[RELEASE] D.T.T. Galaxy Liner 1.0

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[RELEASE] D.T.T. Galaxy Liner 1.0

Post by Paradox »

The D.T.T Galaxy Liner

Basically a Boa with a little more speed, but a little less cargo capacity. Hans Olo and JazHaz requested a ship that looked more like a passenger liner than a cargo hauler (https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... er#p210008), so this is my take on it. Though as far as I know, there is no way to give this "permanent" passenger berths... It will be up to the user to decide how it is to be used.

Width = 76m
Height = 24.5
Length = 145
energy_recharge_rate = 3.0;
max_cargo = 100;
max_energy = 450;
max_flight_pitch = 1;
max_flight_roll = 2.8;
max_flight_yaw = 1;
max_flight_speed = 320;
max_missiles = 4;
thrust = 32;

Also included is an Extras folder which contains the original .obj and the original texture template.

DOWNLOAD HERE

To install, just unzip and place the .oxp folder into your AddOns folder.

Released under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 license yada yada yada... As always, I HIGHLY encourage you to modify these files to fit your own tastes, however, if you share them, please give me credit for the original material.

Also, if you are one of the many who have helped me with answers, advice, testing, or input, I thank you!

Paradox a.k.a CybOrSpasm
[email protected]
Last edited by Paradox on Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] D.T.T. Galaxy Liner 1.0

Post by Redspear »

Like it 8)

Is that based on one of the new ED designs?

In any case it looks smooth, elegant and quirky too!
I'll find a place for it in my ooniverse.

Thanks! :D
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Very pretty vessel...
I have 2 questions that apply to this vessel... if it is a deep space vessel... why the fins... they are useless in a vacuum. I can understand docking stubs to keep the vessel from colliding with the dock.
why would a non combatant vessel have missiles... that is just asking for trouble. I can understand defensive measures, shields,etc. yes there are chaff missiles and other defensive munitions but that would make the skipper likely to confront and potentially put his passengers in extreme danger when he should be able to identify unknown tangos and avoid contact at extreme range.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Redspear wrote:
Like it 8)

Is that based on one of the new ED designs?

In any case it looks smooth, elegant and quirky too!
I'll find a place for it in my ooniverse.

Thanks! :D
If you click the link just below the picture, you will see the picture that Jazhaz posted. I do believe it is from ED (whatever that is...). Anyway, thats what "inspired" me. }:] Glad you like it!
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
Very pretty vessel...
I have 2 questions that apply to this vessel... if it is a deep space vessel... why the fins... they are useless in a vacuum. I can understand docking stubs to keep the vessel from colliding with the dock.
why would a non combatant vessel have missiles... that is just asking for trouble. I can understand defensive measures, shields,etc. yes there are chaff missiles and other defensive munitions but that would make the skipper likely to confront and potentially put his passengers in extreme danger when he should be able to identify unknown tangos and avoid contact at extreme range.
Thank you!

:) You don't watch much sci-fi do you Yah-Ta-Hey. };] Why are all Elite ships wedge shaped when a square box is actually much more space efficient? Maybe aesthetics? Maybe it is capable of planetary landing? Where else are you gonna put the little blinky lights? The designer had to justify the 500,000cr that he actually used to buy his mistress a house in the Bahamas?

Actually as I told Redspear, If you look at the link to the other discussion, you will see the ships that I loosely based mine on... No other reason...

As for missiles/armament/etc as stated, this is basically just a Boa in disguise. The open license and my encouragement to edit any and all files, means that you can make this ship anything that you would like. Enjoy!

