearently all gets mixed up. at least that is my theory...

Solution, simply to add 5 seconds of wait in the new rock hermit AI before creating rock hermit beacons... these are created regardless of you having the rock hermit locator or not... but just will not be advanced space compas Beacon Targetble if you do not...

I will put a new download link ASAP in the first post, and here in a moment when i have uploaded it all... and cleared it with 1.65 and 1.69.1 and entered the nescassary info into the readme file...

Thanks for the report anti-doto...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Helvellyn »

Using it the other day I found a beacon on the far side of the planet (some distance out), but nothing else anywhere near it - no ships, hermit, asteroids, or anything.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Helvellyn wrote:
Using it the other day I found a beacon on the far side of the planet (some distance out), but nothing else anywhere near it - no ships, hermit, asteroids, or anything.
Could you tell me what version of oolite you are using + what OXPs you have installed other than the rock hermit locator..

Cheers Frame...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Helvellyn »

PC version 1.69.1, only other OXPs are oldships, custom sounds, and external views (I'm an Elite purist). I often find hermit or two (together) in a straight line on the far side of the planet, but I've only once seen a beacon and no hermit.

I don't think I had external views when this happened.
Fraoch
Competent
Competent

Post by Fraoch »

Odd, I don't think my Rock Hermit Locator is working. No unusual beacons or flashing lights, nothing new on the Advanced Space Compass either? I'm pointing right at a Rock Hermit.

1.65 on Ubuntu 7.04 64-bit. Version 1.1.

Any debugging steps?
Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Helvellyn »

The beacon should be nearby, not on the hermit.

I found my hermit beacon locator still appeared to work after it got damaged. This could be explained by the navigation computer remembering the coordinates it had got from it. I didn't show any beacons after a hyperspace jump, but that could simply have been because there weren't any.
Fraoch
Competent
Competent

Post by Fraoch »

I don't get a beacon nearby.

Should it be an item on the Advanced Space Compass? What letter is used for it? (i.e. Witchspace beacon = W, Navigation Beacon = N, etc.)
Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Helvellyn »

The compass symbol is a triangle with an "R".
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

I found my hermit beacon locator still appeared to work after it got damaged. This could be explained by the navigation computer remembering the coordinates it had got from it.
You are right, that is the way the locator works. On entering it determines al the beacon transmission codes and sends it to the main computer. This means that if the locator gets damaghed in battle the main computer still remembers the beacon position. You only need the locator on entering the system.