A new kind of laser

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Re: A new kind of laser

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Svengali wrote:
@Maegil: Heh - so in fact you ARE talking about standalone OXPs (or fractions of OXPs which are only compatible to each other). It's not wrong (as in 'error'), only problematic for other OXPs and all users out there. I only wanted to show that placing global working mechanisms is not a walk in the park and needs a lot of thinking about possible problems and clashes. Often it needs a good knowledge of other OXPs as well. Probably it's just a question of limiters, either engineside restrictions or selfrestriction in OXPs, but in all cases it's worth to think about it before running into trouble.
As I said before, I'm experimenting in new areas. The guidelines I used are:

- thermodynamics: every Joule accumulated on a capacitor (or used by any equipment included in the set) comes from the ship's energy banks.

- scale: an adder has one energy bank, the cobbie has 4, and the boa 2 has 8 - there is a progression of scale. If shielded, an adder would receive 128 to 256 shield cells (2 to 4 banks) but the cobby can have up to to 6 shield banks; therefore how many shield banks should the Boa 2 have? I reckoned that it depends on the predicted usage): to the 2+2+2 shield banks maximum we can now add from 0 to 16 more capacitor banks, up to an useless improbable absolute limit of 24.

- realism (or maybe grittiness): on vanilla, the player in a brand new cobra is 50% stronger than an NPC one; further equipped it can go up to 2.5 times stronger than them. Every so often we find a harder one, but rarely... I intend to make over-than average NPCs appear more often, or even redefine some averages... always aiming at a balance, of course. :wink:

The suite will arm the player, but still make the game generally harder against combat-roled ships (while changing little for the unsuspecting civilian trader masses), so it's not expected to be installed by novices. Pirates will have better equipment, and more often; all police will have shield boosters and capacitors, and extra speed; the military will always have military shields and everything else they can fit, and even some traders may decide to invest in extra security. Thargs must also be upgraded to rebalance them with the navy, serendipitously making them a menace again for the veteran spacer.

Other than this kind of adjustments, these OXPs aren't expected to break missions or other OXPs, but may unbalance them, so extensive testing and tweaking will be required.
(Afterwards I may even feel able to turn my Spartans vapourware into reality)
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

@ Mr. Maegil: You know, a simple thankyou and acknowledgement of the conditions in my last post would have sufficed but now you act as if I'm beneath you or something and won't acknowledge I even exist. Your last post proves you have no intention of following my conditions regarding unique names. You have no respect for neither myself nor this community. Offer is withdrawn. Do it against my permission and let the chips fall where they may, along with the integrity of this community. :(

@ everyone else: If you make oxp's, yours may be next. Think about it.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
@ Mr. Maegil: You know, a simple thankyou and acknowledgement of the conditions in my last post would have sufficed but now you act as if I'm beneath you or something and won't acknowledge I even exist.
I never had any intention of offending, the conflicting key was changed as soon as you mentioned it, I admitted to be usurping your work and finally pledged to cancel the project should you ask me to (though i did beg you not to ask it).

I furthermore offer an apology for having used your OXP.
All my actions were in good faith. A thank you would be in order, and its lack is indeed rudeness of my part; I belatedly offer it now, without even ruder attempts at an excuse.

Finally, from this last post it's obvious you absolutely do not wish me to modify your OXP. For the future I suggest you make this clear and change their license; on my part I'm making good on my pledge and grievingly declaring the project cancelled and abandoned.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
@ Mr. Maegil: You know, a simple thankyou and acknowledgement of the conditions in my last post would have sufficed but now you act as if I'm beneath you or something and won't acknowledge I even exist.
I never had any intention of offending, the conflicting key was changed as soon as you mentioned it, I admitted to be usurping your work and finally pledged to cancel the project should you ask me to (though i did beg you not to ask it).

I furthermore offer an apology for having used your OXP.
All my actions were in good faith. A thank you would be in order, and its lack is indeed rudeness of my part; I belatedly offer it now, without even ruder attempts at an excuse.

Finally, from this last post it's obvious you absolutely do not wish me to modify your OXP. For the future I suggest you make this clear and change their license; on my part I'm making good on my pledge and grievingly declaring the project cancelled and abandoned.
...apology accepted... :(
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
:(
Why :( ? You should be pleased...
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

now that (with 1.77) the weapons of a ship a read/write, can I expect to get a switchable laser soon? :) :?: :roll:
I really like the idea of being able to temporarily power down the laser in order to increase the chance of having my victim eject! :mrgreen:
And sometimes a mining laser would come in handy, since it packs a powerful punch while at the same time the laser cools down - and I wouldn't have to sacrifice a laser slot to be able to mine :P
忍 knowing that enough is enough, you'll always have enough.

Running Oolite 1.77 on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS
maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by maaarcooose »

I'm sure I talked about this in another thread but I think the best modification for the lasers would be different firing modes. Standard, semi-auto mode (fires a quarter second burst for each pull of the trigger), r-type style charge up and release.

!m!
Trading computers and writing stuff....
OOliteInfo: http://www.theramist.co.uk/ooliteinfo/oo.php
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

maaarcooose wrote:
I'm sure I talked about this in another thread but I think the best modification for the lasers would be different firing modes. Standard, semi-auto mode (fires a quarter second burst for each pull of the trigger), r-type style charge up and release.

!m!
Cool ideas!!! :shock: I really like them! Especially the R-Type-Style charge... Yeah!!! The only drawback is that it sounds like more work than simply replacing the weapon... :? But as long as I don't have to do it - who cares!! :lol:

Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

GGShinobi wrote:
now that (with 1.77) the weapons of a ship a read/write, can I expect to get a switchable laser soon? :) :?: :roll:
I really like the idea of being able to temporarily power down the laser in order to increase the chance of having my victim eject! :mrgreen:
And sometimes a mining laser would come in handy, since it packs a powerful punch while at the same time the laser cools down - and I wouldn't have to sacrifice a laser slot to be able to mine :P
What I'd like to see is weapons retracting into the ship when made safe and vice-versa. Should be do-able with some fancy frame callback routine. :wink:
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

Tricky wrote:
GGShinobi wrote:
What I'd like to see is weapons retracting into the ship when made safe and vice-versa. Should be do-able with some fancy frame callback routine. :wink:
Yeah, cool idea!! :o