[RELEASE] Tionisla Chronicle Array OXP (v1.03)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

[RELEASE] Tionisla Chronicle Array OXP (v1.03)

Post by Storm »

Hi all! I think my first OXP is finally ready for release. I hope you enjoy it!

In high orbit on the dark side of Tionisla, the famed Tionsila Chronicle broadcasts the latest news across the galaxy.

Sixty hexagonal high-intensity FTL transmitter panels - each one fully half a kilometer across on opposite points - adorn a trio of arms each nearly two kilometers long that protrude from the central hub of the broadcast array. The incredible amount of energy fed to the panels means that the TCA is visible from the planets surface, despite it being constantly shrouded from the sun.

The Tionisla Chronicle Array is home to a huge staff of maintenance engineers, holocam crews and of course reporters, delivering to you up-to-the-minute breaking news no matter where you travel.

The Tionisla Chronicle Array is by no means the only Broadcast Array across the eight charts, although it is the most famous.

The Tionisla Chronicle Array - Tionisla, Chart 1
The Views of the Worlds Array - Xeabiti, Chart 2
The GNN Array - Geusdi, Chart 3
The Daily Wail Array - Quonzo, Chart 4
The G5TVN Array - Maeser, Chart 5
The Rooters Array - Tiregees, Chart 6
The StarSports Array - Zarausxe, Chart 7
The Snoopers Array - Maabile, Chart 8

The TCA oxp can be downloaded at: http://www.box.com/s/jcbh1c7qryhn0pui2ndg

I hope to add missions and appropriate station traffic in future versions.

My thanks to Drew, DaddyHoggy, Svengali, and Disembodied for use of the Snoopers OXP channels.
Credits to Smivs for the G5TVN Channel.
Thanks to DaddyHoggy again for Views of the World and the Daily Wail channels.
StarSports is my own channel addition.
Thanks to Okti and Cim for scripting help.
Last edited by Storm on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Tionisla Chronicle Array OXP

Post by dertien »

Looking magnificent storm, will try it now. :D
Alpha Backer of Elite Dangerous
With 250 GBP :D
Captain Beatnik
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Captain Beatnik »

A marvelous ambience oxp, Storm! :D Downloading.

I think with the TOG and now the new station in it the Tionisla system in my personal ooniverse is rather densely populated. I hope this will not result in a price explosion on the property market in the Tionisla system. Even more I hope this will not result in a framerate drop in the imac system. :wink:

Best regards

C.B.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
(Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001)
Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

V1.0.1... hopefully fixed the lighting issues for older OpenGL machines that were getting rather dull looking broadcast arrays. For non-shaders, I still am having issues getting the billboard display screen inside the dock to change emission maps via javascript to the correct galactic chart channel. Hopefully this won't foxoid me for long (or someone else points out a glaring error that I've missed so far!)

... and thanks to Thargoid for pointing out that glaring error for me. :)
Last edited by Storm on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

v 1.01 still gives errors, but less of them:

Code: Select all

22:43:20.545 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for broadcast_array_dock.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
ERROR: 0:20: '*' :  wrong operand types no operation '*' exists that takes a left-hand operand of type 'uniform float' and a right operand of type 'const int' (or there is no acceptable conversion)

22:43:20.546 [shader.load.fullModeFailed]: ----- WARNING: Could not build shader broadcast_array_dock.vertex/broadcast_array_dock.fragment in full complexity mode, trying simple mode.
22:43:20.549 [shader.load.fallbackSuccess]: Simple mode fallback successful.
  22:43:20.807 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for broadcast_array_display.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
ERROR: 0:44: '*' :  wrong operand types no operation '*' exists that takes a left-hand operand of type 'const float' and a right operand of type 'uniform int' (or there is no acceptable conversion)
ERROR: 0:45: '*' :  wrong operand types no operation '*' exists that takes a left-hand operand of type 'const float' and a right operand of type 'uniform int' (or there is no acceptable conversion)
ERROR: 0:46: '*' :  wrong operand types no operation '*' exists that takes a left-hand operand of type 'const float' and a right operand of type 'uniform int' (or there is no acceptable conversion)

