Show and Tell (new ships/ ships in progress)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Show and Tell (new ships/ ships in progress)

Post by RyanHoots »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
RyanHoots wrote:
It's a police ship.
It does look like one... in fact, it looks quite a lot like the Viper.
The idea was to make it look intimidating to Pirates. The wedge shape seemed good enough. :) Also, the little "wings" add stability (it doesn't matter in the game, but it looks cool).
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

The Carrier 'Canopus'

Will be carrying 20 Skorpion Fighters. Don't even think about attacking her!
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

That's a nice looking ship, Okti. :)
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

20 fighters? Veeery nice - what else will it be in its armament? I'd expect a hedgehog of turrets, and at least a good dozen of missiles.

The model looks aggressively like an oversized fighter, boasting not its size as much as its might. If there's anything to point out, it'd be the fins on the shoulders.

You know, I think I wouldn't mind changing my Terrapin for one of these beasties!
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
20 fighters? Veeery nice - what else will it be in its armament? I'd expect a hedgehog of turrets, and at least a good dozen of missiles.

The model looks aggressively like an oversized fighter, boasting not its size as much as its might. If there's anything to point out, it'd be the fins on the shoulders.

You know, I think I wouldn't mind changing my Terrapin for one of these beasties!
Just a brief example, but it is a big project and will not be completed soon.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Don't mess with the >CLASSIFIED< or you will regret it for about 0.4 seconds.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

A new fighter in testing at Pteredyne...

rear view

side view

front view
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

What's that opening below? It's a nice model.
As for the texture, it's very... they're... how should I put it... it's what many would call awesome.

The problem is, most of those are with da homie motorgangsta boyz! IMHO, I don't believe a fighter would have all those lights.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Well, a fighter probably really wouldn't have all those lights, but they look gorgeous! So, please keep them :)
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

But a gang who is marking its territory with its presence would want all to notice it. And if they don't show the proper respect (by giving up some cargo) they can expect trouble!
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Not necessarily just pirate gangs... One thing I was somewhat grateful is that boyracers appear alone (I might shoot myself in disgust if I'm ever forced to suffer more than one at a time).

Now imagine a gang of those pricks reinforced with these lit gangsta fighters, parading on the lanes - insulting and demanding respect at laserpoint, and pushing everybody out of the way... :evil: To worsen things, they'd jam communications by flooding the channels with the foulest so-called music since when Melkor was kicked from the celestial choir.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
A new fighter in testing at Pteredyne...

rear view

side view

front view
Very nice ship, Cmdr Wyvern. And a nice new avatar too. It's a whole new you! :D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

@Maegil,

The "opening below" is it's integrated fuel/matter scoop. Now as for your vehemently shooting your mouth off complaint about the Trontech(tm) lighting, it's been duly noted. Nevermind that these ships would never be sold to boyracers, pirates, or other such troublemakers and fiends, but if they were you'd likely be glad it's an easily spotted target, hmm?

Nonetheless, just for you, a round of pics of the prototype sans Trontech lighting. We simply pulled a fuse...

Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Now as for your vehemently shooting your mouth off complaint about the Trontech(tm) lighting, it's been duly noted. Nevermind that these ships would never be sold to boyracers, pirates, or other such troublemakers and fiends, but if they were you'd likely be glad it's an easily spotted target, hmm?
Nonetheless, just for you, a round of pics of the prototype sans Trontech lighting. We simply pulled a fuse...
Well, sorry for being such an wiseass so ve...veme...vehem... that thing, but you must admit the ship now looks much more business-like... even though the nav lights look a little weird. :mrgreen:

Seriously, now - after the hard work it must have taken you to create such complex texture, I really think it'd be a shame to lose it; unfortunately (again IMHO, whatever worth that may have) its lighting is as ill-suited for a serious Oolite fighter as it'd be on a RL PT boat
I would advise you to rename that model as "da gangsta fita" and reserve it for a more fitting use (boyracers, pirates, or other such troublemakers and fiends).
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Is there any reason that the running lights simply couldn't turn off during combat? You see it miles away from its' distinctive running lights and know to avoid it, but if you don't, the lights go off and now it's a tough one to see making it harder to fight. :D

The sky is the limit on this idea. Ships can have camouflage paint that goes from bright and garish to dark when combat starts(condition red) for both player and npcs. A little script attached to the ship to switch materials depending on alert condition is elementary. Same method for the running lights.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs