Understand 'Sudden Death'

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Understand 'Sudden Death'

Post by hiran »

While I am fighting targoids I am sniping them from a distance of roghly 20 km using the Vimana Beam.
My ship is not damaged, not even shields are impacted.

Then all of a sudden there is a whomp and I see the ship from outside with a glowing hull. The text showing up is there way too short for me to read, then I respawn inside the station. This happened a second time today so I am wondering what might have happened.

Since you guys were not there and have even less a clue, I grabbed a few lines from Latest.log:

Code: Select all

01:02:16.939 [LogEvents]: Wreckage 9723 spawned at 1 km
01:02:17.073 [LogEvents]: Wreckage 19231 spawned at 1 km
01:02:17.073 [LogEvents]: Wreckage 26503 spawned at 1 km
01:02:17.233 [LogEvents]: Wreckage 7954 spawned at 1 km
01:02:17.366 [LogEvents]: Wreckage 29667 spawned at 1 km
01:02:17.367 [LogEvents]: Wreckage 23463 spawned at 1 km
01:02:17.367 [LogEvents]: Wreckage 13821 spawned at 1 km
01:02:17.367 [LogEvents]: Wreckage 26825 spawned at 1 km
01:02:17.367 [LogEvents]: Wreckage 390 spawned at 1 km
01:02:17.367 [LogEvents]: Wreckage 6594 spawned at 1 km
01:02:17.487 [LogEvents]: Wreckage 27428 spawned at 1 km
01:02:17.740 [LogEvents]: Wreckage 26615 spawned at 1 km
01:02:17.740 [LogEvents]: Wreckage 16104 spawned at 1 km
01:02:17.948 [LogEvents]: ship lost EQ_TARGETSELECTOR_MODECHANGER
01:02:17.950 [LogEvents]: docked to Coriolis Station 22894
Does that contain the reason? The ship was lost because of the target selector? Or did the target selector loose the target because my whole ship was destroyed?

Something is up in Ooniverse, and it may come for you too!
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Re: Understand 'Sudden Death'

Post by Griff »

Seeing your ship from outside and the being auto docked sounds like the sequence that plays out when you use your escape capsule? the ship glowing also sounds like it's critically hot, have you got any expansions that auto eject you when the ship explodes and one that plays with the ship temperature? It's usually just getting too close to the star for too long or fuel injecting through a planet atmosphere that heats the ship enough for it to explode in the base game i think?
Last edited by Griff on Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Griff wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:40 pm
Seeing your ship from outside and the being auto docked sounds like the sequence that plays out when you use your escape capsule? the ship glowing also sounds like it's critically hot, have you got any expansions that auto eject you when the ship explodes and one that plays with the ship temperature? It's usually just getting too close to the star for too long ot fuel injecting through a planet atmosphere that heat the hsip enough fo it to explode in the base game i think?
Yes, I have the Auto-Eject equipment installed.
And yes, I agree a red glowing hull would indicate temperature.
But while fighting the thargoids I am facing space beyond the witchspace beacon, looking from the planet side. It's usually far off the sun so I do not think that was the reason.

Somehow I could imagine I hit into something, or something hit into me. A collision with a rocket (although there was no such warning and I do have Auto-ECM as well). I know life is not fair and maybe you do not get warned on sudden death, let alone an explanation for the afterlife.
Still I want to know what/why lead to this situation so I can prevent it next time.

Well, actually it is not the afterlife. I just need to know why my auto-eject system ejected me.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Your ship badly overheating may trigger Auto-Eject...why it's badly overheating may be due to another OXP/OXZ.

Maybe try adding extra logging in Auto-Eject as to the cause of why it ejected you?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Switeck wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:38 pm
Your ship badly overheating may trigger Auto-Eject...why it's badly overheating may be due to another OXP/OXZ.

Maybe try adding extra logging in Auto-Eject as to the cause of why it ejected you?
Now you made me think. Often I shoot the Vimana Beam often enough the system shuts down due to overheating.
But since it shuts down I never thought whether that could have additional impact.

