Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The Honourable Guild of Test Pilots

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: The Honourable Guild of Test Pilots

Post by Fatleaf »

Just installed 1.77. Launched as before with no oxp's and getting only 5fps.

Code: Select all

Opening log for Oolite version 1.77 (x86-32) under Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 64-bit at 2013-03-11 14:38:38 +0000.
2 processors detected.
Build options: spoken messages, mass/fuel pricing.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

14:38:38.131 [dataCache.notFound]: No data cache found, starting from scratch.
14:38:38.482 [display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1366 x 768
14:38:38.757 [joystick.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
14:38:38.758 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.0 ("2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.1808"). Vendor: "Intel". Renderer: "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family".
14:38:38.758 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (68):
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_SGIS_texture_lod
14:38:38.769 [rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Fatleaf wrote:

Opening log for Oolite version 1.77 (x86-32) under Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 64-bit at 2013-03-11 14:38:38 +0000.
14:11:17.963 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.0 ("2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.1808"). Vendor: "Intel". Renderer: "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family".
Hmm.. an Intel chip in a Windows laptop, eh? You might want to check out this post for how to install the latest non-OEM drivers directly from Intel. With luck, it will help.
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Fatleaf wrote:

14:11:17.963 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.0 ("2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.1808"). Vendor: "Intel". Renderer: "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family".
Oh. That's not good news. Sorry.

That particular graphics card chipset has been having problems with Oolite (and OpenGL in general)for a long time (I can find references in the forum search going back several years). So you may be stuck with 1.76 for now, unfortunately. Possibly driver updates might help, possibly not.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

cim wrote:
That particular graphics card chipset has been having problems with Oolite (and OpenGL in general)for a long time (I can find references in the forum search going back several years). So you may be stuck with 1.76 for now, unfortunately. Possibly driver updates might help, possibly not.
I thought it was something like that. I remember some of the issues before and I have had a few myself. 1.76 is the best yet to run on this laptop so I am happy with that. I have the latest drivers installed but even if there was an update it probably wouldn't alter much. Just the card is pants and that's all there is to it.

But thanks for trying. :D
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK, I need a few pilots, ideally with js debug console, to test my new Thargoid warship ship script which can re-animate dormant uncontrolled Thargons.

Anyone who's interested in having a try, please PM me.
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Ok, let's see how badly I can screw this up. };]

This is the first oxp I feel ready to let someone else play with. This is my Heavy Metal Freight Liner. She's a BIG hauler... Longer than an Anaconda, but she's also a might faster :wink: ... and just don't try to turn her too fast... 'cuz you can't. Don't get in front of her in the fast lane boys, or they will be scraping you off her grill. And watch the acceleration and braking, especially when docking! She'll stop on a dime... if the dime is the size of a small moon. She's built for haulin' freight, and protecting it too! After all, you don't get paid if you don't deliver! Front and rear lasers as well as 6 missile slots! Oh ya, and here's a plus, when you dock, you don't have to match the spin, just line 'er up, and driver her in! My girls pretty trim! Anyways, she needs a few shakedown runs and I need whatever feedback you can think of. Here's her centerfold pics and a link.. I hope.

Get it here! And thank you everyone!
Last edited by Paradox on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cool! 8)

Some interesting artwork.. almost makes me wonder if you know my brother.. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Cool! 8)

Some interesting artwork.. almost makes me wonder if you know my brother.. :lol:
Your brother? I think I am missing something... But thanks for the compliment(?). };] (Gotta love Poser!)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Paradox wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Cool! 8)

Your brother? I think I am missing something... But thanks for the compliment(?). };] (Gotta love Poser!)
My brother is a professional artist - does a lot of 50's and hotrod style work.. Your rocket-girl reminds me of something he did several years ago.. :wink:

Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Paradox wrote:
My brother is a professional artist - does a lot of 50's and hotrod style work.. Your rocket-girl reminds me of something he did several years ago..
Ah, ok. Ya, the whole girl on a rocket was a pretty common theme.
Girls On Rockets
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

:( One download, and no comments in a week... So much for that idea.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Paradox wrote:
Patience.. I've had no time to play until now.. soon as I log off here, it's game on.

Besides.. consider the time of year.. haven't you noticed how quiet the board has been lately? :wink:
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Paradox wrote:
Patience.. I've had no time to play until now.. soon as I log off here, it's game on.

