[RELEASE] InterstellarRescue.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Re: [RELEASE] InterstellarRescue.oxp

Post by Commander Wilmot »

I have hitched a ride on a behemoth, too. I didn't realize the ability to do was unintended. I have had fuel every time I tried it, but I didn't want to use it. I never got to my original destination doing this, but my original destination was never important.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Spartan wrote:
Actually I goofed. As I understand it there is currently a bug/feature that any time you dock in interstellar space, you will be in a system when you launch again. I prefer to look at it as a free ride out, they opened a wormhole while you were docked. This happened to me the first time I misjumped, A Behemoth and a few fighters had survived the encounter, and I decided excellent, I can get some fuel. When I launched I was in a different system, not the one I left nor the one I was headed to. As I was happy to be back in civilized space I did not complain.

My story should have had me finding a wounded ship, a beacon would have been a good thing, and maybe a message to dock fast as they were gonna try to jump before repairs failed or some such.

apply handwavium as needed. Eh, it was just an off the top of my head quick response.
Maybe the Behemoth has plenty of fuel but they can't spin up their witchdrive to generate a wormhole. With the player's assistance though the survivors link the engines together and – despite alarming noise, vibration, etc. – in combination the two engines are able to create a wormhole big enough to take the Behemoth, with the player's ship inside, through to the next system.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Disembodied wrote:
Spartan wrote:
Actually I goofed. As I understand it there is currently a bug/feature that any time you dock in interstellar space, you will be in a system when you launch again. I prefer to look at it as a free ride out, they opened a wormhole while you were docked. This happened to me the first time I misjumped, A Behemoth and a few fighters had survived the encounter, and I decided excellent, I can get some fuel. When I launched I was in a different system, not the one I left nor the one I was headed to. As I was happy to be back in civilized space I did not complain.

My story should have had me finding a wounded ship, a beacon would have been a good thing, and maybe a message to dock fast as they were gonna try to jump before repairs failed or some such.

apply handwavium as needed. Eh, it was just an off the top of my head quick response.
Maybe the Behemoth has plenty of fuel but they can't spin up their witchdrive to generate a wormhole. With the player's assistance though the survivors link the engines together and – despite alarming noise, vibration, etc. – in combination the two engines are able to create a wormhole big enough to take the Behemoth, with the player's ship inside, through to the next system.
Or, along similar lines, thinking about the new land speed record car that uses an F1 engine as its fuel pump... there is a fault in the Behemoth's Jump Engine and it needs the player's ship's engine to "kick start" it (i.e. cause the initial deformation in the space-time fabric of the Ooniverse...)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Or, along similar lines, thinking about the new land speed record car that uses an F1 engine as its fuel pump... there is a fault in the Behemoth's Jump Engine and it needs the player's ship's engine to "kick start" it (i.e. cause the initial deformation in the space-time fabric of the Ooniverse...)
That would work ... all they need is a functioning witchdrive to initiate their own!