Yes, adding logging or a message showing up in the escape pod will definitely help.
So for a first time I need to look into some OXZ and try to modify something. Auto-Eject is an OXZ authored by Commander McLane.

OoliteStarter v0.1.18-cheese.1 will more easily allow to detect the download URL for a given OXZ. This way I identified the OXP to come from http://wiki.alioth.net/img_auth.php/4/4 ... ct_1.2.oxz.

It contains a nice readme with this content:
Foole's Systems™ proudly presents the Auto Eject Module. This small upgrade to your escape pod constantly monitors your remaining energy. Should the energy level fall under the adjustable critical threshold it automatically launches your escape capsule, and you begin your journey to the nearest station or planet.
and further
The Foole's Systems™ Auto Eject Module is fully adjustable in-flight via the primeable equipment control. Once you have selected the item (default SHIFT-N) you can switch it on or off via pressing N. And you can adjust the threshold at which the module is activated via pressing B. Three options are at your disposal: the MEDIUM setting, which is also the default, sets the module to activate when one third of your last energy bank is left. In HIGH setting the module is activated already when a little more than half of your last energy bank is left. The LOW setting allows your energy to sink to less than one sixth of the last bank before you're ejected. The LOW setting carries the risk that the mechanism triggers too late, which may result in pilot existence failure. At HIGH setting you should be safe from this, but at the opposite risk of triggering too early and losing your cargo. Foole's Systems™ accepts no liability for the possible consequences of your preferred setting.
So I might want to check that setting and my energy level. Plus maybe some modification of the code to print a message when taking a decision.
It will take the steps
- unpack OXZ and place as OXP in AddOns folder
- modify scripts until I have desired messages
- modify manifest.plist (also remove Index.plist and requires.plist)
- add information url https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Auto_eject_OXP
- add new author
- increase version number
- update readme.rtf
- pack it back into OXZ format
- improve Wiki page https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Auto_eject_OXP (we have an OXZ)

But then the question is: How do I upload/publish the OXP so it superseeds the existing expansion?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Umm, I found this in the world-script. Basically it means there are console messages already.
Are these just shown in the game or also logged in Latest.log? Maybe that is exactly the message I missed as it disappeared too fast...

this.shipTakingDamage = function()
{
	if( Math.min(player.ship.forwardShield, player.ship.aftShield) + player.ship.energy < this.energyThreshold
		&& this.autoEjectOn == 1)
	{
		if(player.ship.equipmentStatus("EQ_ESCAPE_POD") === "EQUIPMENT_OK" && player.ship.equipmentStatus("EQ_AUTO_EJECT") === "EQUIPMENT_OK")
		{
			player.consoleMessage("WARNING! Energy critically low! Auto Eject module activated.", 6);
			player.ship.abandonShip();
		}
		if(player.ship.equipmentStatus("EQ_ESCAPE_POD") === "EQUIPMENT_DAMAGED")
		{
			player.consoleMessage("WARNING! Energy critically low! Escape capsule off-line!", 6);
		}
		if(player.ship.equipmentStatus("EQ_AUTO_EJECT") === "EQUIPMENT_DAMAGED")
		{
			player.consoleMessage("WARNING! Energy critically low! Auto Eject module off-line!", 6);
		}
	}
}
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

The one OXP which does play with ship temperature is Phkb's Ship Configuration (see all the Heat Sink gubbins below - and he even included the controls in his Vimana-X HUD).
Cabin Temperature and Heat Sinks

A number of different activities and events will now impact on cabin temperature. These are:

Use of your hyperdrive
Laser temperature
Use of fuel injectors
Use of cloaking device
Laser hits on an unshielded hull
Running your ship with an overloaded electrical bus

Each of these things on their own probably won't cook your ship, but if you combine two or three of them at the same time you can expect to see your cabin temperature reach dangerous levels quickly.

Therefore care must be taken to (a) select appropriate lasers, engines and thrusters for the roles you want to perform, and (b) be careful how you use your lasers, fuel injectors and the cloaking device to avoid overheating your cabin and potentially causing catastrophic damage to your ship.

Note: Entering hyperspace with high levels of heat increases your chance of having a misjump.

