List of Planets used in OXPs

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

List of Planets used in OXPs

Post by Smivs »

Hi all,
My current WIP includes a planetinfo.plist in which I am adapting the descriptions of around a dozen planets. This is common practice - Galactic Navy does this to mention the Sec-Com stations and Assassins Guild also adds to several planet descriptions and I'm sure there are others.
The point is, there does not seem to be a list anywhere of the planets whose descriptions have been modified by OXP, and therefore there is a real risk that unwittingly two OXPs might overwrite the description of the same planet at some point, meaning only one will take effect.
I therefore propose that a wiki page is started listing all the planets that have had their descriptions changed by OXP authors. That way we can check if a planet we wish to use has already been used by a previous OXP, or if it is still 'available'.
I am happy to make such a wiki page, but need the necessary information, so if any author who has used planetinfo to change a description or anybody who is aware of any of the existing instances could post the information here I'll make a start on the wiki page.
The information I will need is the Galaxy number and the planet number and name. The names of the OXPs are probably not so important but worth mentioning anyway.
So, for example lets take the GN Sec-Com station at Riareror in G7. The required information would be
Riareror 6 214
Just to get the ball rolling, these are the planets I am using.
Sori 0 66
Zaleriza 0 238
Isatre 0 152
Sosole 1 192
Atistiso 2 57
Usgeat 3 134
Zausmaor 3 189
Raleor 4 50
Biteen 5 193
Ertius 6 151
Xeraso 6 159
Esaqube 6 205
Usmaedin 7 13
Xetila 7 168
Edited to replace Sori with Zaleriza (see posts below).

Title edited to reflect expansion of the List
Last edited by Smivs on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: List of modified planetinfo.plists

Post by Cody »

Smivs wrote:
Galactic Navy does this to mention the Sec-Com stations and Assassins Guild also adds to several planet descriptions and I'm sure there are others.
PAG's Famous Planets comes to mind - there's a long list in there.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

What about systems that perhaps might not be around in the future? I don't want to go into it too much, but perhaps if there were a few systems in Galaxy 8 that were suddenly 'destroyed', should they be added to this list? :twisted:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

El Viejo wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Galactic Navy does this to mention the Sec-Com stations and Assassins Guild also adds to several planet descriptions and I'm sure there are others.
PAG's Famous Planets comes to mind - there's a long list in there.
And we have clashes already. I'd think the planet/moon business should start moving to a API (e.g. Cmd.Cheyds DH-Systems) to avoid this. I'm not sure what kind of possibilities DH-Systems provides (merging, replacing, etc...), but without a mechanism to sync the different OXPs it will stay this way.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Aquatics modifies Ribiara in G3, changes its name (to Aqualina) and adjusts the planet a bit. It also replaces the main station with a different one (the corp's HQ).

Editted to add - G3, planet #99
Last edited by Thargoid on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Sori, 0 66, is also known as Ascension and is also one of the destinations I have included GalDrive Programmer.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Well, here is evidence already why this proposed list is such a good idea!
Wildeblood wrote:
Sori, 0 66, is also known as Ascension and is also one of the destinations I have included GalDrive Programmer.
@ Wildeblood, (excuse the pun) I'm sorry, but Sori is Sori! This is plain to see in the wiki planet list for G1. There is no such planet as Ascension in Oolite...it was a bad idea that died the death it should have done, so much so that all reference to it is likely to be removed from Famous Planets as well, as is mentioned here. Please don't take offence - by all means link to Sori in your OXP, but use its proper name. :wink:
Edited to add:- Re-reading this it seems I'm 'suggesting' you do something to your OXP to accomodate mine. That's not the case...I don't have to use the planet Sori, so I may well 'adopt' another planet to avoid any clashes.

Back on-topic, as I said I'm quite happy to make up a wiki page to avoid possible clashes which is why I asked for the necessary information to be posted here. What I'm not going to do is spend hours I don't have downloading OXPs and pouring over their planetinfo.plists, and perusing the wiki to glean information.
This proposed list is in everybody's interests (particularly OXP authors), so just to repeat myself, if you want to make sure future OXPs don't over-write your planetinfo, please post the Planet name, and galaxy and planet number here.
Last edited by Smivs on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 4&start=35 indicates that pagroove intends to do descriptions for all planets in g0 (G1).

I guess I should take the updated script/planetinfo.plist for FP offline now, as it it superfluous and will cause only confusion. Will ask pagroove.

