{WIP} navy carrier upgrade. CNV Thor class.

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: {WIP} navy carrier upgrade. CNV Thor class.

Post by JensAyton »

CheeseRedux wrote:
Frøy/Frei/Frøya/Freia
You seem to be conflating [wp]Freyr[/wp] with his sister [wp]Freyja[/wp].

In that list of Wikipedia names, Some are anglicised and others are not. For instance, Snorri spelled Odin and Thor Óðinn and Þórr, respectively. If you go with this sort of naming scheme, I suggest trying to consistently use anglicised names, or consistently use Norse forms. (The Norse forms will work in standard Oolite, but not in some of the localized versions, e.g. Russian Oolite.)
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Thats FANTASTIC (yes with capitals) work. Wonder if you also can make my idea for the Cobra Command Carrier. Docking deck like a Suberhub although not round.

And a reworking of the original Behemoth of Course :))

https://bb.oolite.space/search.php?keywo ... mit=Search
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Ahruman wrote:
You seem to be conflating [wp]Freyr[/wp] with his sister [wp]Freyja[/wp].
Well, there you go. 's what happens when I C&P a list and only use the first bit with the guys in it. :oops:

At any rate, my main purpose was to show that
- the Norse pantheon has a plethora of names that can be used if someone wants consistent names for a bunch of ships
- the spelling can be juggled around a bit without too much danger of being beheaded by berserking Scandahoovians (much like the 43 different ways the media is spelling the name of that soon-to-be-dead dictator in Northern Africa)
- Ahruman can be tricked into writing more than 3 words in a single post^

^Okay, that was really just a fortunate side effect.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

CheeseRedux wrote:
Ahruman can be tricked into writing more than 3 words in a single post
What, like this?
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Indeed.

(Though I should have been more specific: I was thinking of replies, not OPs.)
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Now this is interesting. Dertien, if you choose to name ships after the Norse gods, may suggest that you use God names for "capital ships" (the large ones) and the names of their weapons and belongings for the smaller ships. Let me give you some examples.

Please note: All the spelling here is in modern Norwegian, if this is of interest I'll dig out the old Norse or Anglicised spellings. Also, this is just a quick introduction. There is a lot more if you choose to use this and run out of names for a certain category.

For the really large ships (Carriers etc.) names like:
Valhall (The huge house/hall were the dead vikings and their gods had their banquettes and did battle. All who died would be resurrected and could continue to party after the battle.)
Yggdrasil (The world tree who's roots extended into the worlds of the gods.)

For large ships: God names, and there are many more than mentioned here so far.

For smaller classes of ships:
Odins eight legged horse, Sleipner (Really fast and could travel on land, on water and in the air): Name for a really fast interdict type of ship. If you need another, Sleipners father is Svadilfare.
Thors hammer, Mjølner: For a not to big, but powerful gun ship class. (Black monk style)
Odins ravens, Hugin and Munin, who scouted and spied for him (Nothing that happened in the land of the gods could escape their keen eyes): For small fast scout ships. (They are featured on the emblem of the Norwegian Intelligence Service)
Odins wolfs Gere and Freke (The names both mean greedy):

And a lot more......

Just my 2 øre's worth. :)
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

Went to bed early yesterday for a change at 10.00 pm. Thanks for all positive feedback.

@ Gibbon, yes it is dockable from the front, I'll post you the obj file if you want to use it in your project.

@ TGHC yes that is the reason why I minimized the use of windows on the side of the carrier but my idea was to make it look like a flat-top from the old age. A cruise ship hasn't got a beam of that magnitude, so unfortunately, I am not compelled to turn it into a cruise liner. I am even thinking of putting less lights and windows on the top and the colour will definitely be different from the stations. This was just a quick ingame test. (there could be cruiseliner coming up soon too :D who knows ?

There is a train of thought there (no pun intended), and it will definitely look into it. The "zephir startrain" in the thread that pagroove mentioned might inspire me there.

@ Ahruman, I will stick to the English renaming convention to keep its overall Oolite compatibility 100%. I wouldn't want to get in trouble with the Russians :)

@ pagroove. Well I had something like that in mind, by making a flat top looking ship. I only thought it wasn't possible to fly in on one side and come out on the other. Besides I think that Thargoid is busy enough as it is and I don't want to ask him to make me a script more than twice in one week. (no Thargoid this is not a hint !) Let me cook up something and well see what it looks like this evening :D

@ Gimi, interesting BG information there, as I am a total noob concerning skandinavian mythology, and the naming will be coupled to the size/function of its mythological avatar as much as I can.
Alpha Backer of Elite Dangerous
With 250 GBP :D
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Hint not taken ;)

Although to be honest doing something like that isn't too difficult in scripting - I might throw together a quick script to make ships launch out of the back door of a station just as a demo next week if I get bored...
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Thargoid wrote:
Hint not taken ;)
Although to be honest doing something like that isn't too difficult in scripting - I might throw together a quick script to make ships launch out of the back door of a station just as a demo next week if I get bored...
You tend to get bored a lot. Why is that? :D
(Not that I'm complaining)
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Gimi wrote:
If you need another, Sleipners father is Svadilfare.
And his mother is Loki. Yeah, that Loki. Norse mythology is at least as weird as Greek mythology. :-)
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Ahruman wrote:
Gimi wrote:
If you need another, Sleipners father is Svadilfare.
And his mother is Loki. Yeah, that Loki. Norse mythology is at least as weird as Greek mythology. :-)
I know, but I considered that a bit too weird to bring up here. :roll:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

As a purely naval-style alternative, how about: 'Dreadnought' class and 'Conqueror' class?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Or (with a nod to Steve Jackson Games) "Ogre" class?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Gimi wrote:
You tend to get bored a lot. Why is that? :D
(Not that I'm complaining)
I live in England but work mostly in France and occasionally Italy and Germany. So spend a lot of time in either hotel rooms or easyJet planes (says he writing this sat in Geneva Airport waiting for one of the latter).

Nuff sed ;)
Cody

Post by Cody »

It's a glamorous life, the life of a travelling OXP salesman.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!