RELEASE - Remember This ? Cobra AC (Adv Classic) on page 1

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: {WIP} Remember this ? New Model screenshots ...

Post by Zireael »

Why do we argue about name? Say it's Cobra Prototype, end of story.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Zireael wrote:
Because we can. And the word you're looking for is probably more along the lines of "brainstorm", "discuss", "suggest", etc,etc.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Zireael wrote:
Who's arguing? :?

dertien has shown us beautiful Cobra MkIII (like) ship, being the creative types we are we then suggested a back-story, a reason for it's creation, where it might have come from, why it might exist and about fifteen creative names. That's what we do - it's why we're on the forums - somebody makes a suggestion and everybody runs with it, because we're interested in the work of others - and of course the beauty of this is that now dertien has more info than he knows what to do with, which is a much better position to be in than none at all...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Commander McLane wrote:
Another 'going all sensible' remark:

I wouldn't emphasize the prototype-aspect too much, because prototypes are—by definition—very rare. If you want to create a player-only ship which is basically only offered once, that's fine.

But if you want you ship to appear regularly as a trader/hunter/pirate NPC it makes much less sense. The player may meet several of the ships in each system. That's not what I expect of a prototype.

So, if the back story makes it into a prototype of the Cobra III (or an intermediate development step between Mk1 and III), there must be a reason why it was released to the mass market, yet still the familiar Cobra III was developed.

The obvious solution to this problem is of course to not pay too much attention to the back story and just enjoy the ship. :wink:
A design that was shelved because it didn't catch on, the chunky originals being preferred, opinion polls and focus group results weren't good, now with the release of the Neolite collection onto the market fashions are changing, "leaked" imagery onto the Galactic Wide Web has created a storm of interest, so the old blueprints have been dusted off, the old fabrication plants brought back to life and the retro-but-futuristic Cobra AC (or something) is about to hit the streets in large numbers...

How's that?
Selezen wrote:
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
A design that was shelved because it didn't catch on, the chunky originals being preferred, opinion polls and focus group results weren't good, now with the release of the Neolite collection onto the market fashions are changing, "leaked" imagery onto the Galactic Wide Web has created a storm of interest, so the old blueprints have been dusted off, the old fabrication plants brought back to life and the retro-but-futuristic Cobra AC (or something) is about to hit the streets in large numbers...
The sleek prototype had less cargo capacity than the release model. After checking with focus groups etc, etc, they decided they wanted more of that, and thus we ended up with the model we know today. Later, inspired by the Pimp My Cobra competition, the Cobra Courier (and its siblings), it's been decided to release some very much alike the old prototype after all.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

And because I don't like to half-ass things as they would put it in the States. There's a good article somewhere on the net that I read a couple of months ago about the Science behind the science fiction of star trek. The document is quite fun to read and also explains the difference between dumb science fiction and why we have all these names in Star Trek like Inertial Dampers etc...

With a backstory to the ship (as was pointed out by DaddyHoggy) the immesion factor is that much better, as we all know the biggest turnon happens between your ears and not in your pants. So we are not argueing about names, were just trying to come up with tomething that would fit it nicely instead of just labeling it like a downpriced crate filled with hydroponic tomatoes.

And the last reason is that I do take my time off very seriously. :D

Another thing: a screenshot comparing sizes between our well accustomed Griff Cobra Mk 3 and the Cobra AC. Added some detail to the hull too, but will take shots after texturing it.

XIII

Dammit, time for a smoke. cough!
Alpha Backer of Elite Dangerous
With 250 GBP :D
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

dertien wrote:
Dammit, time for a smoke. cough!
Have a drink as well!

:D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

dertien wrote:
And because I don't like to half-ass things as they would put it in the States. There's a good article somewhere on the net that I read a couple of months ago about the Science behind the science fiction of star trek. The document is quite fun to read and also explains the difference between dumb science fiction and why we have all these names in Star Trek like Inertial Dampers etc...
Gotta love those Heisenberg Compensator circuits!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

What it needs is a flux capacitor!

Once again a lovely ship Dertien WD
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

And don't forget to reverse its polarity! Polarity reversal is of the essence, regardless what 'it' is! :D
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

And some phase modulation, definitely need a bit of phase modulation....
Selezen wrote:
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

:lol: Engage.

Sorry couldn't resist on the screenshots. Had to redo part of the hull since the faces of the model looked crap. Sorry probably talking complete Chinese to you guys here. Anyways, first ingame screenshots still without texture alas. :) Also changed the cockpit a bit ( the extrusion at the front, so it looks more like a Cobra Mk III cockpit instead of an A wing without tails. Cargo Coop added at the bottom, and 2 extrusions on the top behind the cockpit not being the air inlet for the intercooler, but a docking computer and whichdrive fuel injectors, which come standard with the AC. :)

Ahh.. yes and the specs for the shipdata file. Left Cobra AC - Right Griff's Cobra Mk III

Code: Select all

energy_recharge_rate = 4.2;	// Original cobra_mk3: 4		
	max_cargo = 16; // Original cobra_mk3: 20
	max_energy = 286; // Original cobra_mk3: 256
	max_flight_pitch = 1.3; // Original cobra_mk3: 1 
	max_flight_roll = 2.4; // Original cobra_mk3: 2
	max_flight_speed = 370; // Original cobra_mk3: 350
	max_missiles = 5;	// Original cobra_mk3: 4
	missiles = 4; // Original cobra_mk3: 3	
	thrust = 35; // Original cobra_mk3: 32
How bout it chaps ?
Alpha Backer of Elite Dangerous
With 250 GBP :D
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

The ship Looks very nice and the stats look good to me. Maybe Cargo to 18. Instead of 16.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

pagroove wrote:
The ship Looks very nice and the stats look good to me. Maybe Cargo to 18. Instead of 16.
Or maybe 10, given that it's the only stat that's lower than the original... :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

That's certainly a 'performance model' Cobra, dertien, but not too extreme.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!