To help with controlling cabin temperature, heat sinks can be purchased at all tech level 2 systems and above. You can purchase several heat sinks, but each one takes up 1t of cargo space, and adds 2t of weight.

To deploy a heat sink, first prime the "Heat Sink Control" item by using the Shift-N key sequence, then press "N" to activate it. Up to approximately 25% of your cabin temperature can be jettisoned in this way, dependant on the size of your ship. For larger ships this value will be closer to 10%.

You can also set the heat sink control to automatically deploy heat sinks whenever your cabin temperature reaches 75% of maximum. To do this, prime the "Heat Sink Control" and then select "B" to change the mode from "Manual control" to "Automatic control".

Heat sinks can be damaged, and cannot be used when in a damaged state.

Heat Shields also help with cabin heat. Higher levels of heat shield will slow the rate at which cabin temperature builds up.
Heat Sink Availability

Techlevel: 2
Price: 30 cr.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:15 pm
Umm, I found this in the world-script. Basically it means there are console messages already.
Are these just shown in the game or also logged in Latest.log? Maybe that is exactly the message I missed as it disappeared too fast...

this.shipTakingDamage = function()
{
	if( Math.min(player.ship.forwardShield, player.ship.aftShield) + player.ship.energy < this.energyThreshold
		&& this.autoEjectOn == 1)
	{
		if(player.ship.equipmentStatus("EQ_ESCAPE_POD") === "EQUIPMENT_OK" && player.ship.equipmentStatus("EQ_AUTO_EJECT") === "EQUIPMENT_OK")
		{
			player.consoleMessage("WARNING! Energy critically low! Auto Eject module activated.", 6);
			player.ship.abandonShip();
		}
		if(player.ship.equipmentStatus("EQ_ESCAPE_POD") === "EQUIPMENT_DAMAGED")
		{
			player.consoleMessage("WARNING! Energy critically low! Escape capsule off-line!", 6);
		}
		if(player.ship.equipmentStatus("EQ_AUTO_EJECT") === "EQUIPMENT_DAMAGED")
		{
			player.consoleMessage("WARNING! Energy critically low! Auto Eject module off-line!", 6);
		}
	}
}
ConsoleMessages are only shown on screen, not copied to the log.
The log message about EQ_TARGETSELECTOR_MODECHANGER is because that piece of equipment is automatically removed from your ship when you dock, which is the event that is taking place at the time you describe, just after auto-ejecting.

Ship Repurchase is another OXP that might auto-eject you, pretty much for the same reasons, when your energy is critically low.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:30 pm
The one OXP which does play with ship temperature is Phkb's Ship Configuration (see all the Heat Sink gubbins below - and he even included the controls in his Vimana-X HUD).
phkb wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:47 pm
Ship Repurchase is another OXP that might auto-eject you, pretty much for the same reasons, when your energy is critically low.
Good catch, but neither of these two expansions is part of my set.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Similar issue or different?

I wanted to travel to another star system, which took several jumps. In one of the intermediate star systems I activated the torus to get away from other traffic, then made up my mind and triggered the hyperspace jump. All of a sudden the jump is not happening and I have a damapged police scanner. What did my ship hit?

Here is a snippet from Latest.log, and this time my Nexus oxp is part of it as it simply logs all calls to it's world script without actually doing anything about it.

