RELEASE - Remember This ? Cobra AC (Adv Classic) on page 1

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: {WIP} Remember this ? New Model screenshots ...

Post by Commander McLane »

CheeseRedux wrote:
I can't be sure, but maybe this name is [EliteWiki] also already taken (although in a different spelling). The ship has a typical snake-like appearance.
Last edited by Commander McLane on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Re: Paladin - D'oh!

Re: Naja - Phew!

Re: Not commenting on Latin name - no problems - just got me to think of something else

Re: Kissing my wife - all the time - I will try and remember one of them is from you...

EDIT: Naga -> Naja.... hmmmm... (That's the problem trying to keep with the snake family...)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Re: Paladin - D'oh!

Re: Naja - Phew!
Over time it's going to get increasingly difficult to come up with new names, naturally. I can only suggest to consult the Wiki first on already existing names.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Commander McLane wrote:
CheeseRedux wrote:
I can't be sure, but maybe this name is [EliteWiki] also already taken (although in a different spelling). The ship has a typical snake-like appearance.
Naga
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Yeah, I've found things named 'Naga' on Wikipedia as well, so probably the Naga isn't modeled on a naja. Still, I find the two names a little too close to each other.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

CheeseRedux wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
CheeseRedux wrote:
Naga
So that's alright then - Naga is a deity that takes on the form of a snake, whereas a Naja is the name of a sub-species of Cobra - so that's good - nicely done oh Cheesy-one!

As for the names being similar, well it's never stopped the car industry. (i.e. Brava, Bravo)
Selezen wrote:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

The Naga were also an ancient warrior tribe from Kashmir.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Another question is whether the ship needs a distinct (snake) name in the first place. I could also be just a Cobra III-variant, very much like the Dark Wheel Cobra which only appears as 'Cobra MkIII' in the game, along with the couple of in-built variations of differently textured Cobras.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Commander McLane wrote:
Another question is whether the ship needs a distinct (snake) name in the first place. I could also be just a Cobra III-variant, very much like the Dark Wheel Cobra which only appears as 'Cobra MkIII' in the game, along with the couple of in-built variations of differently textured Cobras.
Oh, come on. Don't go all sensible on us all of a sudden. It spoils all the fun! :P
--Dean C Engelhardt
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

Aren't there any names for classic british sportscars that fit a "curvy" ship ? It does have the lines of a Shelby Cobra like El Viejo said, but...

Also thought of Cobra Minerva (the Roman godess of craft and wisdom)

And futhermore also this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minerva_automobile
Alpha Backer of Elite Dangerous
With 250 GBP :D
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Commander McLane wrote:
Balancing the DW view with the Oolite view is potentially tricky I think.

We have the original low-poly model, both from the original game and here in Oolite. Now we have Griff's variant and Simon B's variant (plus a whole host of minor mods), but they're explainable in the same way I explained some time ago about how different the original Nissan Micra is from the latest variant, but all still called Micra. However, this one's a little different, I think, let's say the one on the front cover of the DW is the one Alex Ryder flew, let's say the one they acquired from TOGY was very old, one of the first MkIIIs, possibly even pre-production, as Gimi (?) suggested, then it explains the smooth showroom lines that never survived into mass production and cost cutting (or even fashion!), so let's say it's the Cobra Naja, not really the Cobra MkIII that was released to Joe Public, but close enough in shape and dimensions and engine config to be obviously a Cobra MkIII.

Just my thoughts obviously.
Selezen wrote:
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

El Viejo wrote:
Sorry dertien, I should've said... links to another thread.

HAHAHA, cool thread, got it now thanks EV.
Cody

Post by Cody »

The more I think about it, I think McLanes ‘sensible’ idea is good.
The Cobra Mk III AC…and it already has the 'seal of approval' from a_c.

PM for you dertien, btw.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Balancing the DW view with the Oolite view is potentially tricky I think.

We have the original low-poly model, both from the original game and here in Oolite. Now we have Griff's variant and Simon B's variant (plus a whole host of minor mods), but they're explainable in the same way I explained some time ago about how different the original Nissan Micra is from the latest variant, but all still called Micra. However, this one's a little different, I think, let's say the one on the front cover of the DW is the one Alex Ryder flew, let's say the one they acquired from TOGY was very old, one of the first MkIIIs, possibly even pre-production, as Gimi (?) suggested, then it explains the smooth showroom lines that never survived into mass production and cost cutting (or even fashion!), so let's say it's the Cobra Naja, not really the Cobra MkIII that was released to Joe Public, but close enough in shape and dimensions and engine config to be obviously a Cobra MkIII.

Just my thoughts obviously.
Well obviously the name Cobra is already in the name. But calling it a YAC Mk-3 (Yet Another Cobra) is indeed dull.
As this is not a simulation, like I was pointed out last week :D It isn't necessary to correlate the time line of the DW Novella's writing and the age of the appearance of this ship in Oolite (should it be a prototype or a Limited remake - Like BMW has done with the Austin Mini (yuck!), Chrysler has done with the PT cruiser (reviving the old curvy lines in a new design) or Fiat has done with the new Cinquecento.