Which ships is the best for bounty hunting?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Which ships is the best for bounty hunting?

Post by Fatleaf »

Alex wrote:
Err, mmm, You can't actually 'learn' to enjoy something. you do or don't.
I would disagree with you there. I will give you an example from my RLTM. The first time I ever ate Lychee's I hated them and only ate them out of politeness to my friends parents (who thought I really liked them since I would finish the bowl in record time) and would just swallow them whole to get it over and done with. But with the constant servings I now can't get enough of them. I find them absolutely delicious. The point is that something can be learned to enjoy. That would include reading. And not just to enjoy but really like.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Hi-jack! Note on writing up OXPs

Post by Cholmondely »

An interesting thought on the role of oxps. See red section.
ClymAngus wrote: Tue May 24, 2011 9:20 am
I feel that this is the joy of the game however, there is no one way to play. It is natural for people to find worth in their own uniquely crafted gaming experience. The projection of that perfectly acceptable personal situation however is generally difficult to justify.

See it as a natural extension of the resistance against PvP. Just as we are not forced to play against other humans (and enter into all the negativity that it brings) so too oxp's we find errant are not forced into our game world.

The bottom line is we must trust people to craft and recraft their ooniverse experience as they see fit. Sure if someone says "it's too easy" suggestions can of course be made (as suggestions and nothing more). The more difficult pill to swallow is realising that their solutions are neither better or worse than any other, merely different.

In the same vein any oxp (which isn't a trojan) is a good oxp, because it reinforces and expands the tenement of choice. Anything but everything. Happy are they that come to this table, for a cornucopia of possibilities await them.
Smivs wrote:
It is ridiculous that these things don't draw any power. They should, and lots of it, which would both make them acceptable in some ways, but also pointless as a small ship (and all player ships are 'small') simple couldn't power them.
This isn't the real issue though is it?
Smivs wrote:
I just worry sometimes that some people come to this game, Uber everything up to the eyeballs and never learn how to really enjoy it.
You have to trust people to find their own enjoyment. People get pleasure out of lots of different things (only some of them I understand, the odd one I outright don't).
I applaud the game balance metre used on the wiki. I would like to see that rolled out and assessed for all oxps. Simply because people can better gauge the game they wish to play. I would like to see this go further with a paragraph on each oxp on how it effects game play specifically. Inform, but do not limit.

I would say however "never learn how to really enjoy it." is a fairly limiting statement and a surprising one. It is possible some people find little to no merit in the way you or I enjoy oolite. By making it as many things to as many people as possible; we enable more people to explore and adapt how they personally engage with it.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?