The Oolite chatroom

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Alex_F
Average
Average

Re: The Oolite chatroom

Post by Alex_F »

Yesterday I won the first multi-enemy-fight (6 of them). They were all offender/fugitive, but they didn't attack me. So I rammed one after the other, starting with the smaller ones. It was hard for the shields, and lost few containers, but since no shots were fired, they didn't fight back, strangely. The last two were shot down with lasers, as I feared they were too large for my Cobra. Didn't know this was a working way to switch off enemies! :D

Alex
Clean and dangerous. So far...
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

It will be a very long way to go, if you kill by ramming... Nice idea though 8)
I killed some poor sidewinder by ramming yesterday, when I docked on injector speed and suddenly had some oncoming traffic.
:lol:
ocz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by ocz »

While ramming targets into death is fun, it's not so much fun beeing rammed. There where situations where I fought of wave after wave of offender fleets. For an instance: Me vs. 8 ships (2 groups), than another group + 1 fugitive (together 5 ships) and than "Oh, come on!" another group. And you know what one son of a (you know what) in a kraite did? Playing Dominion Destroyer vs. Galaxy Class Cruiser with me. The first thing that dude did! :evil

If one of the vessels still has shields left, the impact power should be reduced greatly and they should bounce off. It's fun to ram things out of the way for a couple of minutes, but very frustrating to be instantaneously killed by an npc without your fault.
Zark Montor
Competent
Competent

Post by Zark Montor »

just read back a couple of pages and heard mention of Braben and Bell. Interesting... but had you not thought about Oolite and the appearance of Elite Dangerous? After Frontier tanked, and i mean TANKED! (I remember it on the Amiga and wish i hadn't) the trail went decidedly cold on the Elite Frontier :lol:

David Braben was a nice bloke from when i met him at the PCW show in about 87/88 for the release of Elite on Amiga/Atari ST. Ian Bell was more reclusive back then and never did the whole PR thang.

I personally believe that Oolite can probably hold itself partly responsible for the existence of ED, by showing the level of interest that still exists for Elite and what could be done with less restraints on time and memory usage, updated storage, distribution methods and having a passionate userbase.

I say partly and of course i mean like about 50% responsible.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has told whoever publishes ED to leave this project alone, as some jumped up law intern might see this as easy meat to make a name for himself. It isn't difficult to find Oolite by searching for Elite!

Look at Nintendo and how petty they have been about their games. dead code bought to life by the large numbers of people using emulators to play old favourites. Cinemaware used to offer their ENTIRE amiga collection FREE on their website, in ADF format, so you could play them on WINUAE. Now, Defender of the Crown and The Three Stooges have had reboots and many other titles are being considered for tweaking for a new lease of life. Removed from their online download section.

just a thought.....
I have returned! Less annoying and still enjoying the mighty Oo!
1.86 on self reconned dell studio xps thru Pep 8/64. Runs very well.
Nice to see its still well supported. Oo, Suits you, Sir!
MSA-S23
Above Average
Above Average

Post by MSA-S23 »

Biggest. Bounty. Ever.

Don't blow up a Space Bar with a Q-Mine. Just don't.

Cheers,

Ash
CmdrGumbo
Competent
Competent

Post by CmdrGumbo »

One week into the game, Cr. 28K in the bank and finished a passenger delivery to Ara. Those two anachist pirates were too easy a target and got roasted by that shiny new military laser I had just purchased. But the best thing is: after docking I noticed that I got promoted to 'Mostly Harmless' ... bring em' on! *heh*
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

I'm forming the habit of connecting to Oolite's IRC ( irc.oft.net , #oolite channel ) when I play Oolite.

All you really need to be on IRC is an IRC client (there are plenty, since it's an old and open protocol - see the first posts in this thread for suggestions) and preferably two screens. And since IRC clients can be lightweight (unlike newer shiny kitchen sinks that require a browser), you can run both Oolite and IRC on a modest PC.
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by gsagostinho »

Astrobe wrote:
I'm forming the habit of connecting to Oolite's IRC ( irc.oft.net , #oolite channel ) when I play Oolite.
Nice to know there is an IRC channel for Oolite! Are people connecting often to it?

I would be amazing to have an IRC interface available in-game when we dock, wouldn't it? But I guess that's probably very tricky to be done.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

gsagostinho wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:35 pm
Nice to know there is an IRC channel for Oolite!
Oolite IRC was invaluable when the forum was hacked.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by gsagostinho »

Cody wrote:
Oolite IRC was invaluable when the forum was hacked.
Great stuff. I have always loved IRC but there are very little channels which enjoy to I hang out, so Oolite's will be on top of my list (together with Dwarf Fortress :wink: )
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

Also some streaming https://www.twitch.tv/astrobe
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

Switched to Smashcast (formerly HitboxTV) https://www.smashcast.tv/astrobe

Unfortunately my upstream bandwidth is limited so I can only broadcast in very low quality (and even then the stream has hiccups from time to time).

Twitch doesn't list my stream among the live streams or even the streams for Oolite or the FOSS community - maybe because I don't meet their streaming quality criteria. Smashcast does. My goal being to make people discover Oolite, so it will be Smashcast despite thr fact it is far less popular than Twitch.
Mortakapo
Poor
Poor

Post by Mortakapo »

MSA-S23 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:07 pm
Biggest. Bounty. Ever.

Don't blow up a Space Bar with a Q-Mine. Just don't.

Cheers,

Ash

What exactly do all the letters after the 'Energy:' heading stand for? I've been having a lot of trouble with various ships I've bought dropping to zero energy immediately upon undocking. Any advice would be appreciated.
We are everywhere.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Mortakapo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:19 pm
What exactly do all the letters after the 'Energy:' heading stand for?
The wiki page of CombatMFD describe it.
Worth to read the pages of your other OXPs too, need time but surely improve your gaming experience. Just start typing the name of an OXP into the search field and you will get a dropdown list of similar pages.
Amon2501
Competent
Competent

Post by Amon2501 »

i`ve seen some s--t right now. 3 thargoid warships were attacking the station and it was burning. When i killed the saucers their robots stopped in space and became a cargo (everyone around except the cops begun to pick it up). Could they really kill the station? And what if they did? An empty system then?