P.S. If you think this one doesn't make sense, you're going to LOVE the next one... Steampunk anyone?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Missiles are good for slower ships - the Anaconda has seven remember - because you only need to lock a target once to kill it (or at least frighten it away). This one would probably be a fair dogfighter if need be, but lobbing a few missiles is far easier, and less likely to alarm your passengers :wink:
You can have 'permanent' passenger berths, my YellOo Cabs have one, but 20 for a player ship with no cargo capacity as such would be a tricky game to play for sure! Why not have ten fixed berths and 50TC of cargo space available?
Nice design, by the way - it reminds me of something I can't remember :roll:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
Heck.. missiles can be used in a purely defensive role.. They are quite good for convincing overly enthusiastic pirates to back off while you make a run for it. In fact, when playtesting the D.T.T. Heart of Gold I had to make a run through a string of Feudal and Anarchy worlds, with less than Iron Ass weapons and shields, and, being unable to outrun or outfight the pirates, made extensive use of ASM-12B Jida missiles (they being the cheapest hardheads available), often firing off all 6 by the time I reached the Station Aegis.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Paradox wrote:
P.S. If you think this one doesn't make sense, you're going to LOVE the next one... Steampunk anyone?
<grins> I've been waiting for this one! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Paradox wrote:
<grins> I've been waiting for this one! 8)
:lol: Ya, ya.. sometimes I hate you, ya know! };] When I made these, I had given up on submitting them, so I wasn't worried about scale (not that scale means anything in Oolite anyways...) , sizes, or stats etc. I just made it, gave it the stats I wanted, then went and drove it around! But now, in order to actually submit these things, I have had to go back and try to make them fit in a little better. Which means all the way back to Wings3D and adjust scales, then re-export them, then convert them, then rewrite the configs, then start the game to find out they don't work, then debug them, then render them, then photoshop a promo, then upload all that, then write the copy... All because of

"But speaking of the time and effort you've put in, since you've already done the work, it's a shame to not make them available."

HA!

Let me know if you're ever in Tennessee, I wanna thank you for all the work you did on the wiki for me!
Then I want to kick you butt! };] :twisted:
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Smivs wrote:
Missiles are good for slower ships - the Anaconda has seven remember - because you only need to lock a target once to kill it (or at least frighten it away). This one would probably be a fair dogfighter if need be, but lobbing a few missiles is far easier, and less likely to alarm your passengers :wink:
You can have 'permanent' passenger berths, my YellOo Cabs have one, but 20 for a player ship with no cargo capacity as such would be a tricky game to play for sure! Why not have ten fixed berths and 50TC of cargo space available?
Nice design, by the way - it reminds me of something I can't remember :roll:
Yep, I simply assume they are hidden inside the scoop bay just as the lasers are hidden so as not to alarm the passengers. }:]

I thought of your yellow cabs after posting this, but I figured it was probably scripted, in which case, the odds of me spending even more time on this project when there will only be ~20 downloads or so, is pretty slim. Too many other ships in my brain trying to get out! };]

This is the image that JazHaz posted... Dunno where he got it from. Is that what your thinking of?

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Paradox wrote:
This is the image that JazHaz posted... Dunno where he got it from. Is that what your thinking of?
Those are the 'luxury liners' from Elite: Dangerous - Orca and Dolphin, if memory serves.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Paradox wrote:
HA!

Let me know if you're ever in Tennessee, I wanna thank you for all the work you did on the wiki for me!
<chuckles>

Thanks for the offer, but the US is one country I have no intentions of setting foot in.. too much of a growing resemblance to 1930's Germany for my liking.. :wink:

You're most welcome to visit Downunder, though. (our beer is better, too!) :D
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Paradox wrote:
HA!

<chuckles>

Thanks for the offer, but the US is one country I have no intentions of setting foot in.. too much of a growing resemblance to 1930's Germany for my liking.. :wink:

You're most welcome to visit Downunder, though. (our beer is better, too!) :D
You ain't kidding pardner! Things are getting all kinds of scary in this country. If I could head for Aussie Land, I would in a heartbeat... Or New Zealand... Maybe when I win that lottery and buy my sailboat! };]
Back to trying to write some copy for the next ship...UGGG! }:P