[WIP] Distant Stars v0.0.7

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

[WIP] Distant Stars v0.0.7

Post by Rustem »

The color of the stars depends on sun radius and the planet radius. Agricultural shifted to K-type star, Industrial closer to A-type stars. A-type star are located far away. The radius of the sun used by default. The corona shim and hues did change. Recommended use with OXP - System Features Sunspots 1.5.

Thanks to Wildeblood, Stranger and cim.

Last version OXZ:v0.0.7
Last version OXP:v0.0.7

Prev. OXP:v0.0.5

Snapshots:ZIP

Planning to configure the corona, depending on the type of stars, descriptions, other OXP and etc. (for example COTBS and Famous Planet).

Do you have suggestions for further modification (distance, corona for stars)?
Last edited by Rustem on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:18 am, edited 9 times in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Distant Stars [Test release]

Post by Diziet Sma »

Interesting project, Rustem..

This thread belongs in Expansion Packs, though.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Indeed interesting and, indeed, belongs to Expansion Pack.
Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rustem »

Ok, another_commander!

The color of Lave changed to white, that would be on the start screen was white.
Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rustem »

Should I keep the B(may be - A) - stars used in the list?

Since B stars, these very massive objects race through their life-cycles in only a few tens of millions of years – too quickly to allow even primitive life-forms to emerge.

In the Ooniverse as possible?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Rustem wrote:

Since B stars, these very massive objects race through their life-cycles in only a few tens of millions of years – too quickly to allow even primitive life-forms to emerge.

Anything is possible, but how many have you got?
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Rustem wrote:

Quite a lot of the planets in the game are inhabited by "Human colonials". If you're worried about B-class stars producing their own native lifeforms, you could limit their appearance to where they intersect with Human colonials, and assume that the planetary inhabitants have terraformed something or are living in some form of sealed habitat(s).
Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rustem »

Wildeblood wrote:
Anything is possible, but how many have you got?
===
The Harvard classification system - for all stars https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_classification
===
B 0.13%
A 0.6%
F 3%
G 7.6%
K 12.1%
M 76.45%
==

I rebalancing star distribution to habitable for life.

Galaxy Sector 1

B 2%
A 5%
F 23%
G 45%
K 13%
M 13%

A and B - so many, G and K - optimal for life. But this is game. Balancing between stat data, habitable for life and beauty game.

I would like to set up a small amount сlasses A, B in future release.
Last edited by Rustem on Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rustem »

Disembodied wrote:
Quite a lot of the planets in the game are inhabited by "Human colonials". If you're worried about B-class stars producing their own native lifeforms, you could limit their appearance to where they intersect with Human colonials, and assume that the planetary inhabitants have terraformed something or are living in some form of sealed habitat(s).
For G1 with default settings 1.82:

It can be recalculated in future releases.
Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rustem »

Tuning value of the sun corona (the default value corona_flare of about 1 - 9% of the radius of the sun). If the value of the corona more than 10% better view of the sun at far, but near to the sun(skimming) the saturation increases, there is nothing invisible.

Question: Should not at increasing distance to begin the process of skimming, if size of the sun corona is increase?

Quote from wiki: Scooping Fuel : To scoop hydrogen fuel from a star's corona into the converters. ...

[EliteWiki] http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Fuel_Scoops
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Rustem wrote:
Question: Should not at increasing distance to begin the process of skimming, if size of the sun corona is increase?
After doing some checking at Wikipedia, in essence, the corona of a star extends from the "surface" on out into space. In Oolite, scooping is triggered when the distance to the surface is less than 15% of the sun's radius. This is a constant, set in the code. The only way to change it would be to edit the core code and re-compile the program. So for all practical intents and purposes, there's nothing you can do to change the point at which skimming takes place.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rustem »

Diziet Sma wrote:
... So for all practical intents and purposes, there's nothing you can do to change the point at which skimming takes place.
Thanks, Diziet Sma!

When fly towards the sun , larger value of distance scooping may conflict with the mass lock, perhaps.

When for K, G - star(near sun) set value 1-10% (may be - default value), for F, A - star (far sun) increase few range (10 - 50%).

If developers will corrected core code, when it is improve view of skimming with more value of sun corona.
Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Distant Stars [Test release 0.0.2]

Post by Rustem »

I have adjusted the corona flare and correct other parameters. Human inhabitant is not factor now. Correct distance to HZ range. Add sun name.

Add statistic data on all galaxies in OXP folder.
Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Distant Stars [Test release 0.0.3]

Post by Rustem »

Distant Stars [Test release 0.0.3]:

Adjusted the color of white stars. Correct distribution, fixed bug calculation. Add corona hues and corona shimmer.
Sometimes white stars (F) are not white.
Rustem
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Distant Stars [Test release 0.0.3]

Post by Rustem »

Version 0.0.4
- Aggregateted planetinfo to one file - planetinfo.plist.
- Adds script that did variable corona flare (frequent, dreadful, unpredictable) based on the system description.

Distant Stars 0.0.4 - OXZ: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9bGdq ... sp=sharing