Railgun.oxp v 1.3 now available

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Grey Area
Competent
Competent

Re: Railgun.oxp now available

Post by Grey Area »

I tried to download it, but the Wiki seems to be down..... :(
I said, I've got a big stick....
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Grey Area wrote:
I tried to download it, but the Wiki seems to be down..... :(
Yes it is confirmed wiki is down.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Grey Area
Competent
Competent

Post by Grey Area »

Okti wrote:
Yes it is confirmed wiki is down.
It must have taken a direct hit from the railgun...... 8)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

As long as the Wiki is down, here's a direct download link: http://www.box.net/shared/i0yg6mpomf
Grey Area
Competent
Competent

Post by Grey Area »

Nice one, Commander. :D
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
The other problem will be bounties of alien ships won't be awarded correctly iirc, but that's an old chestnut that I also know no better way to solve.
I didn't think about that and haven't tested it. You're right, it's an old chestnut, and the problem is of course that the engine doesn't award the bounties correctly.
The inconvenience with thargoids is fixed in 1.74 when I am right. Internally differentiates oolite between bounty and legal_status. They are always the same, except for thargoids and boulders. For boulders the legal_status is always zero and for thargoids its a function of its size. (legal_status is used in the AI command: scanForOffenders.)

Before 1.74 the JS script transferred the legal_status instead of bounty when asking for bounty. That gave a discrepancy between the read bounty and the awarded bounty. For boulders there is still a problem, but easy fixable by dividing by 10 as McLane already does.
Last edited by Eric Walch on Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

One other thing that I was considering for this kind of weapon is to make multiple ones available for the different views. Now that we can differentiate by script which view is in use, that would be quite easily scriptable. At the moment the gun only fires forwards, which is probably a bit of a limitation that doesn't really need to be there.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thargoid wrote:
One other thing that I was considering for this kind of weapon is to make multiple ones available for the different views. Now that we can differentiate by script which view is in use, that would be quite easily scriptable. At the moment the gun only fires forwards, which is probably a bit of a limitation that doesn't really need to be there.
True, only the spawning position and orientation would have to change.

There's the question, though, of how it would work in-Ooniverse. Are you thinking about one gun, conveniently firing in whatever direction you're looking at? That isn't how a railgun is supposed to work. Or are you thinking about mounting multiple railguns for the different directions?
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Just to say I like this a lot - an ideal way to keep the enemies on their toes when the mil laser is cooling. :)
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Commander McLane wrote:
There's the question, though, of how it would work in-Ooniverse. Are you thinking about one gun, conveniently firing in whatever direction you're looking at? That isn't how a railgun is supposed to work. Or are you thinking about mounting multiple railguns for the different directions?
I was going to do it with multiple guns, which can be installed and removed separately (but all using a common ammo pool). But it's your OXP, so your choice...

It may also be worth adding in a safety check to stop firing if ships energy is dangerously low?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I believe I was seeing exiting hyperspace "rings" around this new railgun OXP when firing it in interstellar space. (obviously near 0,0,0) It was so distracting I couldn't even tell how often I was hitting Thargoids from <4 km out.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Switeck wrote:
I believe I was seeing exiting hyperspace "rings" around this new railgun OXP when firing it in interstellar space.
Confirmed:

Image Image

This wasn't apparent in the first version of the OXP.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

El Viejo wrote:
This wasn't apparent in the first version of the OXP.
Hypothesis: try it near the witchpoint.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Yep... same thing at the witchpoint.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thargoid wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
I was going to do it with multiple guns, which can be installed and removed separately (but all using a common ammo pool).
In this case it would come in really handy if there was a JS-way of doing multiple installations, just like for lasers. You choose the equipment first, and then the mount direction. Another post-MSNR request, I guess.

Using the same ammo pool would imply that you can't mount different guns in different views, though. After all they use different ammo. It would be either small, medium or heavy everywhere.
Thargoid wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
It may also be worth adding in a safety check to stop firing if ships energy is dangerously low?[/color]
I'd like to have more opinions on that. Should the gun stop working automatically if you're down to let's say one energy bank? Or is it the user's responsibility to monitor its energy consumption himself; and if you're too trigger-happy, you die? :twisted: