[Release] VariableMasslock v1.1

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

[Release] VariableMasslock v1.1

Post by Norby »

This OXP provide variable masslocks based on ship masses, from Adder at 17km to Anaconda at 26km.
The idea is based on another discussion.

In addition asteroids turn off Torus when needed to prevent impact and avoid another message in the Oolite Darwin Awards thread. You can use this feature to approach Rock Hermits fast and safely.

Available in-game in the Mechanics category.
More info in the [EliteWiki] wiki.
Last edited by Norby on Fri May 22, 2015 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
QCS
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: [Release] VariableMasslock v1.0

Post by QCS »

Probably just a nitpick, but what with ships beyond Anaconda mass? Andromeda and certain Galaxy Liners come to mind... do they now cause mass-locks larger than scanner range? Based on your calc from the Wiki, and the mass given in the Wiki, Andromeda now would cause a mass-lock radius of over 5000km :?: :!:

Well, I would call that a system-wide Torus prevention device :lol:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

...and the planet would be mass-locking ships in the next-door system! :lol:
Perhaps a sensible bit of handwavium is that the mass-lock effect has a maximum range of 25km - this explains the scanner as it is only designed to show things within mass-lock radius?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
QCS
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by QCS »

Smivs wrote:
Perhaps a sensible bit of handwavium is that the mass-lock effect has a maximum range of 25km - this explains the scanner as it is only designed to show things within mass-lock radius?
Either that, or something like that combined with a modified formula. Like Newtons Gravity law - the effect decreases squared with the distance (e.g. double distance = quarter effect)
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

"The documented formula is an approximation only, "in real" there is an exponential part which is almost zero within 25km but grow very fast and need planetary masses to cause slowdown over scanner range."

This natural law prevent pilots going crazy from masslocks caused by almost invisible ships over scanner range. :)
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Haven't tried this yet but I've checked out the wiki page and it looks great :D

This potentially minimises a few quirks of the 'non-player-centric' design.
Ships going about their business, without torus, tend to cause mass-locks, way more than the original elite. What's more, once they're off scanner, they're only just off scanner and can potentially mass-lock you all over again. In elite it was off scanner = gone, I used to put it down to them torus-ing away.

So in oolite the cobra 3 is even better than in elite: faster by 0.05 to minimise chain/extended mass-locking by other ships. Now this speed boost would be less essential as those of equal or faster speed (to 0.3) would be smaller ships (krait, mamba, sidewinder, viper, FdL, Asp) and therefore both less likely to mass-lock you and easier to steer around when they do.

Something I'd be interested in as an option would be for an initial mass-lock to occur regardless of whether it's an asteroid, adder or anaconda, and then you are released from mass-lock according to mass (maybe with a short time-delay).

Why? So that you don't miss any more encounters (torus cuts out) but for at least some of those you can finish them early should you wish (torus can be restarted according to mass and proximity as per this oxp).
Time-delay? Handwavium excuse to survey the scene for a few seconds.

In any case, thanks Norby, I look forward to checking it out :)
QCS
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by QCS »

I tested a bit around and can say it works quite good.

Only "problem" I have seen is that I am getting mass locks from the GalCop station very early (about 20 seconds on Q-Charger speed). I am not sure if I think that's good or not :-D
Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Vincentz »

Am I the only one who thinks this is a theoretical good idea, but practical a bad one?
I use the scanner alot to see when I can break free of masslock, but with this, as far as I understand it, it would be unpredictable when the mass-unlock happens?
Also, does it take into account if more than one object mass-locks you?
Lets say a python masslocks you from 20 km. Would 2 pythons masslock you from 40?

And regarding the GalCorp station lock. In the beginning the station lock can be a pita (no injectors). Increased MassLock distance means increased pita (even with injectors).

Another thing is, with fixed range masslock, when jumping/Torus'ing into a group of pirates, there is a fairly good chance of escaping unharmed with injectors, but if masslock was reduced (which I guess is what is intended), you might end up loosing half the cargo before even being able to respond to the thread, nevertheless escape from it.

