Constrictor Mission (*Some Spoilers*)...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

I found the rest of the mission (at last)! Only to find that when I reached the destination system some other git got to the Constrictor 1st!!! I got the congratulatory message when UI had done diddly squat.
Team Zorg are Go!
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

This seems to be an unfortunate side effect of the otherwise superb AI. Would it not be possible to set some sort of flag thats says pirates do not attack this ship OR just make the ship immune to anyone's fire except your own?

It seems a shame to have a mission that you can complete without actually completing it yourself, if you see what I mean.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

I think the main problem is the 60 second delay after entering the system before the constrictor appears. Unless you know to wait for it to appear, most pilots will zoom off from the witch point leaving the constrictor to the first bounty hunters or police that arrive.

I shall remove the delay and add the adjusted script.plist to the next patch.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

how can i go back & fight the b'stard?
Team Zorg are Go!
stevesims
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by stevesims »

Hmmmm... Yeah... The delay would especially be a problem for the Constrictor if encountered 6 police ships in formation. :-)

As you have observed the delay would almost certainly have meant that very few people would ever find the Constrictor, so yes, remove it!

Of course shouldn't there be some kind of mission failure should somebody else destroy the Constrictor?
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

jonnycuba wrote:
how can i go back & fight the b'stard?
Adjust the mission_conhunt variable in your saved game from MISSION_COMPLETE to STAGE_1
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Weird... Got to planet, guy says: "Yeah, we got that strange ship here, fitted it with galactic hyperdrive, too" (or something similar.)

So I guess I have to buy that thing too? But the planet only has basic stuff to sell... No Galactic Hyperdrive. Never saw that one listed in shops IIRC, either. Maybe it's in a special place? (confused confused...)

And... It's not saying *where* it went. (Or do you automatically go to the right galaxy? 1-> 2 ->3 etc...
stevesims
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by stevesims »

The galaxy jump progression is indeed 1 -> 2, then 2 -> 3, all the way to 8 when you loop back to 1 again.

Galactic hyperdrives can be bought from tech-level 12 worlds or higher.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Aah, Thanks!

Grumble, grumble... That intergalactic watchacallit gizmo will surely cost an arm and a leg, better start counting my dough! :wink:
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Me again....

Do you have to jump galaxies from the point the constrictor jumped, or is that unnecc.? Is that jumping random or not etc...

And the drive is one-shot? Hmmm... Gathering from the posts, the constrictor being at least in galaxy 3, that bounty of 5000cr. is errr... Not very inviting, heehee!
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

Rxke wrote:
Me again....

Do you have to jump galaxies from the point the constrictor jumped, or is that unnecc.? Is that jumping random or not etc...

You always jump to the same place in galaxy 2, so no you don't have to jump from the same place.

And the drive is one-shot? Hmmm... Gathering from the posts, the constrictor being at least in galaxy 3, that bounty of 5000cr. is errr... Not very inviting, heehee!
The Constrictor is in Galaxy 2...
Team Zorg are Go!
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

Rxke wrote:
Me again....

You always jump to the same place in galaxy 2, so no you don't have to jump from the same place.
The Constrictor is in Galaxy 2...but hard to find.
Team Zorg are Go!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Thank you.

Oh, YALQ: (Yet Another Lame Question)

How do you know when you meet it? Is it labeled as Constrictor (with the missile I.D. thingy) or not? If not, you'd have to blow everything in every single system, just to make sure, phew...
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

Rxke wrote:
Thank you.

Oh, YALQ: (Yet Another Lame Question)

How do you know when you meet it? Is it labeled as Constrictor (with the missile I.D. thingy) or not? If not, you'd have to blow everything in every single system, just to make sure, phew...
You will be able to I.D. it with said thingy!
Team Zorg are Go!
stevesims
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by stevesims »

Not only can you ID the constrictor with missile targeting, but it also has a distinctive paint job, as was shown to you at the mission briefing.

It's a shame you can't review the briefing, but maybe one day that will be possible.

Personally I've only just re-started the Constrictor mission - last time I started it there was a bug which meant it got completed very quickly, and when I reset the mission info I was in galaxy 3... With a bit of luck I'll track him down this afternoon and kill him. :twisted: