Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Applying AI to classify the ships of Oolite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Applying AI to classify the ships of Oolite

Post by Disembodied »

TGHC wrote:
And we've already got variable fuel costs for different types of ships:
Oooooh I didn't know that, how is that working then?
It's in this thread here ...
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

Disembodied wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
My whole point is that no such thing as a 'correct price' exists. Contra-factually pretending that it does can only lead to confusion and faux-debates.
But if the whole thing is contained within a game context, e.g. within the pages of What Starship? or a report by Makandal's Intergalactic Mammaloid Consumers' Association, then any resulting in-game confusion and debate are entirely proper, and add to the game-in-the-head. A Fer-de-Lance is hugely over-priced, by the statistics; what you're paying for is the megawalnut veneer and the aura of exclusivity. I mean, compare the reverberating clang when a Python's airlock bangs shut with the whisper-soft thunk you get when you tighten up your Ferdy: it's brute-force mechanical compared to hand-crafted perfection, and that's what you're paying for.
Makandal would like to state he is NOT a member of IMCA and will never support, sign, preface any report from the IMCA.
With the reaction I see about the pricing, I think Makandal will, with utmost caution, move out of this touchy and sensitive subject.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Makandal wrote:
Makandal would like to state he is NOT a member of IMCA and will never support, sign, preface any report from the IMCA.
With the reaction I see about the pricing, I think Makandal will, with utmost caution, move out of this touchy and sensitive subject.
I think it's just a matter of presentation. ;) I don't see anything wrong with at least giving designers some sort of idea about what sort of price band a ship might be suited for. Traditionally there should be eight – something like: Economy, Value, Inexpensive, Mid-Range, Expensive, High, Exclusive and Extreme.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Disembodied wrote:
Makandal wrote:
I think it's just a matter of presentation. ;) I don't see anything wrong with at least giving designers some sort of idea about what sort of price band a ship might be suited for. Traditionally there should be eight – something like: Economy, Value, Inexpensive, Mid-Range, Expensive, High, Exclusive and Extreme.
Seconded.
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

That was the intention. I might be a bit rude sometimes in my presentation. I am a geologist, not a psychologist.

I forgot to present 2 algorithms called "Association Rules Algorithm" and CN2. They are pretty interesting because it uses "natural language". Some rules are pretty straight forward:
If Cargo bay extension<=1.00 AND Military shields available=Yes, Shield boosters available=Yes

Other are more subtle:
If EnergyRechargeRate>3 AND MilitaryShieldAvailable=1, MaxSpeed[0.359, 0.373]
If EnergyRechargeRate>3 AND MissileSlots>3, Cargo_Capacity[17, 45]

Once more, this is not a firm guideline to build ships. I advise you to read this article on allometry laws of flight, the approach is similar.
These are just pretty hard trends emerging from the 160 ships I have on my list (All these rules are supported by more than 25% of the ships.).
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

It's always interesting and sometimes exciting to see a completely new idea. With the breadth and depth of creativity on this board someone will no doubt be able to make some good use of this analysis.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"