Just my 2 cents. :)

edit : though I havent tried it yet, and might end up loving it ;)
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." - Isaac Asimov
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Redspear wrote:
an initial mass-lock to occur regardless of whether it's an asteroid, adder or anaconda, and then you are released from mass-lock according to mass (maybe with a short time-delay).
There is an initial masslock (except from asteroids) which is released almost instantly (within 0.3s). This give a chance to change the flight path in time without full turnback, and also to stop far from pirates exactly as earlier.
BobSongs wrote:
I encountered an asteroid. I held my breath as I aimed my ship fairly close to it. My Torus shut down with a mass-lock warning. Shortly after passing the asteroid, the all-clear green light returned and away I went.
This safety brake feature check the angles between your heading and directions of asteroids in your scanner, and within a few degree trigger slowdown at about 10km to reach normal speed about 3km before the rock. This is not a persistent masslock so you will be in green alert soon again, but make sure you corrected your direction (or left behind the rock) before start Torus to avoid accidents.
QCS wrote:
I am getting mass locks from the GalCop station very early
Objects over an Anaconda cause masslock right at scanner range as usual.
Vincentz wrote:
it would be unpredictable when the mass-unlock happens?
Usually near the 20km sign on the scanner (4/5 of max. range), except non-rock stations, Anacondas and other [wiki]Bigships[/wiki] at scanner range.
Vincentz wrote:
does it take into account if more than one object mass-locks you?
No, the effect is not added up from different ships.
Vincentz wrote:
Increased MassLock distance
Nothing is increased, the maximum is still at scanner range.
Vincentz wrote:
when jumping/Torus'ing into a group of pirates
You still slow down instantly when your scanner detect a ship (as a safety feature), but you can hit the jump key again if you want.
Last edited by Norby on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Vincentz »

Norby wrote:
Usually near the 20km sign on the scanner (4/5 of max. range), except non-rock stations, Anacondas and other [wiki]Bigships[/wiki] at scanner range.
Vincentz wrote:
when jumping/Torus'ing into a group of pirates
You still slow down instantly when your scanner detect a ship (as a safety feature), but you can hit the jump key again if you want.
Rgr. Thought maybe distance for masslock was changed to "Very Close". Gonna try it out now ;)
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." - Isaac Asimov
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

ralph_hh wrote:
Does that kill Codys docking method, using Thorus Drive on Asteroid Mines?
Partly: you must press the torus key again when you get the masslock message.
I have an idea how can I make an exception for this case.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Norby wrote:
Redspear wrote:
an initial mass-lock to occur regardless of whether it's an asteroid, adder or anaconda, and then you are released from mass-lock according to mass (maybe with a short time-delay).
There is an initial masslock (except from asteroids) which is released almost instantly (within 0.3s). This give a chance to change the flight path in time without full turnback, and also to stop far from pirates exactly as earlier.
Great :D
I think this might be a 'must-have' oxp for me. Thanks!
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

This looks to be an amazing idea.

So much time has passed and so much stuff was done since I last visited the forums! (MA and net problems will do that)
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

The coloring adds additional complexity to an overloaded display (the scanner). I would like to be able to turn it off.
Most importantly, I can't recognize Galcop vipers while they are still out of masslock range, so that I could flee into their direction from the pirates/assassins chasing me, and take care to only hit offenders/fugitives.
I tried fixing it to no avail - changing the scan class is neccessary to deactivate or activate masslock it seems, but that also changes the colors the object appears with in the scanner. I had normal ships appearing as buyos. So you probably have to set corresponding scannerDisplayColors depending on the type of the object, for all of the core ship types at least ? The problem also applys to thargoids probably, not recognizing them as such when they're over masslock range.
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] VariableMasslock v1.1

Post by Norby »

Anonymissimus wrote:
set corresponding scannerDisplayColors depending on the type of the object, for all of the core ship types at least?
Good idea, now the v1.1 set proper colors for all ship classes. OXPs can not define new classes so this should be good for all OXP ships also.

In addition the "torus stop" function now triggered by asteroids, buoys, cargo boxes and mines also. You can test at a witchspace buoy when nobody is around by going directly to the buoy using torus. Another usage is to pursuit flying cargo boxes with torus, you will stop near them so the scooping time can be shorter than before.