Delightful Docking OXP/OXZ

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Delightful Docking OXP/OXZ

Post by Smivs »

Version 1.1 OXZ now available. See release post for details.

This OXP adds some small but popular improvements to docking and using the Docking Computer in Oolite. Any part can be easily removed if not required.

DETAILS

Autopilot - When docking by autopilot you will often be placed in a queue. Normally your ship is just 'parked' as it is. This OXP causes your ship to be aligned with the station while you wait, allowing you to watch the station and the ships docking or leaving.

(v1.0 OXP only) Rotation - This OXP slows the rotation of the stations. This is not to make docking easier, but rather to make the stations look better, as the slower rotation looks more realistic and makes the stations appear larger. These changes only affect the default stations (Coriolis, Dodecahedron and Icosahedron) and do not affect any OXP stations.

Music - This OXP also includes an orchestral recording of the Blue Danube (the Docking Computer music), which adds a bit of class to the whole docking experience. Full details are in the readme in the Music folder.

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0
Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by- nc-sa/3.0/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.

The OXP was developed by Smivs.

Download Delightful Docking OXP here.
Last edited by Smivs on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: [NEW RELEASE] Delightful Docking OXP

Post by maik »

Nice! May I suggest to link to this thread from its entry in the OXP List rather to than to its homepage? That way it is easier for users to find the appropriate discussion place. Also, I assume it is compatible with 1.76 (there is no entry in the C column) ;-)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

maik wrote:
Nice! May I suggest to link to this thread from its entry in the OXP List rather to than to its homepage? That way it is easier for users to find the appropriate discussion place. Also, I assume it is compatible with 1.76 (there is no entry in the C column) ;-)
Good idea. Done! :)
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

Nice touch! 8)
Oolite 1.76
Debian 6 : Ubuntu 12.04
NVidia 6200 : Radeon/AMD thang
Abit AN7 : Packard Bell TJ74
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

Is it my imagination or is that music played by organic lifeforms? What a novel idea!

I didn't notice any other difference when docking at a Rock Hermit station but then there was no holding queue... but whilst doing so I pondered... I could possibly earn a few extra credits as a taxi by taking scenic pictures en-route and selling them as souvenirs or alternatively get a tip for being top banana. For that I'd buy it as a docking computer upgrade. Could a similar thing take an aesthetic route in to the planet so that we see the sunlit side and a sliver or so of the dark? Uses toris/fuel injection when available but cuts out if fuel falls below say 2 or 3ly?

Greyth wanders off...
Oolite 1.76
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

Yes! Docking gave me a planetary approach view and a view of the station whist holding :inane grin:
Oolite 1.76
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

This is a loveley oxp. Thankyou for producing it :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Post by fronclynne »

Two words: delightful.
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Delightful Docking OXP

Post by dertien »

very nice addition , thanks Smivs
Alpha Backer of Elite Dangerous
With 250 GBP :D
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Smivs wrote:
Music - This OXP also includes an orchestral recording of the Blue Danube (the Docking Computer music), which adds a bit of class to the whole docking experience. Full details are in the readme in the Music folder.
Is it compatible with Random Docking Music? That is, can I have nice docking and random docking music, or will I need to edit the script myself?
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I haven't tested the two together, but simply removing the Music folder from Delightful Docking will disable the music element of this OXP. From what I know of Random Docking Music, you can add sound files, so one option might be to remove the Music folder from DD and move the .ogg in it to the Music folder of RDM, which will add it to the playlist there.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

I have now done the two things I should have done in the first place.
Smivs wrote:
simply removing the Music folder from Delightful Docking will disable the music element of this OXP.
... and that is clearly stated in the documentation provided with the OXP which I did not bother to read. :oops:
Smivs wrote:
I haven't tested the two together
Nor did I, but I could have done, couldn't I? :oops:

I have tested it myself.

Regardless of whether Random Docking Music or Delightful Docking loads first, the music comes from Random Docking Music. Whilst Delightful Docking replaces the default music, Random Docking Music actively takes control of specifying what should be played when the Docking Computer is active, thereby over-riding the music provided by Delightful Docking.

Hence, I believe Delightful Docking and Random Docking Music can both be installed without amendment and play together nicely. This OXP will be look pretty and the other provide the sound.

I also believe everyone should install both. 8)
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

SandJ wrote:
I have now done the two things I should have done in the first place.
Smivs wrote:
simply removing the Music folder from Delightful Docking will disable the music element of this OXP.
... and that is clearly stated in the documentation provided with the OXP which I did not bother to read. :oops:
Don't worry, nobody does :wink: (My new Battle Damage OXP doesn't have a 'readme'...it has a document entitled 'Notes and Instructions...' . Will it make a difference? Will people read it? <Looks for shrugging 'Who knows?' smiley>
SandJ wrote:
Smivs wrote:
I haven't tested the two together
Nor did I, but I could have done, couldn't I? :oops:
Yes, I probably should have, but TBH I'd forgotten that Random Docking Music existed. You see, when I play Oolite, I either
1) Dock using insta-dock (when testing only, to save time. I'm mostly testing things these days!)
2) Dock manually
3) Dock using the computer listening to the Blue Danube. The Blue Danube is the docking music...nothing else will do :) Blind prejudice and set-in-my-ways-ness!
SandJ wrote:
I have tested it myself.
Regardless of whether Random Docking Music or Delightful Docking loads first, the music comes from Random Docking Music. Whilst Delightful Docking replaces the default music, Random Docking Music actively takes control of specifying what should be played when the Docking Computer is active, thereby over-riding the music provided by Delightful Docking.

Hence, I believe Delightful Docking and Random Docking Music can both be installed without amendment and play together nicely. This OXP will be look pretty and the other provide the sound.

I also believe everyone should install both. 8)
Thanks for researching this...I'm sure it will be useful to others. I, for one will stick with the Blue Danube. Anything else just wouldn't seem right. :|
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Another OXP that I discovered rather by accident (I was actually looking if the Blue Danube-recording that's in the core Oolite is under any CC license) and that I will install immediately.
Too bad that I will dock manually for a while in my new save :(
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

As of tonight, 1200 downloads :)
Consistantly my best-selling OXP - thanks everyone!