[WIP] CargoScanner.OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] CargoScanner.OXP

Post by Okti »

maik wrote:
Okti wrote:
PS Thanks for all the work you have done to add my OXP's to the wiki OXP list Maik. Sorry to cause you more work :shock:
:D
Adding new OXPs is the kind of work I like best, thanks for your effort!
Thanks again Maik.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

El Viejo wrote:
Okti wrote:
Galcop already has this technology to scan if you are carrying illegal items
Not necessarily... that's probably just the station market systems feeding them the info.
I've often wondered about this. If you scoop a pod of say narcotics, dock and take off again, they know. How? That pod has been sitting in your hold undisturbed the whole time you've been docked. Someone would actually have to enter your ship and individually check each cargo pod's contents for them to have that information.
Much more logical (and believable) that they have some sort of scanner that checks your ship as you're about to launch.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

As soon as you’ve docked, your cargo is displayed on F8, therefore it is known to the station market system.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

:o :roll: :oops:
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

El Viejo wrote:
As soon as you’ve docked, your cargo is displayed on F8, therefore it is known to the station market system.
Yes, but why? If you don't feed the information about the contents of the scooped pod into your manifest then how is it known? And if you don't intend to sell it at that station, why would you?
Cody

Post by Cody »

<chuckles>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

<Waves hands>
All cargo pods have an RFID chip, and all ships by Law must have a Reader, which logs cargo pods in and out of the ship. This information is then made freely available to the Player (F8), the station markets (their equivalent of F8) and the Station Police.
<puts hands back in pocket>
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Smivs wrote:
<Waves hands>
All cargo pods have an RFID chip, and all ships by Law must have a Reader, which logs cargo pods in and out of the ship. This information is then made freely available to the Player (F8), the station markets (their equivalent of F8) and the Station Police.
Great! That also explains how Okti's OXP works. It actually is a long range RFID scanner. ;-)

Doesn't explain though why the pods from Pods.oxp cannot be scanned...
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

maik wrote:
Smivs wrote:
<Waves hands>
Great! That also explains how Okti's OXP works. It actually is a long range RFID scanner. ;-)

Doesn't explain though why the pods from Pods.oxp cannot be scanned...
That is my respect to the other OXP writers. I would prefer to change something in the core game but not something from other OXP's unless I provide a mechanism for suspending my OXP. :shock:
My OXP's
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

maik wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Yes, but why? If you don't feed the information about the contents of the scooped pod into your manifest then how is it known? And if you don't intend to sell it at that station, why would you?
In fact all your cargo is unloaded as soon as you dock. This is part of the normal docking protocol, during which your cargo bay is routinely emptied and checked for infestations of space viruses which could be harmful for the station.

This is also why your scooped escape pods are unloaded automatically before anything else happens, whether you want it or not. Actually, the escape pod handling is another reason why your cargo cannot remain on your ship while you're docked. The Space Farers' Guild gets furious just from the mere idea that a scooped escape pod could be withheld from the port authorities in an attempt to enslave the pilot. And the one thing GalCop does not want is a furious Space Farers' Guild and a trader strike. Therefore the docking protocol is very strict in this regard.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

One should save all these explanations of how the Ooniverse works. Enycloopedia Galactica someone?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

But half of them are contradictory!
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Work for the editor to sort this out...
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Commander McLane wrote:
This is also why your scooped escape pods are unloaded automatically before anything else happens, whether you want it or not. Actually, the escape pod handling is another reason why your cargo cannot remain on your ship while you're docked. The Space Farers' Guild gets furious just from the mere idea that a scooped escape pod could be withheld from the port authorities in an attempt to enslave the pilot.
I wish that were true...I'm often caught leaving the station with a ton of "slaves" thanks to an escape pod that lacked a named pilot. I just normally assume the escape pods were taken care of automatically...and when they aren't I sometimes end up an offender or fugitive because I forget to double-check.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Smivs wrote:
But half of them are contradictory!
That proves my point I made in the earlier threads, about leaving the descision and the story behind to the player. Since it is an OXP, the player is free to install it or not.

At the end of the day every player has his idea of the oouniverse and it is not same for the other players. But oolite gives a chance to customize our own. I don't think that should be called as immersion breaker as well.
My OXP's