08:48:38.371 [LogEvents]: started 15 seconds standard jump countdown
08:48:38.371 [Nexus]: playerStartedJumpCountdown(standard, 15)
08:48:48.346 [Nexus]: shipSpawned([Ship "Miner Team Leader" position: (90133.4, -802186, 1.2331e+06) scanClass: CLASS_NEUTRAL status: STATUS_LAUNCHING])
08:48:51.142 [Nexus]: shipSpawned([Ship "Missile" position: (56938.9, -138578, 141800) scanClass: CLASS_MISSILE status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT])
08:48:53.241 [Nexus]: shipSpawned([Ship "Missile" position: (56421.3, -138437, 141467) scanClass: CLASS_MISSILE status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT])
08:48:53.362 [LogEvents]: ship lost EQ_POLICE_SCANNER_UPGRADE
08:48:53.362 [Nexus]: equipmentRemoved(EQ_POLICE_SCANNER_UPGRADE)
08:48:53.363 [LogEvents]: ship got EQ_POLICE_SCANNER_UPGRADE_DAMAGED
08:48:53.363 [Nexus]: equipmentAdded(EQ_POLICE_SCANNER_UPGRADE_DAMAGED)
08:48:53.417 [Repair System]: Equipment EQ_POLICE_SCANNER_UPGRADE damaged, putting in list for eventual repair
08:48:53.419 [LogEvents]: EQ_POLICE_SCANNER_UPGRADE damaged
08:48:53.419 [Nexus]: equipmentDamaged(EQ_POLICE_SCANNER_UPGRADE)
08:48:53.493 [LogEvents]: jump failed due to malfunction
08:48:53.493 [Nexus]: playerJumpFailed(malfunction)
08:48:53.868 [Repair System]: Repair system activated, repair time 198
Whoo! I see messages about a missile! Did that one hit me?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:57 am
Similar issue or different?

I wanted to travel to another star system, which took several jumps. In one of the intermediate star systems I activated the torus to get away from other traffic, then made up my mind and triggered the hyperspace jump. All of a sudden the jump is not happening and I have a damapged police scanner. What did my ship hit?

Here is a snippet from Latest.log, and this time my Nexus oxp is part of it as it simply logs all calls to it's world script without actually doing anything about it.

08:48:38.371 [LogEvents]: started 15 seconds standard jump countdown
08:48:38.371 [Nexus]: playerStartedJumpCountdown(standard, 15)
08:48:48.346 [Nexus]: shipSpawned([Ship "Miner Team Leader" position: (90133.4, -802186, 1.2331e+06) scanClass: CLASS_NEUTRAL status: STATUS_LAUNCHING])
08:48:51.142 [Nexus]: shipSpawned([Ship "Missile" position: (56938.9, -138578, 141800) scanClass: CLASS_MISSILE status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT])
08:48:53.241 [Nexus]: shipSpawned([Ship "Missile" position: (56421.3, -138437, 141467) scanClass: CLASS_MISSILE status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT])
08:48:53.362 [LogEvents]: ship lost EQ_POLICE_SCANNER_UPGRADE
08:48:53.362 [Nexus]: equipmentRemoved(EQ_POLICE_SCANNER_UPGRADE)
08:48:53.363 [LogEvents]: ship got EQ_POLICE_SCANNER_UPGRADE_DAMAGED
08:48:53.363 [Nexus]: equipmentAdded(EQ_POLICE_SCANNER_UPGRADE_DAMAGED)
08:48:53.417 [Repair System]: Equipment EQ_POLICE_SCANNER_UPGRADE damaged, putting in list for eventual repair
08:48:53.419 [LogEvents]: EQ_POLICE_SCANNER_UPGRADE damaged
08:48:53.419 [Nexus]: equipmentDamaged(EQ_POLICE_SCANNER_UPGRADE)
08:48:53.493 [LogEvents]: jump failed due to malfunction
08:48:53.493 [Nexus]: playerJumpFailed(malfunction)
08:48:53.868 [Repair System]: Repair system activated, repair time 198
Whoo! I see messages about a missile! Did that one hit me?
This has twice happened to me in the past week. An occasional malfunction. It is when my maintenance level is lowish (c.90% or less).
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Maybe I am getting closer to the root cause.
This time, while I was fighting a thargoid, something flashed up eventually - looked like a thargoid robot extremely close to my ship. Since it flashed up twice only I did not see it right and should have taken evasive action. Instead I focused on the thargoid. Then I was out of my ship.

20:39:39.246 [LogEvents]: attacked by Thargoid Robot Fighter 22695 256+242 shield and 550 energy left
20:39:39.306 [LogEvents]: got message from lost target : WARNING! Energy critically low! Auto Eject module activated.
20:39:39.372 [LogEvents]: ship lost EQ_ESCAPE_POD
20:39:39.374 [LogEvents]: launched Escape Pod
20:39:39.437 [LogEvents]: taking 19928560 energy damage from Thargoid Cruiser 14077 NaN+NaN shield and NaN energy left
Is this how it looks like when you crash into another ship?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:07 pm
This time, while I was fighting a thargoid, something flashed up eventually - looked like a thargoid robot extremely close to my ship. Since it flashed up twice only I did not see it right and should have taken evasive action. Instead I focused on the thargoid. Then I was out of my ship.

