Constrictor Mission (*Some Spoilers*)...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Constrictor Mission (*Some Spoilers*)...

Post by Venator Dha »

OldThrashbarg wrote:
I need Help.

When i got the briefing in Galaxy one i had some passengers that each paid >10000 Cr, so i first dropped them off on the other side of the Galaxy before beginning the hunt in Xeer. Does that affect the hunt?
No, you can take as much time as you want before starting the hunt. This might be advisable if you're not 'iron assed'.
OldThrashbarg wrote:
My second problem is that after 10 or so Jumps in Galaxy 2 i must have accidentally hit the Galhyp-key without realizing. I did allready overwrite the Savegame so i just can go through the whole cycle. The ship can only be found in galaxy 2, right?
Yes, the ship will be in Gal 2, you'll have to do the 8 to get back to Gal2. Think of the adventure, the sights, the experiences you'll have.
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
OldThrashbarg
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OldThrashbarg »

Oh no! :cry:

Other missions won't be triggered when on a mission, right?
Scince i have > 100000 Cr i could just spend 50000 Cr on the necessary galaxy jumps.
I also took a look at the savegame-file but i don't know if it's safe to mess with it.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

If you intend to tinker with your save-file, be sure to make a copy first.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

And now you know why it's generally not a good idea to buy a GalJump drive until you intend to use it! :lol:
Cody wrote:
If you intend to tinker with your save-file, be sure to make a copy first.
Just be sure not to use Notepad to edit Oolite files, if you're on Windows! (It trashes the files in non-obvious ways) Wordpad is fine, though we generally recommend Notepad++ for editing game files, as it has quite a few useful features, as well as being free.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
OldThrashbarg
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OldThrashbarg »

Thanks for the advice. I viewed it in Firefox 40 but decided to be honest and cycle through all Galaxies. Now i am in Galaxy two again. I wonder if it's in a rock hermit. nah nevermind, i'll just keep on searching, thanks.
Cody

Post by Cody »

If memory serves, try the northeast quadrant.
OldThrashbarg
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OldThrashbarg »

Thanks. I did it. I am not sure but i think i've read that you'd get a naval shield or something in addition to the kills and the credits. Is this not correct (for any of the scenarios of completing the mission)?
Cody

Post by Cody »

That's another, later, mission!
Harmless
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Harmless »

The original recycling bug:
...that ship was placed in the recycling area for ships...
... I may have discovered another "recycling" bug...

First, I'd like to express my thanks to everyone for the help on the constrictor hunt -- I'd never have succeeded without the "F7" hint! LOL!

Having picked up the trail at Reesdice, I followed and eventually learned that the constrictor had jumped to galaxy 2, and although the trail went cold when I followed, I circled around my galaxy 2 landing system in a spiral pattern until I picked up the trail again. In Orarra, I met my nemesis. It was a great struggle, but eventually he abandoned ship, leaving the constrictor derelict.

I closed with the derelict and launched my Salvage missile. I burned the last of my witchspace fuel trying to keep up as it transited in-system to the deep space dredger. Before it reached the dredger, I checked my kills and cash. After it was recycled, neither my cash nor my kills changed. I docked at the dredger -- no effect. I launched and landed at Orarra main station. No effect, EXCEPT that F7 continued to give me clues -- it said "There's a real deadly pirate out there."

Next I'll launch to see if I discover the constrictor, live and threatening all near-space again, as if it had never been scrapped. Although, it just occurred to me to save, quit, and copy my logs first.

I'll keep you informed!
Harmless
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Harmless »

Confirmed, I am pausing 4b68e0c to dispatch this note, as I have just met the constrictor (reborn!) at the witchspace buoy. I suppose it's possible to create an infinite number of OXPs or OXZs that break even the original Elite missions. I believe the deep space dredger OXZ or OXP provides a bonus -- it allows players to enjoy this mission over and over again!

Regards

P.S. I don't say this often enough -- what a great body of work Oolite is! The core code, and the OXPs / OXZs, are terriffic! BTW, this time I'll not salvage the constrictor -- I'll just shoot the guy (or he'll shoot me!). I'd say this issue is a pretty low priority in the grand scheme of things if I'm the first guy who's noticed it.
Harmless
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Harmless »

Wow, he abandoned ship again! I wonder if I should leave the abandoned ship at the witchspace point, hurry to the planet, and save? Does flotsam get saved? Or is it forgotten with a save? Of course, others may take care of it before I return...

----

Ok here's what I've learned. I left the derelict at the witchpoint while I docked at the station. I bought fuel, checked F7 (it gave that same message about the bad pirate in-system), saved the game, and launched. When I returned to the witchpoint, the derelict constrictor was still there.

Then I accidentally hit energy bomb and destroyed the witchpoint and the derelict constrictor. Oops! Rather than take credit for the kill, I quit and reloaded the saved game in which I had left the derelict at the witchbuoy. On returning to the witchbuoy, the constrictor was reconstituted and in fighting fettle, again! I suppose while I was gone someone took it over, repaired any damage, and have taken up where the last fellow left off...

Before I left the witchpoint to save the game, did I mention that in cold blood I gunned down the last fellow's escape capsule? I haven't done that before, but I didn't want him to turn around and repossess that abandoned constrictor.

Anyway, I now have an oolite-save file with the constrictor reliably appearing at the system's witchpoint.

I've learned that if you leave the derelict in order to dock & save the game, then return, the derelict can still be there intact (it was for me, anyway).

I've learned that if you quit and then RELOAD that savegame, the derelict will have reconstituted into a full-up fighting round.

Well, this has been such a great deal of fun! I think I'll enjoy struggling with that combat one more time before I move on! :)
Last edited by Harmless on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The mission objective is to seek and destroy. Just destroy the vessel. Bonus points if you capture the escape pod.
Harmless
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Harmless »

Thanks! Mission accomplished, Quite Grand Sub-Admiral, SIR!
<Stomps to attention and salutes in proper Monty Python fashion>

And thanks for this great game which just gets more fun as you play :)