The (IFF) Scanner

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

The (IFF) Scanner

Post by aegidian »

Y'know a thought just struck me..

Oolite's using OpenGL (an advanced 3d interface) to simulate (crudely) Elite's IFF scanner which is simulating (crudely) an advanced 3d interface.

Duh!

:idea: Why don't I implement a scanner that does what the original simulates? Draw a circle - draw a grid - raise some lollypops over and under it - all in 3d. No more fuss about disproportionate grids or such.

Waddayathink?
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

the IFF scanner in 3D?
frakking fantastic!
The man next to you is your lunch
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

Murgh wrote:
frakking fantastic!
Who mentioned Frak (+ early trumble decendant) :)

I think the 3d scanner will be a winner & most astrogen consoles will be retro fitted in a trice...
Team Zorg are Go!
Cmdr. Wombat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Cmdr. Wombat »

Yes please!
It is generally inadvisable to eject over the target you just bombed.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Woohoo.

I offer 150 clamshells for a 3d scanner ;)
Riding the Rocket!
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

So do you think this should/would be an upgrade? I mean a basic ship like an Adder would have a cra*py B/W LCD 2d astrogen console whilst a FDL would rock the latest holo VirtuaConsole... :?:
Team Zorg are Go!
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

I think it should, as some people will want to stay with the pure scanner.
I remember hating the tactical scanner in FFE. which was a 3d globe, but useless. for me anyhow.
Riding the Rocket!
st3f
Average
Average

Re: The (IFF) Scanner

Post by st3f »

aegidian wrote:
:idea: Why don't I implement a scanner that does what the original simulates? Draw a circle - draw a grid - raise some lollypops over and under it - all in 3d. No more fuss about disproportionate grids or such.

Waddayathink?
:D
Wyrm
Poor
Poor

Post by Wyrm »

Hmm - any cool effect ideas for having the scanner in 3D?

Could rotate the scanner around? (like a water-filled compass... although that would probably be more disorientating). Tilt the scanner to check proper alignment...

Zoom can be more incremental?

Put an icon/text on the lollipop's end? (perfectly in perspective) - Pirate / Friendly / Station?

What you'd want is the ability to mouse-click the lollipops and have it pop up a sub-window with the identified ship model / information in it?

-Wyrm
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

How about a keystroke that makes it slideout from the front of the screen so that I can put my cup of coffee on it.

Seriously though I think the scanner works extremely well as it is particularly with the zoom feature (shift+z would be good enhancement to default back to normal view though)

Wyrm wrote:
What you'd want is the ability to mouse-click the lollipops and have it pop up a sub-window with the identified ship model / information in it?
Could be aproblem when it gets very congested with vessels,cargo and shrapnel etc. An alternative solution for this would be:-

The targetting enhancement is set up so that the details of the target are placed alongside it, if these were placed at a fixed point on the screen, and you could "tab" with the R key through all the objects in scanner range. This feature is on Xelite and is very useful in a major dogfight, to quickly find your "next" foe. Not a cheap upgrade either 5000CR would be about right.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Arexack_Heretic

quickly toggle to next target at a keystroke and display target info onscreen in a corner?
Riding the Rocket!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Voila, check the bottom LHS of screen.

In Xelite keystroke B toggles through all the objects in scanner range

OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I’d like to have some points of reference in the scanner. Just coloured dots indicating arbitrary X, Y and Z directions would do. It’d make it possible to find a direction again.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

The ships and cargo cannisters show on the IFF in the normal way, the live "targeted" object itself has a frame around it on screen the same as in Oolite, the difference is that the detail is fixed bottom LHS and always in view. Toggling through the targets is achieved with the B key. Xelite has a separate "target compass" on the LHS of the IFF, which works the same way as the space compass. Have another look at my previous post in this thread.

I've not mentioned this before but in Oolite the little pointer on the edge of the target crosshairs directing you to the target is brilliant, and really helpful in combat. Toggling through objects just changes which object is the active target and the pointer would always lead you to it.
hoqllnq
Commodore
Commodore

Re: The (IFF) Scanner

Post by hoqllnq »

aegidian wrote:
Draw a circle - draw a grid - raise some lollypops over and under
it - all in 3d. No more fuss about disproportionate grids or such.

Waddayathink?
Could the top of the lollypop be a small (and more simple?)
version of the actual object, pointing in the correct direction?