20:39:39.246 [LogEvents]: attacked by Thargoid Robot Fighter 22695 256+242 shield and 550 energy left
20:39:39.306 [LogEvents]: got message from lost target : WARNING! Energy critically low! Auto Eject module activated.
20:39:39.437 [LogEvents]: taking 19928560 energy damage from Thargoid Cruiser 14077 NaN+NaN shield and NaN energy left
taking 19,928,560 energy damage from Thargoid Cruiser 14077 NaN+NaN shield and NaN energy left

That Thargoid Cruiser took a severe dislike to you.

What on earth did you say to it?

You are obviously not using the Broadcast Comms - Digebiti Variations OXP, which utilises the appropriate honorifics and terms of address.

You have only yourself to blame....
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:32 pm
hiran wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:07 pm

taking 19,928,560 energy damage from Thargoid Cruiser 14077 NaN+NaN shield and NaN energy left

That Thargoid Cruiser took a severe dislike to you.

What on earth did you say to it?
The dislike must have been mutual. Neither of us communicated, and they started the fire first...
But if you think that damage was harsh - I have had it worse:

taking 3312615424 scrape damage from Rock Hermit 13569 0+384 shield and -3312607488 energy left

Wow, Oolite does distinguish taking energy damage and scrape damage!
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=275032#p275032
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

I think I am getting annoyed a bit now.
Again, while shooting Thargoids in a perfectly functional ship I suddenly find myself out in space.
Again I do not understand what actually happened.

I am taking minimal damage from a Thargoig Battleship and it's robot.
And while shooting the Battleship several times, all of a sudden the auto eject module activates.

What is taking so much of energy in the fraction of a second?

08:45:06.474 [LogEvents]: attacked by Thargoid Robot Fighter 19657 255+256 shield and 550 energy left
08:45:06.532 [LogEvents]: got message from lost target : WARNING! Energy critically low! Auto Eject module activated.
This time I wanted to include the full log but it is too long. Hence a few snippets of the JavaScript errors I see in there...

08:45:06.474 [oxp-standards.deprecated]: dealEnergyDamageWithinDesiredRange is deprecated for <ShipEntity 0x55944a814570>{"Thargoid Robot Fighter" position: (12504.1, -31036, 6.52784) scanClass: CLASS_THARGOID status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT}
08:45:09.040 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (safetycatch 1.3): TypeError: m is undefined
08:45:09.040 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       /home/hiran/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/[email protected]/Scripts/safetycatch.js, line 94.
08:45:12.424 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (<unidentified script>): TypeError: p.velocity is undefined
08:45:12.424 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       /home/hiran/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/[email protected]/Scripts/VimanaHUD.js, line 1009.
08:45:12.436 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (VimanaAlerts 1.00): TypeError: p.position is undefined
08:45:12.436 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       /home/hiran/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/[email protected]/Scripts/VimanaAlerts.js, line 86.
08:45:12.436 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (VimanaHUD 2.07): TypeError: p.fuel is undefined
08:45:12.436 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       /home/hiran/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/[email protected]/Scripts/VimanaHUD.js, line 473.
08:45:12.943 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (VimanaAlerts 1.00): TypeError: p.position is undefined
08:45:12.943 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       /home/hiran/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/[email protected]/Scripts/VimanaAlerts.js, line 86.
08:45:12.943 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (VimanaHUD 2.07): TypeError: p.fuel is undefined
08:45:12.943 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       /home/hiran/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/[email protected]/Scripts/VimanaHUD.js, line 473.
08:45:12.956 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (useful_MFDs 0.6): TypeError: ship.fuel is undefined
08:45:12.956 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       /home/hiran/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/[email protected]/Config/script.js, line 93.