milk runs

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: milk runs

Post by CheeseRedux »

If you want to give McLane OXP ideas, why don't you try this one on for size.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

CheeseRedux wrote:
If you want to give McLane OXP ideas, why don't you try this one on for size.
Oh, I can handle this one [EliteWiki] retroactively! :D
treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by treczoks »

TGHC wrote:
There are 5 optimal trade routes in galaxy 1, where the greatest differences in prices will give you maximum profits:-
Ararus - Ensoreus
Raleen - Maesin
Inera - Raale
Erlage - Xeesenri
Qudira - Bierle
Hmm, depends on what one calls "optimal". My "Milkrun Calculator" seems to have a totally different opinion of "optimal" when it comes to find the best routes in Galaxy Sector 1:
4 Tianve (Rich Industrial Democracy) <-> Teanrebi (Poor Agricultural Corporate State)
4 Inera (Rich Industrial Corporate State) <-> Aanbiat (Poor Agricultural Democracy)
4 Ceesxe (Rich Industrial Corporate State) <-> Leoned (Average Agricultural Corporate State)
3 Zaatxe (Rich Industrial Corporate State) <-> Alaza (Average Agricultural Democracy)
3 Rexebe (Average Industrial Corporate State) <-> Usatqura (Poor Agricultural Democracy)
3 Rexebe (Average Industrial Corporate State) <-> Aanbiat (Poor Agricultural Democracy)
2 Tianve (Rich Industrial Democracy) <-> Alaza (Average Agricultural Democracy)
2 Ororqu (Average Industrial Democracy) <-> Usatqura (Poor Agricultural Democracy)
2 Ororqu (Average Industrial Democracy) <-> Aanbiat (Poor Agricultural Democracy)
2 Esteonbi (Average Industrial Democracy) <-> Tiinlebi (Poor Agricultural Democracy)
1 Arexe (Average Industrial Democracy) <-> Riveis (Average Agricultural Democracy)

Not only the profit counts, but also whether you can bring the profit home without too much trouble.

Yours, Christian
[It/we/I] [awoke]. [Identity]:[Undetermined], [Location]:[Undetermined], [Objective]:[Destroy]. [Priorize([Determination]:[Identity])]:[High]. [Execute].
Coeurlion
Average
Average
Location: Tasmania, Australia (mainly agricultural, democracy, TL7)

Post by Coeurlion »

For a novice commander,
I found the Tionisla (Ave. Ind, Democracy) <-> Isinor (Poor Ag, Confederacy)
also very helpful.
Low fuel requirements, safe worlds and quick to build up the moola
(with Tionisla at TL12 you get most anything for your ship)
If there's combat, I had no trouble with an under-spec Cobby.

Just my 2cr. worth :wink:
*Neil voice from 'The Young Ones' "Ouch, ouch! That laser's really hot! Heavy!"

Current stats:
Ship: Cobra Courier 'Hermes'
Rating: Deadly
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Certainly in the early days for a new commander the Tionisla - Isinor is one of the best choices. if you've moved on a bit as Harry 747 seems to have done he can travel further afield and visit some of the more dangerous systems after all you've got to get your kill count up as well and you can avoid the risky space lanes in the anarchy systems so I would still head for those optimal runs I suggested, you will get the best profits for platinum, furs and computers there.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Laenin (TL4 Communist Poor Agri.) <-> Xexedi (TL14 Confederacy Rich Industrial)
And separated by less than 1 LY, so you don't even need to top off your fuel every jump. :P
There's a bit of a pirate problem at each, but it pales in comparison to places like Ararus (TL4 Anarchy Poor Agri.)
Coeurlion
Average
Average

Post by Coeurlion »

Thanks TGHC, I should have looked at Harry's post more carefully :oops:
My attention seems to slipping a bit :?

Thinking about a novice pilot guide... might get those remaining 'little grey cells' working...

Current stats:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Coeurlion wrote:
Thinking about a novice pilot guide...
Do you mean something like [EliteWiki] the helpful musings of Lave station's docking master for a new pilot before his first flight?

Anyway, if you want to invest some of your brain power, we'll certainly welcome it. :D Personally I would plead that it doesn't give away every last little detail beforehand. After all this game is all about exploring and discovering, which doesn't make much sense if there's nothing left to discover and explore. An effort to put it in an in-Ooniverse perspective like Mr Gimlet, rather than an external game-manual, will certainly be appreciated. :wink:
Coeurlion
Average
Average

Post by Coeurlion »

I was thinking on those lines, from a 'retired trader/veteran... been there done that' perspective.
I was NOT thinking of a 'do this first/get this bit' etc., since I totally agree with your sentiments.
Mr Gimlet has a wealth of experience, but not from the pilot's seat :wink:

Current stats:
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Coeurlion wrote:
I was thinking on those lines, from a 'retired trader/veteran... been there done that' perspective.
I was NOT thinking of a 'do this first/get this bit' etc., since I totally agree with your sentiments.
Mr Gimlet has a wealth of experience, but not from the pilot's seat :wink:
Veteran Eliter... would be nice to have such a wealth of information...
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Mr Gimlets advice is also supplied as a pdf file in the install package on 1.74.2 along with the reference sheet and readme pdfs.
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Zireael wrote:
Veteran Eliter... would be nice to have such a wealth of information...
The 'Veteran Contrabandista's Handbook' will never be published.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

I am using in galaxy 1: The triangular route between Estonbi-Anlama-Tinilebi : low furs and computers to purchase.. high to sell on other planets. I have made enough credits that Tatanka now has long lances(military lasers) instead of my default lances. also now have extra energy pack and heat shields and injectors added to make him a formidable opponent. also 2 of the planets are close enough that I can break the witchspace interface and get to those who lurk in the netherworld with enough fuel to get out if I need to run. So far, I am getting the credits to afford the fuel tanks so I can do longer jumps. Now in the wisdom of the Dinah: "go forth with power and walk in the mocassins of the monster slayer." Yah-Ta-Hey
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

You should also be buying/selling platinum and gold as well, there are no cargo hold restrictions, but yo are limted to selling or buying a maximum of 125kg at a time.
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Gold and platinum do eventually add up to where they cut into your cargo space, but it takes a while to get enough for that to happen. I assume gems do as well, but since they come in grams, it'd take a loooong time to build up enough in your ship's safe to go over 500 kilos or whatever it is where Oolite decides your safe is taking up cargo space.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.