Besides.. consider the time of year.. haven't you noticed how quiet the board has been lately? :wink:
I hit this board 5-6 times a day, and see when things get posted and responded to... I thought I was being patient after waiting a whole week without a peep! :? I have a bunch of stuff ready to release, but wanted someone who knows what they are actually doing to look these over before I dump them on the unsuspecting. :twisted: };] But no matter... As long as someone can tell me my .plists (mainly shipsdata), is set up correctly and not going to melt anyone's computer... :wink:

I think the real problem is more likely that my "style" is not what most of the local Oolite universe is accustomed to. However, I hate triangles, but I am sure that the original creators would have done things differently if the technology of the time would have allowed it. The Heavy Metal space semi is a bit "tongue in cheek" as well, and probably not in accord with many peoples "elite" tastes, but I just wanted some quick input, not a long term commitment. };] I do have some more serious stuff in the works like my Wraith:

Anyways, sorry for the rant Diziet Sma, I think you have responded to almost every post I have made, at least in some way. };]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Paradox wrote:
I have a bunch of stuff ready to release, but wanted someone who knows what they are actually doing to look these over before I dump them on the unsuspecting. :twisted: };] But no matter... As long as someone can tell me my .plists (mainly shipsdata), is set up correctly and not going to melt anyone's computer... :wink:
See my report below..
Paradox wrote:
I think the real problem is more likely that my "style" is not what most of the local Oolite universe is accustomed to. However, I hate triangles, but I am sure that the original creators would have done things differently if the technology of the time would have allowed it. The Heavy Metal space semi is a bit "tongue in cheek" as well, and probably not in accord with many peoples "elite" tastes, but I just wanted some quick input, not a long term commitment. };]
I don't think it's even your 'style'.. it's just that the ships you've presented to date have, for the most part, been re-creations of ships from other sci-fi 'worlds', which is always something that will have less appeal to those who like their Ooniverse to conform to the Elite look and feel. (which does not necessarily always have to mean triangles, either.. :wink:)
Paradox wrote:
I do have some more serious stuff in the works like my Wraith:

Anyways, sorry for the rant Diziet Sma, I think you have responded to almost every post I have made, at least in some way. };]
Ooh.. I like the look of that! 8) Do the cabin windows change colour according to alert level, as many of Griff's ships do? So far as the rant goes, no problem.. everyone has to rant a little now and then, and yours was pretty mild, as such things go.. :)

Ok.. now to the preliminary report on "Heavy Metal"..

Overall, I like it a lot. The roll rate seems about right, but perhaps the pitch could be dropped a little.. maybe down to 0.3. It just kinda feels a little too responsive, compared to the roll rate. The external views are well placed, particularly for showing off the ship, but some of them might benefit from being set a little further away, so as to be able to see what is going on in the vicinity. At the moment the ship itself more or less totally fills the view.

I don't know if it could be done via scripting, so as to limit the effect to just the one ship, but if it was possible, I'd love it if this ship came with its own set of engine sounds.. something deep and rumbling, like a proper semi.. 8)

Price-wise, I suspect some here might say it's under-priced, but I like it.. it makes for a nice inexpensive entry-level freighter, which is something the Ooniverse lacks. In a lot of ways, it's roughly comparable to a Python, but considering the price, performance and other specs in comparison, I feel the cargo capacity might be rounded down some, to say 80TC, perhaps.. alternatively, maybe up the price to somewhere in the 200,000 - 300,000 range. At the moment, it's a lot of ship for not much money.

All of which is entirely up to you, of course.. she's your ship, and you should feel free to spec her however you like.. I'm merely speaking in terms of the ship-balancing that most ship designers try to work by. However, there are plenty of other ships which don't adhere to "standard" balancing guidelines, so if you keep it as-is, you're in good company.. :wink:

I must admit that not having to bother matching rotation while docking was a sensation that felt a little weird at first, but at the same time, is kinda fun! Now all it needs is a nice loud set of air-horns! :twisted:
Thermonuklear
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Thermonuklear »

I'll give the space truck a try once I get home from Ēostre festivities... Reminds me of an old ZX Spectrum game, actually.
[ELITE: Station Run]
Selezen's excellent boardgame needs playtesters!
---
My youtube channel: Oolite, old games and underground metal music!