Griff vs. Triangles

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Griff vs. Triangles

Post by ZygoUgo »

Discussion split from Screenshots. – Ahruman

Hello just sticking my nose in here, really should be in bed :D
I wanted to ask a favour as I can't currently get Oolite run on my machine due to the sound being knackered, would someone be kind enough to post a few different angles of the cobra courier and I'll have a go at the Mutabilis cover, not sure if I'd get something worthy done in time but I want an excuse to use my graphics tablet again.
Am just reading through it to get some images in my head..

I have to say if there was to be a 'dream team' I prefer Ramon's re-make of the Anaconda to Griff's Boa (Don't take offense Griff I'll state my reasoning :wink: ) as it comes across much stronger as an industrial trade vessel. Griff's Boa to me looks like a military transport for moving troops and vehicles around. If I could have my way I'd get get Ramon to rebuild all undustrial vessels and Griff to do everything military, just for conversations sake :)
Out of further interest where can I see Selezen's remakes? (was there anyone else mentioned for the 'dream team', I like gawping at other peoples talent? :D)

EDIT: Half asleep numpty, there's enough angles on the other book cover entry's for me to make one up :oops:
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=3295

That's the Dream Team thread - there are a few missing images since I had to restructure my web site, but the main images that you need are there. The missing ones are either test renders or screenshots.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

ZygoUgo wrote:
I have to say if there was to be a 'dream team' I prefer Ramon's re-make of the Anaconda to Griff's Boa (Don't take offense Griff I'll state my reasoning :wink: ) as it comes across much stronger as an industrial trade vessel.
Yes I agree. The ship is awesome but not a valid replacement for the Boa. On the other hand it would more suitable as a replacement for the python class cruiser
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I don't know, actually - the ship retains the overall shape of the Boa but makes it look MUCH more realistic...

Certainly keeps the shape far more than the Griff Krait!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I'm more with Ark here. I wouldn't recognize the Griff Boa as a Boa at all without knowing its name. It just is something different altogether.

The main Boa-feature for me is its pointedness. I don't see that in Griff's model.

Which of course doesn't disqualify Griff's ship. I just think that forcing these radical new designs into the old snake-scheme is somewhat troublesome and altogether unnecessary.

I have a lot of sympathy for Hesperus' idea that in the Ooniverse the snake-class ships are slowly replaced by a new type of ships. The challenge is of course to make them similarly consistent as a class as the snake-class ships (more or less) are.

And we would of course have to find a new class-nomer for them, which won't be easy, because there are already names from a lot of different animal classes for existing ships in the game. Aquatics (and others as well) for instance has ventured into the marine realms, Charlie has explored the avian kingdom. Where else could we go (it has to be something people would name spaceships after, of course)? Mammal predators would be a possibility. Sure, 'Tiger' is chosen (and Wolf), but not much else. And the Tiger could be interpreted as an early concept study for a new class of ships. Therefore it can be different to what the final class-members turned out to be. Whereas he Wolf is just an earlier ship that happens to have a mammal predator name.

Just my 0.2 credits worth of thought.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I don't have a problem at all with renaming the griff_boa & griff_kraits, i totally understand the point that they no longer look like the ships they're named after - i can't resist bunging a load of extra boxes and pipes all over a ship design! lord knows what i'm going to be like when the oolite normal mapping technology gets released :wink: every ship i make will probably look like a pine cone or something
Last edited by Griff on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
And we would of course have to find a new class-nomer for them, which won't be easy, because there are already names from a lot of different animal classes for existing ships in the game. Aquatics (and others as well) for instance has ventured into the marine realms, Charlie has explored the avian kingdom. Where else could we go
Archaea.
Commander McLane wrote:
(it has to be something people would name spaceships after, of course)?
*whistles innocently*
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Nomers

Post by Alex »

There are a lot of kind and very nasty insects out there. Bit of useless info, did you know that you are never more than 6 foot from an insect!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I notice there's a sub-phylum of archaea called chlamydiae.

Who would want to fly THAT class of ship? Fuel would be dribbling out everywhere! Irritating.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Nomers

Post by JensAyton »

Alex wrote:
There are a lot of kind and very nasty insects out there. Bit of useless info, did you know that you are never more than 6 foot from an insect!
What if I’m camping near Станция Восток? It’s hard to run a decent ecology in a place where the carbon dioxide snows out. :-)

Still, I’m sure someone could design a wicked fighter called Anopholes. In fact
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Nomers

Post by Commander McLane »

Ahruman wrote:
Alex wrote:
What if I’m camping near Станция Восток? It’s hard to run a decent ecology in a place where the carbon dioxide snows out. :-)
Well, yes. But I'm pretty sure that anywhere else the next insect is no farther away than a couple of inches, at the most. Make that a couple of micrometers, if you count all the mite that populate your own body (which happens to have a very decent ecology). :wink:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

But mites aren’t insects.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

I'm taking a leap into mythology myself, lots of good names with plenty of gravitas.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Of course, a ship-class doesn't have to be named after any sort of animal. There are other themes, like types of sword, or types of sailing ship, or names of winds...
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

But mites aren’t insects.
When you pull them two legs they become insects (or don't they :?: )
Bit of useless info, did you know that you are never more than 6 foot from an insect!
I made several trips in Ogof Draenen and I don't remember seeing much bugs down there.

That would even give a nice class of ships: welsh town names. Probably for a fleet of aliens as normal people can't pronounce those names:

It spells: Cwm Dwr, but it reads Cum Dur, or Lla reads as Gla.