Planet Forests and Oceans

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Planet Forests and Oceans

Post by phkb »

Sometimes, random numbers are just too, well, random...

Looking at the new planetary textures, and comparing them to the textual description of the planet, can sometimes leave one thinking, "Really? That planet is known for its vast forests? But it's covered in water!" A fix for the planet Lave was even checked in recently to correct the look of the planet and make it more like the description.

Following a similar logic, I've gone through all the planets in the Eight, every one with "forests" or "oceans" in their description, and tweaked the look of the planet to better match the description. The results are in two separate OXP's: PlanetForests.zip and PlanetOceans.zip.

You'll need to download and unzip the folder inside each of these packs into the "AddOns" folder of your Oolite installation.

I've left these as OXP's for the moment, rather than as OXZ's, to encourage feedback on my choices. If you feel I've been too boring or haphazard in my changes, share your version and I'll update the OXP with the best ones. Most of my changes have usually been in adjusting the amount of land on the planet, using the "percent_land" property, but I've also sometimes changed the land color if I felt the current land color was not foresty enough.

If you look at the planetinfo.plist files, you'll notice I've included a lot of planets with no changes. I've left in the systems I made no changes to purely for reference, and in case I want to revisit one of those systems some time in the future. I've also included in the comments the type of forest/ocean the planet has (eg vast, pink, etc), again for easy reference.

Let me know what you think!

Edit to add: BTW, if you're using Povray planets, these OXP's will do nothing for you! It will only make a difference if you're using the default textures.
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Planet Forests and Oceans

Post by stranger »

Really nice idea, phkb!

I'm using another approach with texture smart selection by script. Planet textures in png format seems obsolete now and I doubt is it reasonable to present this project. Didn't analyzing your OXPs yet. Are you using any other marker words besides "forest" and "ocean"? If you have lobsters as residents for example, you need planet with water bodies, yep? And if you have frogs, planet covered with tropical forests will be more suitable than arctic world. And I think desert world will be more suitable for reptiles etc.
phkb

Post by phkb »

I just looked at “forests” and “oceans” for these ones. I might have a look at those other criteria at some point though. Unless someone beats me to it!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Are these still relevant? Or were they included in the vanilla game?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
commander_STyx2909
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by commander_STyx2909 »

OXP from Stanger to my knowledge.
Asus K61ic, 4Gb RAM, Nvidia GT220M (1Gb VRAM), OpenGL renderer version: 3.3.0 ("3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.108").
Ubuntu 20.06. :mrgreen:
phkb

Post by phkb »

They’re still relevant if you’re using the built-in planetary textures. If you’re using PovRay planets, or Bplanets (in those systems it touches) then it won’t do anything. It’s not incompatible with those OXP’s, just that the changes it makes won’t have any effect.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I'd missed this! Installed, and thanks!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Good! Adding them to the new http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Guide_to_Unlisted_OXPs (Guide to Unlisted OXPs) page on our wiki.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Post by phkb »

I should probably add them to the manager...

*looks at list of unpublished updates*
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

An example of what these oxp's do:

Isinor: This world is very fabled for its unusual oceans.

Isinor (Vanilla game)

Isinor (with Planet Oceans - or Phkb'd as some would call it)
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Would it not make more sense to combine these? I can't see anybody wanting the one without the other...

Beneath: Tibionis (Vanilla and then Planet Forests)

Tibionis is most noted for the Tibionisian deadly goat and its vast rain forests.

Comments wanted:
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:25 am
Would it not make more sense to combine these?
Probably. I'll add it to the list.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:45 am
Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:25 am
Would it not make more sense to combine these?
Probably. I'll add it to the list.
Unless of course you just add it to Oolite v.1.92 ... I can't think of a single reason not to...
Comments wanted:
phkb

Post by phkb »

I've now combined both of these into "Planet Forests and Oceans", and removed the two previous OXP's from the manager. Now you can get it in one mod pack. You don't have to, of course. If you have the other two, this one is a straight combo, so you can ignore it if you want. Or you can install all three! Nothing bad will happen. You won't create a multi-verse or anything like that. But in the unlikely event that someone suggests a tweak to one of the planets covered in this mod, this is the mod I'll be updating, not the other two. In case anyone was interested.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Small update - based on the changes I made to the Lave OXP to have more clouds (because of the "vast rain forests"), I applied the same logic to every other planet that has rain forests.