22:43:20.807 [shader.load.fullModeFailed]: ----- WARNING: Could not build shader broadcast_array_display.vertex/broadcast_array_display.fragment in full complexity mode, trying simple mode.
22:43:20.809 [shader.load.fallbackSuccess]: Simple mode fallback successful.
  22:43:20.934 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for broadcast_array_display.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
ERROR: 0:44: '*' :  wrong operand types no operation '*' exists that takes a left-hand operand of type 'const float' and a right operand of type 'uniform int' (or there is no acceptable conversion)
ERROR: 0:45: '*' :  wrong operand types no operation '*' exists that takes a left-hand operand of type 'const float' and a right operand of type 'uniform int' (or there is no acceptable conversion)
ERROR: 0:46: '*' :  wrong operand types no operation '*' exists that takes a left-hand operand of type 'const float' and a right operand of type 'uniform int' (or there is no acceptable conversion)

22:43:20.934 [shader.load.fullModeFailed]: ----- WARNING: Could not build shader broadcast_array_display.vertex/broadcast_array_display.fragment in full complexity mode, trying simple mode.
22:43:20.934 [shader.load.fallbackSuccess]: Simple mode fallback successful.
Also, it has only a small 'b' instead of the nice beacon symbol.

In case of broadcast_array_display.fragment I see one possible source of the problem at the end of the three lines

float ScrollingDisplayR = texture2D(uEffectsMap, vec2(vTexCoord.s + counter - flipCounter - flipCounter2, vTexCoord.t + (0.125 * uGalaxy))).r;
	float ScrollingDisplayG = texture2D(uEffectsMap, vec2(vTexCoord.s + counter - flipCounter - flipCounter2, vTexCoord.t + (0.125 * uGalaxy))).g;
	float ScrollingDisplayB = texture2D(uEffectsMap, vec2(vTexCoord.s + counter - flipCounter - flipCounter2, vTexCoord.t + (0.125 * uGalaxy))).b;
because of

uniform int		uGalaxy;
I don't see something similar in broadcast_array_dock.fragment, though.

If I'm right, how can it be fixed?
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Stunning work, Storm. Huge appreciation from me. Great to see the Chronicle 'come alive' :D

Bravo.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Fantastic work! Fiction becomes Ooreality! :). I like it! :D
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Wow, that is a lovely piece of work!

Well done.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
v 1.01 still gives errors, but less of them:

22:43:20.545 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for broadcast_array_dock.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
ERROR: 0:20: '*' :  wrong operand types no operation '*' exists that takes a left-hand operand of type 'uniform float' and a right operand of type 'const int' (or there is no acceptable conversion)

because of

uniform int		uGalaxy;
If I'm right, how can it be fixed?
I just downloaded version 1.02 and still get above error. The reason is that uGalaxy is bounded to the float 'fuel' but defined as a int in the shader. Changing above line into:

uniform float		uGalaxy;
fixes all errors with me. That just leaves one discrepancy: in the JS script, the fuel is set to galaxyNumber/10, but in the shader it looks like you try to convert it to a galaxyNumber by multiplying with 0.125. Should that not be multiply by 10?

Anyhow, the array looks amazing now, compared with the 1.0 version were no shaders were visible on my system. And because the station is placed outside of direct sunlight, it needs shaders to get some light, as it has now with working shaders.
Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

The Fuel shader uniform is in one-tenths (0-70) so assigning each station the galaxyNumber/10 of fuel in javascrtipt meant a value of 0-7 when passing to uGalaxy. The *0.125 is the offset of the texture's total height as a percentage on the Y-coordinate - so for example galaxy 3 would offset the texture by 37.5% of the .png's height. Of course I could have left out the /10 and just have multiplied by 0.0125 instead inside the shader. :)

Anyway thanks to cim I've got the issue with the scrolling billboards fixed for the older OpenGL issues and v1.03 is now uploaded.
Gimbal Locke
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimbal Locke »

Storm wrote:
Anyway thanks to cim I've got the issue with the scrolling billboards fixed for the older OpenGL issues and v1.03 is now uploaded.
This is most cool. In this version the shaders on the hexagons and the ticker are looking on my (not-so-old, less than one year old actually) Thinkpad E520 with Intel HD Graphics 3000 & Xubuntu as they should.

Before (up to v.1.02):

After (v.1.03):

This OXP is very "polished", great job.
Solonar
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Solonar »

Nice work, looks sharp. The first thing I did was check out The Views of the Worlds Array (Xeabiti, Chart 2), which was just one jump away from my homeworld of Esceso. :)

SolarTech proudly presents the Plasma Turret Regulator Device Apparatus, aka the Turret Toggler
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Tionisla Chronicle Array OXP (v1.03)

Post by JazHaz »

I think that someone needs to do an updated Tionisla video, featuring the pulsar and the array....
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The pulsar's Tianve, nor Tionisla.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Whoops! :shock: :lol: