3D galaxy prototype

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: 3D galaxy prototype

Post by Gimi »

drew wrote:
My biggest objection to the charts is that they are rectangular and have an arbitary cut off.
I want to go explore the other side of Riedquat. I've heard rumours it's unfriendly, sounds like fun!
Cheers,
Drew.
So all 8 on one page that is scrollable, but with gaps of maybe 40ly between each galaxy sectors to justify the galaxy drive, would be more realistic, and then player generated galaxies sectors can be added along the edges. Can of course be done in 3d as well.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
My biggest objection to the charts is that they are rectangular and have an arbitary cut off.
I want to go explore the other side of Riedquat. I've heard rumours it's unfriendly, sounds like fun!
Cheers,
Drew.
So all 8 on one page that is scrollable, but with gaps of maybe 40ly between each galaxy sectors to justify the galaxy drive, would be more realistic, and then player generated galaxies sectors can be added along the edges. Can of course be done in 3d as well.
Great idea!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

drew wrote:

Cheers,

Drew.
I've always just presumed/justified the Charts as efficient/useful layouts of the actual Galcop space - the difference between the London Underground map as we know it and the actual London Underground layout...

Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Giving this ooold thread a friendly bump since it's something worth revisiting.
We don't have to have a map that looks like something from the 8-bit age, do we?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Zireael wrote: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:19 pm
We don't have to have a map that looks like something from the 8-bit age, do we?
Don't we?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:06 am
Zireael wrote: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:19 pm
Don't we?
Actually the resoning behind galaxy count (8) and galaxy size (256 stars) sounds extremely 8 bit.

I am having a look at some other game and even enjoy the graphical UI. And coming back to Oolite from that makes it extremely visible to me:
the whole screen layout, which reminds just of the 25 lines and 40 characters per line is aged and might need a refurbishment. Some nice widgets, consistent mouse/keyboard interaction (in some dialogues I can use the mouse, in others I cannot), more up to date and thus intuitive navigation keys (why would I use the left/right buttons in a veritcal list to scroll pages, where we all have Page Up/Down?). Where are the scrollbars?

I think I could list more...
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:49 pm
why would I use the left/right buttons in a veritcal list to scroll pages, where we all have Page Up/Down?
Page Up/Down should work on all but OXP mission screens. Is there a core screen that has multiple pages that you've found doesn't accept page up/down?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:01 am
why would I use the left/right buttons in a veritcal list to scroll pages, where we all have Page Up/Down?
Page Up/Down should work on all but OXP mission screens. Is there a core screen that has multiple pages that you've found doesn't accept page up/down?
Seems to be double key binding indeed. Somewhere (maybe documentation) I got pointed to using left/right and did not check pg up/dn. Or was it the UI indicating something with left/right arrows?

But the mouse behaviour does not work, which shows when I start Oolite and am able to operate the main menu, load game etc all with the mouse, but as soon as the F5 screen is displayed there is nothing else for the mouse to be done. Not even clicking the "More -->" line will browse the equipment.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

hiran wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:27 am
phkb wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:01 am
Seems to be double key binding indeed. Somewhere (maybe documentation) I got pointed to using left/right and did not check pg up/dn. Or was it the UI indicating something with left/right arrows?

But the mouse behaviour does not work, which shows when I start Oolite and am able to operate the main menu, load game etc all with the mouse, but as soon as the F5 screen is displayed there is nothing else for the mouse to be done. Not even clicking the "More -->" line will browse the equipment.
I again experienced the mouse also does not work when some mission screens pop up. I just tried to select the question "Hey bub, where is the collector?" but the mouse was blind and pressing enter worked.