Edit: Done. The updated version is offline now.
Last edited by Svengali on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Looking through my downloaded OXPs:
Asteroid Storm: Leesti = 0 55
Coyote's Run: Biceri = 4 58
Ionics: Cevera = 1 198, Zaria = 1 251, Ramaza = 1 26, Bebege = 1 32, Dimadi = 1 36, Soorte = 1 42, Ersoonve = 1 50, Legeara = 1 55
Lave: Lave = 0 7
Lovecats: Teance = 3 149
Rescue Stations: Lezaer = 2 5, Ceanbibi = 2 76
Taranis: Lerelace = 0 141
Tianve: Tianve = 0 246
Trident Down*: Raceedat = 3 135, Leenor = 3 187, Dicebe = 3 197, Lavebe = 3 2, Leisera = 3 247, Lequetor = 3 34, Bianti = 3 65,

* = by modifying the system info with Javascript, rather than by shipping a planetinfo file, but there's still scope for clashes.

Galactic Navy and Famous Planets both have pretty large lists, and the nature of Famous Planets is that future versions might have more, of course.

Rescue Stations and Feudal States will both append to the existing planetinfo by modifying the save game, to note RRS Group Galactic HQs and Feudal Royalty respectively, which can make a mess of things if you then install a new OXP later.

I did put together this proof of concept for a way of handling clashes between OXPs better. If there's interest in it - specifically, if people actually want to use it to manage planetinfo between their own OXPs - then I can continue working on it.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Thanks for those cim.

Does anybody have any thoughts on how the wiki page should work? I'm viewing it as a quick-check sort of page, where an author can go to check if the planet he wants to use has already been 'taken'. So I was thinking just a list or table, something like that. Arranged by Galaxy, and probably best with the planets listed alphabetically by name. How does that sound?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Smivs wrote:
I'm sorry, but Sori is Sori! This is plain to see in the wiki planet list for G1. There is no such planet as Ascension in Oolite...
In all fairness, the same is of course also true for Ribiara. The wiki planet list for G3 contains no Aqualina.

Personally, I find some consistency in the basic layout of the game important, and for me this includes that some basics of the galactic map should be the same for all players, regardless of their OXPs. The system names are for me clearly among these basics. Ionics.oxp changes the techlevels (and I think economies as well) of some systems drastically, which I found borderline since I played it first. I almost decided against playing it because of these drastic changes. But changing a system name clearly crosses the border for me.

I like the Aquatics ships very much, they are an integral part of my Ooniverse, but because of this "Aqualina" stuff I will forever continue to use version 1.04 of this OXP, which is the last version before the OXP went a step too far (in my opinion).
Captain Beatnik
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Captain Beatnik »

I have modified the discription of the Planet Riredi in Galaxy one in an ambience-OXP I´m working on (WIP, 1% done):

Riredi, 0 210" =

description = "This world is very fabled for the Rirediian mountain slug. This epic creatures are isles of flourishing life on the otherwise deserted planet and each of them forms a complete ecosystem. Dealing with radioactives is strictly prohibited on this world because radiation is very harmful to the slugs. Riredi is orbited by a dodecahedron-station and a sodalite-station that houses the Coluber Works and Shipyards and the HQ of Riredisec inc..";
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
(Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It also depends somewhat on how OXPs which reference system names are written. If it's hard-coded in (ie the name as text) then problems can occur if things get changed, but if the system is referenced via an expansion then the new name will be substituted in instead. See [EliteWiki] here for details, specifically %Jxxx, with a side order of %H and %I.

It won't stop clashes where two OXPs both want to alter a given system of course (hence this thread is valid to try and stop that) but just because a wiki and vanilla trunk list says a system should have a given name and other stats should not (for me) mean it has to stay that way when perfectly good methods are available for both changing and reacting to that change are in the code already.

In my ooniverse it's the natural extension of countries changing names, which as we all know happens fairly frequently around the world and they don't suddenly fall of maps or people stop knowing who or where they are.
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Smivs - I think this is a great idea and should certainly help reduce duplication of work in the future.

Looking to the future it would be great to try to pool together all the great textured planets but this may be easier said than done.

I have seen many fantastic looking planets via posted screenshots and oxps but to be honest I am not too sure which combination of oxps provide which planets or which screenshots are currently WIP only.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Reading back, a couple of points/comments caught my eye.
Pleb wrote:
What about systems that perhaps might not be around in the future? I don't want to go into it too much, but perhaps if there were a few systems in Galaxy 8 that were suddenly 'destroyed', should they be added to this list? :twisted:
That depends on the circumstances really...for example if their destruction precedes the players' visit to them and this is going to be enshrined in planetinfo.plist then 'Yes'. Obviously I'd suggest you refer to the list (when it exists) to make sure you're not destroying planets other people have used :wink:
Svengali wrote:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 4&start=35 indicates that pagroove intends to do descriptions for all planets in g0 (G1).
It does indeed state that. I think to do this would be regretable, as it would effectively deny other authors the option of changing any of the descriptions for G1 planets to accommodate their own OXP projects. Famous Planets should do any 'famous' planets...that's what it does, but leave the rest of them alone so the rest of us can use them if we need to, please.