Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Dredger OXP

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

Dredger OXP

Post by luminous »

When you have the Dredger OXP installed, and you have launched the salvager missile, how can you find the dredger? So far the only way I have been able to locate them is to follow the ship you have "tagged". However, if you are salvaging multiple ships, or get into a big furball defending the ships you are trying to get to the dredger it can be really hard to find your way back...

Is there some way around this?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Dredger OXP

Post by Smivs »

I might be wrong, but I think it's a 'D' on the advanced space compass.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by luminous »

I thought that too, but I'm not sure where I read that. If there is meant to be a D on the advanced compass then its missing. I have every extra bit of kit a Tech 15 station can sell to me...
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

luminous wrote:
I thought that too, but I'm not sure where I read that. If there is meant to be a D on the advanced compass then its missing. I have every extra bit of kit a Tech 15 station can sell to me...
Here on the Wiki. Or at least that's where I found it. I don't actually have the OXP installed. My modus operandi is probably better described as 'Aggressive Salvage'. :twisted:
luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by luminous »

Smivs wrote:
luminous wrote:
Here on the Wiki. Or at least that's where I found it. I don't actually have the OXP installed. My modus operandi is probably better described as 'Aggressive Salvage'. :twisted:
I too operate aggressively, hence the salvager OXP :) It spawns extra pirates that you can kill, missile any abandoned wrecks, and then wait for lots of cash :) Only of course it does not always go to plan....those extra pirates are a bit tough when you have the tough guys OXP added as well. You don't have long to kill them before they are all over your nice salvage.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

luminous wrote:
....those extra pirates are a bit tough when you have the tough guys OXP added as well. You don't have long to kill them before they are all over your nice salvage.
The rotters! And I fear it will only get worse. :twisted:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

luminous wrote:
Just to rule out the obvious: You are aware that you have to manually scroll through the icons on the advanced compass, are you? (Default key is '\'.)
luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by luminous »

Commander McLane wrote:
luminous wrote:
Just to rule out the obvious: You are aware that you have to manually scroll through the icons on the advanced compass, are you? (Default key is '\'.)
Yep, was aware of that :) I have run through all the icons that are present, I don't get a D at all. Does anyone else see a D, or is it possibly a bug that I am experiencing?
Last edited by luminous on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by luminous »

Smivs wrote:
luminous wrote:
....those extra pirates are a bit tough when you have the tough guys OXP added as well. You don't have long to kill them before they are all over your nice salvage.
The rotters! And I fear it will only get worse. :twisted:
Works out quite well, I seem to get attacked by up to 7 pirates. With tough guys and the Imperial Courier and Tiger as added ship OXPs that combination has proven painful on many occasions :shock:
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

I used to use the Dredgers OXP extensively, and I never remember seeing a 'D' on the Adv Compass. As you say you have to just follow the heading of the salvaged ship and plot the course. Thing get tasty when those groups of pirates fight you though. I remember always having to find the salvaged ship again to find the dredger, since it was still too small and distant to spot without any aid. :?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Poro wrote:
I used to use the Dredgers OXP extensively, and I never remember seeing a 'D' on the Adv Compass. As you say you have to just follow the heading of the salvaged ship and plot the course. Thing get tasty when those groups of pirates fight you though. I remember always having to find the salvaged ship again to find the dredger, since it was still too small and distant to spot without any aid. :?
1) There is no 'D' for the dredgers. It was only present in some test versions of the old oxp that only added the ship near the station.

2) It was deliberately designed that the player has to find the dredgers on-sight. 3 of the four models are already visible at the start of the mission. At the point of the first pirate confrontation, even the smallest dredger model is within draw distance. When systematic scanning the sky, you can always find it. As alternative you can make sure to always keep an eye on the ship to salvage. (since 1.74 it has a slightly different white colour than cargo & rocks)
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

Or set your target on your salvaged ship while you 'negotiate' with the pirates manually, so you can follow the arrows once 'mutual agreement' has been reached 8)
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

out of interest, can any ships be salvaged?
oxp ships?
mission ships?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Almost any ship with escape pods can be salvaged, though very large ones cannot.
Anything bigger than an Anaconda or Boa 2 may be too massive.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Eric Walch wrote:
1) There is no 'D' for the dredgers. It was only present in some test versions of the old oxp that only added the ship near the station.

2) It was deliberately designed that the player has to find the dredgers on-sight. 3 of the four models are already visible at the start of the mission. At the point of the first pirate confrontation, even the smallest dredger model is within draw distance. When systematic scanning the sky, you can always find it. As alternative you can make sure to always keep an eye on the ship to salvage. (since 1.74 it has a slightly different white colour than cargo & rocks)
Yes, I remember my sky-scanning routine, only if that failed did I seek out the salvaged ship in order to re-orient myself. It's one of those things that I like about Oolite: there isn't a computerised aid for everything in the game. Sometimes you just have to do things the old-fashioned manual way.