Realistic Damage OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Realistic Damage OXP

Post by Thargoid »

A small and simple script OXP, which makes equipment damage a little more realistic.

In the vanilla game, most equipment can become damaged but it will never be fully destroyed. This script modifies that, and gives a chance whenever an item is damaged that it will be broken beyond repair and completely destroyed. In such cases repair will not be possible and the item will need to be purchased again from scratch.

The base chance of a damaged piece of equipment being totally destroyed is between 5-10%, and is also weighted by the items complexity (it's tech level).

For OXP makers, if an item is destroyed the event this.equipmentDestroyed is sent to all other loaded world scripts, with the equipment entity as the parameter (in the same way as this.equipmentDamaged). The script also has a 0.25s delay after the equipmentDamaged trigger, so immediately self-repairing OXP equipment will be immune to destruction.

With thanks to Eric Walch for some useful discussion about timers, and to Ironfist for beta testing.

Download from the wiki or box.com, via the links below.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Realistic Damage OXP

Post by Smivs »

I like this idea, but I could see life getting quite expensive!
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Nice idea, and it fits nicely into my perception of a "realistic" Ooniverse. Now, a quick question/challenge. How about an oxp that allows you to carry spares at the cost of cargo space. Spares could be made available at (required_tech_level)+3. Time to install in space could be (time_to_install_at_station) * 2.
Of course, not all equipment is available as spares, but I imagine fuel scoops, injectors maybe, docking computer, etc. I would imagine that the cost in cargo space to carry spares would be quite hefty, and the cost to buy the spares would of course be high owing to the complexity of preparing and storing the equipment for a semi automated install procedure.
This might need some thought to make it balanced though.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Maybe in 1.77, where we can properly take up cargo space ;)
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

This is a nice OXP. However, it destroyed my ship's cloaking device and then I could not buy one anywhere. I had to edit the save file. A problem?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

UK_Eliter wrote:
This is a nice OXP. However, it destroyed my ship's cloaking device and then I could not buy one anywhere. I had to edit the save file. A problem?
Why is this a problem, other than for you? The item is never available for sale (at least without an OXP offering it). It's supposed to be a one-off, hence when it's gone, it's gone. So if it gets totally destroyed, then it's gone.

Life's hard sometimes, and then you die cheat...
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Thargoid wrote:
UK_Eliter wrote:
Why is this a problem, other than for you? The item is never available for sale (at least without an OXP offering it). It's supposed to be a one-off, hence when it's gone, it's gone. So if it gets totally destroyed, then it's gone.

OK; I may have been a bit blunt there. For, yes: fair enough! (Also:) I suppose it is up to makers of OXP stations and the like to decide whether they want them ever to sell cloaking devices.
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

UK_Eliter wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
UK_Eliter wrote:

OK; I may have been a bit blunt there. For, yes: fair enough! (Also:) I suppose it is up to makers of OXP stations and the like to decide whether they want them ever to sell cloaking devices.
:lol: lol
Hmm, I'm still in Galaxy 1, with all those OXP I got installed there is so much to discover. But this means I don't have a cloaking device yet (although I already know how to get it because seemingly the colors of the bulletin board changed so I was able to read the supposedly hidden spoilers here). But often, other ships seem to have something like a cloaking device: some are invisible on the scanner, others "flicker"/become invisible. Where did these guys get that equipment? :roll:
忍 knowing that enough is enough, you'll always have enough.

Running Oolite 1.77 on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It's really a multi player game and we just didn't tell you. Those are other players who have done the eight :wink: :twisted:
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

Thargoid wrote:
It's really a multi player game and we just didn't tell you. Those are other players who have done the eight :wink: :twisted:
:lol:

UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

GGShinobi wrote:
Hmm, I'm still in Galaxy 1, with all those OXP I got installed there is so much to discover. But this means I don't have a cloaking device yet (although I already know how to get it because seemingly the colors of the bulletin board changed so I was able to read the supposedly hidden spoilers here). But often, other ships seem to have something like a cloaking device: some are invisible on the scanner, others "flicker"/become invisible. Where did these guys get that equipment? :roll:
Hi GGShinobi (not sure I've said hello yet).

Invisible on scanner = has M.A.S.C. = Military Anti-Scanner Countermeasures. I think that MASC is built into the game, but I'm not sure one can (i.e. that players can) buy it anywhere (or can do so anymore; some players and OXP creators think it worsens the game . . try searching the boards for 'MASC' for more information).

The flickering indicates, in fact, a cloaking device. A cloaking device doesn't fully hide its ship (although non-player characters tend to act as if it did).
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

UK_Eliter wrote:
GGShinobi wrote:
Hi GGShinobi (not sure I've said hello yet).

Invisible on scanner = has M.A.S.C. = Military Anti-Scanner Countermeasures. I think that MASC is built into the game, but I'm not sure one can (i.e. that players can) buy it anywhere (or can do so anymore; some players and OXP creators think it worsens the game . . try searching the boards for 'MASC' for more information).

The flickering indicates, in fact, a cloaking device. A cloaking device doesn't fully hide its ship (although non-player characters tend to act as if it did).
Interesting... thanks for the info! And hello UK_Eliter! :D