[NEW-RELEASE] - ZGrOovy Griff System Stations AMENDED -

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander Ragugaki
Competent
Competent

Re: [NEW-RELEASE] - ZGrOovy Griff System Stations AMENDED -

Post by Commander Ragugaki »

Ahruman wrote:
Griff’s vertex shader idea is good, but it would be more efficient to put the “flashers” in a single model, scaled down on the z axis (perhaps by a factor of 100), then scaling them back in the shader. This way, they can all be rendered in one batch, and use less memory.
Rendered in one batch... less memory... got that bit but lost it on the other technical stuff.

REALLY like the "flashers" 'cos way back in 1984 - I crashed too many times trying to pitch, roll, yaw on my Acorn Electron - joystick not included. :lol:

These stations make Oolite special. Thanks all!
"And... sweet Lord Giles on a gyro-spider, they didn't even fit you out with a docking computer!"
Have you tried docking at full speed lately?
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

Ahruman wrote:
Griff’s vertex shader idea is good, but it would be more efficient to put the “flashers” in a single model, scaled down on the z axis (perhaps by a factor of 100), then scaling them back in the shader. This way, they can all be rendered in one batch, and use less memory.

And, as I keep saying, there’s no need to use subentities for static things like this. Put the “flashers” in the same model as the base ship but with a different texture. Save as OBJ, convert to DAT, then you’ll have a DAT with two textures in and you can assign material properties to each texture name.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't if the z-offset value will work correctly that way when putting them all in one obj file. Besides, the nice thing with this is that if you like to have 10 flashers instad of 5 you just add 5 more lines without having to fumble with the obj file.
Alpha Backer of Elite Dangerous
With 250 GBP :D
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

dertien wrote:
I understand what you're saying, but I don't if the z-offset value will work correctly that way when putting them all in one obj file.
The scaling vertex shader would only be applied to parts with the “flasher” material.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Added to the [wiki]OXP-List[/wiki]
XB7
Competent
Competent

Post by XB7 »

I just loaded this oxp a few days ago. Love the running lights! What a nice touch.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Just found this OXP by reading back a couple of pages in the Expansion Pack forum (now nicely bumped!).

Been waiting for someone to do this for ages, especially since Griff has not been able/willing to make an Ico station (no idea!).

One question: will the standard stations still be used, or can I set these to appear instead of the standard stations? I would prefer never to see the standard stations again! ;)
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
commanderxairon
Deadly
Deadly

Post by commanderxairon »

this inspires me to make a stations shipset to expand mine's o.o
Pirate Commander: I would taken over Anleis and maked the first pirate system on this Ooniverse and become the monarch of all that empire if This stupid boy and his ship would'nt interfeer

Kuroshido(RXS-mariana) : scooby doobi doo?....

MY CREW
Gibbon
Competent
Competent

Post by Gibbon »

They look great in Freelancer as well :)